PDA

View Full Version : Way to adjust return spring on Campy 10sp rear der?

Lewis Moon
11-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Is there a way to adjust the return spring tension on a Campy 10sp rear derailleur? I've really tried to take all the drag out of the system: new teflon cables, new jagwire housing, clean bends.. I've oiled the pivots but it still seems a bit glitchy shifting to smaller cogs.

ultraman6970
11-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Campagnolo record 10? If its a record 10 then oyu might need to start thiking in rebuild it, the stuff gets weird when needs new insides, usually is the carrier the one to blame.

If its other 10 model then think in many things like bent rd hanger for example, or friction caused but the hoods.

W/o knowing the shifters hard to tell you what can be.

as for the spring, well you can not but maybe addind a piece of metal right under the spring could help. Second solution find a record one, those will shifr no matter how bad the things are with the cables.

good luck :)

Black Dog
11-02-2012, 05:41 PM
If there is a kink in the cable this will happen.

lhuerta
11-02-2012, 05:43 PM
I know that Record rear der have two holes inside the main pivot that allow you to set the main spring tension, however, I am fairly certain that they are set to higher tension from the factory. How old/worn is your der? Also, there may be other contributing factors. For example, a rear mech hanger that is out of alignment could hamper shifting in some gears but not others. Also, your B screw setting could also effect shifting performance. Lastly, make sure you have left an ample enough cable loop from rear der to chainstay cable stop.
Lou

Ralph
11-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Can you take two more links out of chain and it still shift big to big?

Lewis Moon
11-02-2012, 06:09 PM
It's a record 10sp. I REALLY made sure there were no kinks in the housing. As for the hoods interfering....Hmmmmm

ultraman6970
11-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Lheurta I believe he is talking about the spring in the parallelogram not the one in the jockey wheels.

If its a record then I could blame the shifters needing new parts or friction somewhere, that RD shift no matter what.

Ralph
11-02-2012, 06:22 PM
It's a record 10sp. I REALLY made sure there were no kinks in the housing. As for the hoods interfering....Hmmmmm

Make sure you are using Campy wires, and not Shimano. The ends are bigger on Shimano, and tend to drag. Sorry to be redundant, am sure youn know this.

ultraman6970
11-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Good detail... well if the OP did not dremel the cables maybe thats the problem.

lhuerta
11-02-2012, 07:17 PM
OP...your info is still to cryptic. How old /worn is your rear der? How about your shifters...have you ever changed the d-springs? Did you make sure you were using Campy specific cable? Have you had your rear hanger aligned? ...among other issues that others have listed above that you need to provide info for?
Lou

tannhauser
11-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Campy cables only.

Lewis Moon
11-02-2012, 09:28 PM
OP...your info is still to cryptic. How old /worn is your rear der? How about your shifters...have you ever changed the d-springs? Did you make sure you were using Campy specific cable? Have you had your rear hanger aligned? ...among other issues that others have listed above that you need to provide info for?
Lou

The hanger was just aligned and I'm using Campy specific Jagwire cables. The rear der is a bit long in the tooth but seems tight. I rebuilt the chorus shifters when I got them but I didn't replace the spring. That, and the floppy Hudz interfering, may be it.

oldpotatoe
11-03-2012, 06:45 AM
Is there a way to adjust the return spring tension on a Campy 10sp rear derailleur? I've really tried to take all the drag out of the system: new teflon cables, new jagwire housing, clean bends.. I've oiled the pivots but it still seems a bit glitchy shifting to smaller cogs.

May be a tired RD spring, not way to really 'fix' it. You can try to put a thin CR spacer under the fixing bolt, between the fixing bolt to the frame and the frame. Moves the RD out a bit, makes the spring seem 'tighter'. Doubt it's the lever, since going to higher gears(smaller cogs), you are just releasing the cable tension. Check the BB guide as well.