PDA

View Full Version : Favorite "new" saddle

trukweaz
11-02-2012, 12:09 PM
quick background. riding/racing since 1988. early 40's age.

starting to have some "pain" and discomfort down "there".

have used many types of saddles. last was a Prologo Scratch Pro. Building a new bike and wondering if people have a rec for something with the relief cutout that is NOT to extreme (no SMP).

thanks!

Ken Robb
11-02-2012, 12:13 PM
search the archive here for lots of saddle discussions.

rodcad
11-02-2012, 12:33 PM

have used many types of saddles. last was a Prologo Scratch Pro. Building a new bike and wondering if people have a rec for something with the relief cutout that is NOT to extreme (no SMP).

thanks!

Besides doing the search, I'd recommend finding a local shop that loans out demo sadlles. Nothing like trying them out b4 you buy.

azrider
11-02-2012, 12:34 PM
aint that easy cause err body's different.

BUT...........Specialized Toupe worked for me to help with the bits downstairs and the lady friend likes performance post ride

vav
11-02-2012, 12:37 PM
replaced my Fizik's with Romin Expert 155 and I couldn't be happire.

But... you could be miserable ;)

jr59
11-02-2012, 12:49 PM

thanks!

Please, get the saddle that allows you to ride your bike pain free. NO MATTER WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE! Your comfort is much more important than your vanity!

JonB
11-02-2012, 12:52 PM
I went from a Fizik Aliante to a Specialized Romin Pro 143mm and find it to be extremely comfortable.

canham
11-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Definitely try Selle SMP. I tried all sorts of different saddles (including cutouts) and never quite got the paid to go away. Then I tried the SMP statos (some padding) with great results and eventually switched to the composit (narrower shell, no padding) for a racier position. The difference between SMP and other saddles was night and day. It takes a while to dial in, but once you get things set right the SMP saddles are PERFECTION.

Steve in SLO
11-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Toupe and Phenom here. Good cutout and comfort for me at least.

PaMtbRider
11-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Romin. End of discussion. Really.

rice rocket
11-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Romins are great if you like wavy saddles. Toupe if you like flat.

Romin EVOs are now out too, but they're not as good looking as the originals. :) I have three Romins, I should stockpile some more.

joep2517
11-02-2012, 01:26 PM
aint that easy cause err body's different.

But...........specialized toupe worked for me to help with the bits downstairs and the lady friend likes performance post ride

+1

tuscanyswe
11-02-2012, 01:27 PM
SMP evolution, its actually more comfy than it is ugly, which says alot!

azrider
11-02-2012, 01:56 PM
SMP evolution, its actually more comfy than it is ugly, which says alot!

alot is not a word and SMP aint a saddle ;)

cmg
11-02-2012, 03:14 PM
i'm on Spec. toupe but i was wondering has anyone tried the Selle Italia SLR the one with the big cut out? any comments?

bigreen505
11-02-2012, 03:32 PM
I think some internet searching helps, but LBS searching may be better. I went from a Turbomatic to a Specialized Romin 155. The jury is still out for me. I would prefer some more padding and may try the Specialized Henge. I also tried a Specialized Avatar and thought it was awful, but my riding buddy says the Avatar is his favorite saddle.

Before you go shopping I think you need a real understanding of what the different types of saddle shapes are and what you like. Finding a saddle that was curved front to back, a little curve side to side, reasonably wide but not overly padded was a pretty narrow field for me to choose from.

Uncle Jam's Army
11-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but, after four years, I am looking to move on from the Fizik Arione. I did a Specialized BG fitting two years ago and my sit bones measured out as narrow (about 120mm), which would indicate a narrow saddle like the Fizik Arione is a fit for me. However, after several years of feeling the Arione is too narrow (though not uncomfortable), I am looking at some alternatives. I would not call myself flexible by any means, but i am comfortable with 9 cm saddle/bar drop. Would be intereted in hearing from people who moved on from the Arione. Thinking about the Aliante.

ssmondia
11-02-2012, 04:23 PM
I have phenom and romin on my bikes. You know a saddle is agreeing with you when you don't think about it.

rodcad
11-02-2012, 06:52 PM
155 Romin and Phenom for me. Also good old Brooks B-17 Special and Terry TI Fly's.

fa63
11-02-2012, 07:23 PM
I am big fan of Specialized Romin.

ofcounsel
11-02-2012, 07:39 PM
I have a Specialized Henge that I'm really happy with.

dekindy
11-02-2012, 08:06 PM
I test rode a Romin during the Winter and liked it well enough that I was going to purchase it during the Spring and ride it but have the option of returning it if I did not like it. In the meantime found a Prologo Scratch Pro on closeout for 75% off. It was high on my list as it was most often recommended as a good alternative for Aliante riders. Love it and the 134 was the most comfortable for me.

