PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the running of the NYC Marathon post-Sandy

Nooch
11-02-2012, 10:36 AM
What's everyone think about the fact that the NYC Marathon will still be run this weekend?

I'm in the area, and while I fared very well in the storm with the exception of only filling up one of our cars and not both, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the fact that all this money is going into the event -- the generators and tents and such in central park, the PD man-hours, etc...

Is it irresponsible of the NYRR club to continue the event? Is it necessary as a big eff-you to sandy and saying that NYC never stops moving forward?

Just not sure how I feel about the whole thing.

Rueda Tropical
11-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Tough call.

The mayor probably desperately wants to kick start economic activity and get things back to "normal" ASAP. NYC is loosing countless millions a day and that is also impacting New Yorkers in a very real way. I've got friends who can't work because their jobs are in the black out zone downtown. They are not under water or homeless but with no money coming in they are in distress.

On the other hand there are people in Staten Island who are saying we have not yet gotten the help we need so why are first responders being diverted to the Marathon. Maybe the Feds and State could pick up the slack and get National Guard and FEMA down there so both things could happen.

67-59
11-02-2012, 10:44 AM
I can see the whole "we're moving forward" thing...but it seems that so much still needs to be done to get the city back even to some semblance of normalcy. I'd focus on the latter....

jvp
11-02-2012, 10:53 AM
just heard on the radio - "let them eat marathons"

dekindy
11-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Just another example of our way out of whack priorities and lack of touch with reality IMHO.

wallymann
11-02-2012, 11:01 AM
until all the boroughs are at least getting a little bit of attention...NYC is more than just the self-important manhattanites (my brother is one of them, so i can say that).

jr59
11-02-2012, 11:05 AM
I would postpone it at least for a few weeks.

I understand both sides, but my feeling falls to the people who are inn need!

vav
11-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Manhattan borough president is against running it though. And I agree, push it back 3-4 weeks.

until all the boroughs are at least getting a little bit of attention...NYC is more than just the self-important manhattanites (my brother is one of them, so i can say that).

Chance
11-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Can see both sides although arguments being used by both camps are not always right. As an example, some in media suggest the marathon can be easily rescheduled to a later date. However, for the many foreign runners and their families that travel to the US for the marathon it is not always easy or possible to reschedule. There are work conflicts, vacation time, air travel cancellation fees, and so on.

Also, anyone who has run a marathon knows that it's not always easy to back off training and then peak again a month or so later. And then there is the issue of winter weather conditions if delayed substantially.

All the talk about generators seem a red herring too. These things are rented by organizers and it's not like they are taking the last ones available. Plenty of generators exist. The problem is they can't be connected to any portion of the grid unless the system is actually ready for power. And at that point they can most likely be powered off the grid anyway. That seems to be the way power is restored to my area after hurricanes.

Although both sides can and have made passionate and intelligent arguments, my thought is that they made the right decision. Hold the race. It doesn't mean others are not being helped as much as possible/practical.

67-59
11-02-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm not sure many (and certainly not I) have suggested that it'd be "easy" to move it. It'd be a logistical nightmare. But you know what - it'll be a logistical nightmare to run it this weekend too.

As for the out of town runners - I heard that thousands have already deferred their entry until next year. Not sure how many people will want to fly into a devastated city. I'd sure defer.

As for timing your training - as a former marathoner, I think that's a red herring too. I used to run marathons and followed all the recommended schedules and training plans...and sometimes had a good day, and sometimes had a bad day. Once, I felt my best on a long run exactly two weeks after the actual race (when I thought I'd peak). Think how that'd work out for some if they move it back two weeks! After running about a dozen marathons, my conclusion is that you have good days and you have bad days. And all the planning/timing in the world can't change that.

Not saying there is a clear right answer, but having run marathons many times before, I still would delay if it was my decision.

SpokeValley
11-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Might be tough to find a hotel...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/hotelcheckin/2012/11/02/new-york-city-marathon-runners--staten-island-hilton-hotel-owner/1676087/

Climb01742
11-02-2012, 11:53 AM
priorities are rarely simple or black and white, but if i were living on staten island or in lower manhattan, or on breezy point...any energy spent on the marathon would feel like a misplaced priority. postpone the race.

AngryScientist
11-02-2012, 11:55 AM
its a terrible idea IMO.

i am a marathon runner, so i understand what training and preparation go into it, but moving it out a few weeks is the right call.

the marathon infuses a lot of $$ into the NYC economy, that money will mainly be lost by the businesses who need it most, as a lot of them will be closed for marathon weekend. hotels are needed more for the displaced new yorkers who need a warm place to sleep with their families. there is no way NYC area airports are operating at the normal capacity in time to get all the competitors here. the police presence, etc. lots of reasons to move it out a few weeks.

