PDA

View Full Version : Carbon & solvents

Samster
10-15-2005, 02:43 PM
I just used automotive clear coat to "repair" the scraped clear coat of my carbon bars where the stem clamps down. I've also used clear nail polish in the past. Suddenly I'm not so sure this is a good idea.

So... do things like acetone or whatever solvent they use in touch-up paint/clear coat have a negative impact on carbon fiber integrity?

Thanks in advance...
--sam :confused:

nicrump
10-15-2005, 02:52 PM
I just used automotive clear coat to "repair" the scraped clear coat of my carbon bars where the stem clamps down. I've also used clear nail polish in the past. Suddenly I'm not so sure this is a good idea.

So... do things like acetone or whatever solvent they use in touch-up paint/clear coat have a negative impact on carbon fiber integrity?

Thanks in advance...
--sam :confused:

Against epoxy resin which is fully cured? Not a problem. Contrary to popular opinion, fully cured carbon epoxy composites are not vulnerable to acetone.

The problem arises when a composite part is finished with some “un-known” clear system. Many of those are damaged by something as strong as acetone. I use a 2 pt polyurethane clear that is not vulnerable to solvents.

Samster
10-17-2005, 12:28 PM
The problem arises when a composite part is finished with some “un-known” clear system. Many of those are damaged by something as strong as acetone. I use a 2 pt polyurethane clear that is not vulnerable to solvents.

But what is a "clear system." And are you talking about a factory "clear coat" that they apply to the part before it leaves the shop? Or are you talking about the stuff you can get at your local Auto-Zone?

I guess you're basically saying there's little to worry about... (?)

Thanks again,
--sam

nicrump
10-17-2005, 12:50 PM
When I say "clear system" I am talking about the factory clear coat. Most parts from Asia are cleared with stuff that is not enough to withstand solvents like acetone.

I wouldn’t worry about clear coat from Auto Zone harming your composite structure.