Grumbs
11-02-2012, 08:26 PM
The Romin is the only saddle I can really use comfortably for long rides now. I tried a Romin Evo recently, and the pain was intense. I think the padding on the Romin is just right for me, and the softer padding on the Evo is just too much. If you're thinking of trying Romins, keep in mind that, at least for some people, the two versions can feel quite different and you don't need to give up on the Romin shape if you don't like the Evo.

dekindy
11-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but, after four years, I am looking to move on from the Fizik Arione. I did a Specialized BG fitting two years ago and my sit bones measured out as narrow (about 120mm), which would indicate a narrow saddle like the Fizik Arione is a fit for me. However, after several years of feeling the Arione is too narrow (though not uncomfortable), I am looking at some alternatives. I would not call myself flexible by any means, but i am comfortable with 9 cm saddle/bar drop. Would be intereted in hearing from people who moved on from the Arione. Thinking about the Aliante.

I rode an Aliante for thousands of comfortable miles and tried the Arione and it was miserable; gave me saddle sores which no other saddle had given me. As a result I recommend folks trying these two saddles as they are a direct contrast and demo saddles are available at many LBS's.

gasman
11-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Everyone is different.
I've tried
Brooks Pro
Terry Fly
SMP Evolution and Stratos
Fizik Arione
Couple older specialized saddles, don't remember the models.
Now I ride a 143 Toupe on 2 road bikes and one cross/commuter bike. I've been happy for what, 6+ years.

zap
11-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Have Aliante' on our tandems.....not working anymore. Took my mtb out (been some time) for a ride last Sunday that has an original Spec Toupe and it was damn good...relief from the Aliante. Plan on getting a new Toupe and trying it out on one of the Tandems.

Single road...still liking the Ax Lightness. It's not a saddle for toodling around on and it's best when I have ridden lots.

Oh, can't stand puffy diapers...chamois. It all has to work together.

I Want Sachs?
11-03-2012, 12:02 AM
Fizik Versus saddles are Arionne, Aliante but with central groove.

Also look at Fizik Vesta which is slightly more cushioned but has central groove.

BdaGhisallo
11-03-2012, 03:02 AM

If the Arione is okay for you apart from feeling a little too narrow, try the Fizik Antares. It's fairly flat like the Arione, but is wider in the rear.

Otherwise, the Romin is an awesome saddle. In my 27 yrs of riding, the 143mm Romin Pro is the most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden.

merlincustom1
11-03-2012, 04:36 AM
1. Make sure your fit is correct.

2. This is so individual, a saddle demo program is best, swap with friends, etc.

wgp
11-03-2012, 05:43 AM
Might as well add to the Romin chorus - I switched from Arione a few years back and it's been perfection for me - have one on all my bikes!

Like Rice Rocket said, I feel like I ought to stock up now before they change the design or discontinue it from the line.

fa63
11-03-2012, 06:30 AM
If you're thinking of trying Romins, keep in mind that, at least for some people, the two versions can feel quite different and you don't need to give up on the Romin shape if you don't like the Evo.

This has been my experience as well; I love the Romin but couldn't get along with the Romin Evo.

oldpotatoe
11-03-2012, 06:51 AM

thanks!

Have you tried a SMP? Lots of test ride saddle places out there. They were the first to have test ride saddles. You are sitting on it afterall. Nobody will see it.

oldpotatoe
11-03-2012, 06:53 AM
Romin. End of discussion. Really.

I guess not really. Saddles are as different as people's bums..what works for you doesn't mean it will work for me.

I have been using a SSM Rolls for many years, they work perfect, for me.

zap
11-03-2012, 07:09 AM
Have you tried a SMP? Lots of test ride saddle places out there. They were the first to have test ride saddles. You are sitting on it afterall. Nobody will see it.

Coffee shop rides.

Ladies will believe you can't (hmmm) and gentlemen will say that you really should stop riding bicycles.

oldpotatoe
11-03-2012, 07:11 AM
Coffee shop rides.

Ladies will believe you can't (hmmm) and gentlemen will say that you really should stop riding bicycles.

Well, I guess but if made my junk happy, I wouldn't really care.

dekindy
11-03-2012, 07:15 AM

Do you mean Selle SMP or Selle Italia? Selle SMP's are hard to find and I am not aware of any test saddles anywhere. OTOH some LBS's do have Selle Italia and test saddles. I know you are very knowledgeable so if you can direct me to Selle SMP test saddles I would be grateful as I am interested in these saddles and have not found anyway to get around trying them without incurring the high price that I would gladly pay if it was worth it.

I Want Sachs?
11-03-2012, 08:10 AM
Coffee shop rides.

Don't care what gents think, but perfect chance to ask for opportunity to prove with the ladies.:p

oldpotatoe
11-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Do you mean Selle SMP or Selle Italia? Selle SMP's are hard to find and I am not aware of any test saddles anywhere. OTOH some LBS's do have Selle Italia and test saddles. I know you are very knowledgeable so if you can direct me to Selle SMP test saddles I would be grateful as I am interested in these saddles and have not found anyway to get around trying them without incurring the high price that I would gladly pay if it was worth it.

Selle SMP..'selle' means 'saddle' in Italiano

3 SMP dealers in IN..not sure if any are close to you tho.

http://www.albabici.com/info/albabici-smp-dealers-1.htm#Indiana

If no soap with local dealers, this time of year, I could probably send ya one to test..if ya end up buying from me, if you decide they would work.

I have Pro, Glider, Stratos and Evolution test saddles.

There is a fit guide on the website also to help you narrow it down.

biker72
11-03-2012, 08:49 AM
Specialized Romin Evo on one bike and Avatar on the other. Both 155.