Chance
11-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Realize that there are both advantages and disadvantages on both sides of the issue and that that isn’t going to change no matter which way the decision was made. Everyone wasn’t going to be pleased. That’s a given. But once the decision is made by city and event leaders, why can’t we get behind the program? Divisiveness seems to be the way most things go nowadays.

The 2001 NY Marathon was run. Guessing many thought that wasn’t appropriate either. Different circumstances but similar in some ways.

Maybe bickering endlessly over every single decision our leaders make is the new normal. Just hope that’s not confused with trying to hold them accountable for their decisions.

hairylegs
11-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Thought I'd chime in. I was supposed to go to NYC for a combo of biz and marathon running. Had the option of still going Thursday, but had the tough call to make since most of my meetings were cancelled.

After much thought I just couldn't imagine running a rec event while a lot of the areas are still recovering. It's too soon.

NYRR is really screwed either way - the end decision was Bloomberg's.

Totally bummed, but it's really really petty compared to what some people are going through over there.

Ray
11-02-2012, 01:14 PM
When people in Staten Island who've just lost everything and are living in hotels temporarily because they have nowhere else to go are getting told they have to leave because out of town marathon runners had the room booked in advance, the marathon has to be postponed. As much suffering as there still is in Manhattan and outer boroughs, the corporate sponsors who've put so much into the marathon should pull it out and re-allocate it to relief agencies and then sponsor the marathon again in a month or whenever, or just can it for one year. I was in the city during the marathon last year and its a wonderful event, but I don't think it should take precedence over getting aid to the MANY people still desperately in need. And its not something like the Yankees being in the 2001 World Series right after 9/11, which gave the city something to rally around. Its a great event but not in the same league as 2001. It sounds like the City, State, and Feds have all done an admirable to great job of stepping up. And if the marathon came at NO cost to any of the relief efforts, that might be one thing. But I don't think its possible to put so many resources into an event like that without somehow pulling them from much more important activities at the moment.

-Ray

bikinchris
11-02-2012, 02:38 PM
I don't think they are taking anyone off relief efforts to work the race. Cancelling the race will not put anyone in a home.

When Katrina hit New Orleans, it was several months before Mardi Gras. But the media spent time finding people who wanted to cancel Mardi Gras. They wanted to cancel it because some people were still out of their homes and all the same reasons people quote for not holding this race.

What the marathon will do for New York is exactly what Mardi Gras did for New Orleans. Reopen places who sell food and fill hotel rooms. New York needs money and work and the people need to feel normal if possible.

93legendti
11-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Looking at the photos on TV, I think it is surreal to think putting on a marathon THIS weekend is in the top 100 of priorities. I heard a caller to a news station say people are pitching tents in the streets of Staten Island trying to stay warm. Homes are being looted. People are waiting in line 6 hours for what little gas there is. I have friends from the area who left yesterday to stay with their families in Michigan-and they only suffered the loss of power.
The thought of the marathon going on as scheduled seems like musicians playing on the deck of the titanic as it sank.

AngryScientist
11-02-2012, 03:08 PM
What the marathon will do for New York is exactly what Mardi Gras did for New Orleans. Reopen places who sell food and fill hotel rooms. New York needs money and work and the people need to feel normal if possible.

Chris, unfortunately i dont think this is the case at all. the restaurants who need that money right now have catastrophic storm damage and no power, and all the hotels are already filled. if the marathon were in a few months, different strory, it's THIS SUNDAY. there's no way the hurting parts of the city will be ready to take financial advantage of the marathon crowd.

Ray
11-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Just heard they cancelled it - good move. Should have done it a couple of days ago to give people time to change plans, but better late than never.

-Ray

cat6
11-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Middle-aged and middle-class Timothy Love (played by Eddington) is a confirmed bachelor who is nonetheless happy with his marital status and his life; since he has a good job, plenty of money, the availability of girlfriends whenever he wants them, and cherished freedom. Until a mother-of-three, Judy (played by Newman) enters his life. Timothy will find Judy different to all the other women he has courted in the past; in contrast with all the others, Judy is the type of woman with which he feels he can 'settle down'. They become engaged, and Timothy's realising of the effort he has to do to change his life and do away with his old individualism will prove the main theme of the show.

wallymann
11-02-2012, 03:19 PM
i just saw this:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2012/11/marathon-cancelled-fox-news-thinks-so/58658/

Reports: The New York Marathon Has Been Cancelled

Where did you hear that? Nothing in the official site....

Ray
11-02-2012, 03:26 PM
NBC and ABC have both reported it, but mayor's office denying the reports, so maybe not? Hopefully it's cleared up soon.

Edit - and now the mayor's office confirms it.

-Ray

vav
11-02-2012, 03:29 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/03/sports/new-york-city-marathon-will-not-be-held-sunday.html?hp

Chance
11-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Yeah, he folded under pressure. Didn’t blame a poor decision in the first place, but rather on wanting to avoid the distraction. Either way a sign of weak leadership to me.

victoryfactory
11-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Yeah, he folded under pressure. Didn’t blame a poor decision in the first place, but rather on wanting to avoid the distraction. Either way a sign of weak leadership to me.

Bloomberg is who he is. He's always been an advocate for business and commerce. He made a clueless decision to hold the race in the face of
the disaster, possibly because the depth of the damage in NY had yet to
dawn on him. After all he has electricity at his place.
I contend that it actually took some degree of courage to change his mind
and to do the right thing at the last moment even though there will 50,000
people and some mighty big business people upset.
You can criticize him because he's rich or clueless in general but as
wrong as the original decision was, i admire his courage in reversing it.
He's old and in his final term, so don't tell me he did it for political reasons.
He has always been his own man and I respect that even if I don't always
agree with his politics
VF

AngryScientist
11-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Bloomberg is who he is. He's always been an advocate for business and commerce. He made a clueless decision to hold the race in the face of
the disaster, possibly because the depth of the damage in NY had yet to
dawn on him. After all he has electricity at his place.
I contend that it actually took some degree of courage to change his mind
and to do the right thing at the last moment even though there will 50,000
people and some mighty big business people upset.
You can criticize him because he's rich or clueless in general but as
wrong as the original decision was, i admire his courage in reversing it.
He's old and in his final term, so don't tell me he did it for political reasons.
He has always been his own man and I respect that even if I don't always
agree with his politics
VF

i endorse this message.

Chance
11-02-2012, 04:03 PM

Won't. The TV report did mention possible concern over his legacy. Didn’t want to appear insensitive. It’s hard to tell what these guys hold dear.

victoryfactory
11-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Won't. The TV report did mention possible concern over his legacy. Didn’t want to appear insensitive. It’s hard to tell what these guys hold dear.

I guess we won't know unless we walk a mile in his $1000.00 shoes

paulh
11-02-2012, 04:19 PM
I agree with the decision to cancel.

Just wondering. Say it was game 7 of the World Series and the Yankees were in it at Yankee Stadium. Would they cancel that? I would like to think so, but....

54ny77
11-02-2012, 05:03 PM
holding marathon now?

that's nucking futz.

i can barely get into town for biz meeting.

now hundreds of thousands of people coming into town to spectate and bring tourism dollars?

business and services reeling just to rebuild/recover or even open, let alone profit from influx of tourist $.

glad to see they canceled it and focused on repairing the lifeblood of the city.

bloomberg ego and the head of nyrr need a time out.

Bruce K
11-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Cancelled ! As of the 6:00 news report

BK

wc1934
11-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Canceling was a good idea but bikinchris comments (page 2) raised some good points.
Not exactly apples to apples, but they cancelled the Brooklyn Nets game, but the Giants game is still on.

beercan
11-02-2012, 07:13 PM
at first i was saying they should still hold the marathon but after seeing days of certain parts of the city not get any help and utilities struggling to get things running again, I am glad they have canceled the marathon. holding a baseball game or a giant game takes no where as much man power as organizing the race, plus the cleanup for the race would be nuts, i think its a big slap in the face to those residents who need the help, I am all for trying to get back to normal, but this isnt the way it should be done. I feel bad for the runners who came in from out of the country and out of town as people train all year for this event, but it just isnt the time to do so right now and hope those understand.

Fixed
11-02-2012, 08:00 PM
I would bet a lot of runners turn volunteers to help clean up .
New York is America's crown jewel of all things civilized man can be .
Imho
God bless New York :)

CunegoFan
11-02-2012, 08:07 PM
To be cynical about it, the city got just what it wanted. Everyone flies in to do the race, spends their money on hotels and meals, and the race is cancelled. Win for everyone except the poor saps who should have been told Tuesday the race was off.

thegunner
11-02-2012, 08:17 PM
To be cynical about it, the city got just what it wanted. Everyone flies in to do the race, spends their money on hotels and meals, and the race is cancelled. Win for everyone except the poor saps who should have been told Tuesday the race was off.

or you know... the people without power still :p

jpw
11-03-2012, 04:59 AM
to be cynical about it, the city got just what it wanted. Everyone flies in to do the race, spends their money on hotels and meals, and the race is cancelled. Win for everyone except the poor saps who should have been told tuesday the race was off.

+1

verticaldoug
11-03-2012, 07:57 AM
I think they underestimated the number of no-shows and deferrals. I think many out of town participants make it a family affair. The significant other has fun in NYC while the runner gets ready for the marathon. Many S.O. probably have little interest in coming to the city under these conditions. Instead of running the marathon and having 15-20K show up instead of 45k and being called a flop, they saved face and cancelled.

Even though Mayor Bloomberg said no resources will be diverted, one of the most precious resource for people are hotel rooms. I just don't think they had the room.

wc1934
11-03-2012, 01:43 PM
nicely balanced with just the facts

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/04/sports/marathons-cancellation-sure-to-carry-huge-costs.html?hpw