PDA

View Full Version : Speed Play pedals

nigel
11-01-2012, 10:35 PM
I am thinking of changing from Look pedals to speedplay. Has anyone done the same or do any of you have some advice to share. Thanks.

slidey
11-01-2012, 11:05 PM
I haven't switched per se, but I use Speedplay 0's...nothing much to say except that they're great. Btw, you should use the search functionality available and look up for threads discussing pedals. There was one just a week or so back, and in it was a link to a thread going way back as well.

I am thinking of changing from Look pedals to speedplay. Has anyone done the same or do any of you have some advice to share. Thanks.

AgilisMerlin
11-02-2012, 04:16 AM
i am a huge fan of speedplay.

wife uses x and i have zero's on all my road bicycles.

from my experience, speedplay

stack height is minimal, float can be compared to rotating my foot while standing on ice - assuming the cleats are clean.

when cleats bed in a slight rock, as in rocking your foot but minimal.

easy engagement, and double sided. Since the bottom plate is medal, i usually can get a set of cleats to last a little under a year, rotating between a pair of normal sidi's and a set of wides.'

east to lube. when i am in, i am in

so excited by this product i cannot write in full sentences. :D

like looks, but they have the tendency to cause gravel feeling in my knees, periodically. a popping or grinding of a tendon during rotation

Elefantino
11-02-2012, 04:30 AM
Necessitated by knee surgeries, I switched from Looks to Speedplay X2s about 12 years ago and haven't looked back. The wife uses X2s, too, which she found easier than the Light Action.

I recommended them highly.

Oh ... on one of my bikes I'm still using the same pair I started with.

LJohnny
11-02-2012, 05:40 AM
The most readily apparent change would be the ease of "finding" the pedal due to the dual side clip-surface. Give'em a try.

fjaws
11-02-2012, 05:49 AM
My advice would be to give them at least 2 weeks. They'll likely feel a bit strange compared to your current pedals and your feet may feel like they're all over the place at first. Give them at least 2 weeks before you can the idea and I think you'll like them.

oldpotatoe
11-02-2012, 06:32 AM

I switched from Campagnolo ProFit ro SP zero...put the cleat in the same relative postion, dialed the float to about the same and they....felt pretty much the same. They were on a fixed gear bike, so easier to get into but once clipped in..about the same.

I like the serviceability of SP plus the less noise plus the ability to buy small bits for them, including one pedal if ya kill one.

The above post does apply to the X series...'walking on ice', feeling..not so with Zeros.

ahsere
11-02-2012, 07:25 AM
I have nothing to compare them to since I started road riding on Light Actions, at the recommendation of a racer friend, and I have never found any compelling reason to look elsewhere. But after a few years of using them on all my bikes, I cannot think of any bad things to say about them.

cmg
11-02-2012, 07:28 AM
went from looks to speedplay x2 s and haven't looked back. knee pains disappeared. i love the unlimited float. engagement is easy.

djg21
11-02-2012, 07:36 AM

I've ridden on many sets of Speedplays over the years, and prefer the Zeros to Xs. The retention clips on the cleats for Xs are rounded wire, and tend to wear faster and develop flat spots. When worn, your feet rock can on the pedals (mine wore on the outsides, so I felt like I was pedaling on the outside edge of the pedals). By contrast, the Zero retention clips are flat, and less prone to wearing.

The Zeros also allow adjustment of the float and release angle, which is helpful. Set them up so your heel doesn't rotate inward enough to hit the chainstay, and so that your heel can rotate outward as much as you want. The less outward float you allow, the easier it becomes to get out of the pedals (when you want). I find I need only a few degrees of float and my feet stay pretty fixed once in the pedals.

Skip titanium axles. Titanium pedal axles are silly, and can fail catastrophically (hence the weight limits). The weight savings is marginal. and not worth the expense. Stainless spindles are fine!

As others have said, you may feel awkward when you first use the pedals -- like you are slipping on ice. Be patient! You'll get used to them. The pedals are great, and the dual sided entry makes Speedplays really easy to use.

SteveV0983
11-02-2012, 08:22 AM
I had been using Looks for 22 years and switched to Speedplay Zeros almost 3 years ago. I cannot believe I waited that long. I absolutely love these pedals! First of all, mounting them is a breeze because your for-aft, your left-right, and your rotation are 3 separate settings. You simply mount the base plates where you want them fore-aft, then you mount the cleat bodies where you want them left-right, and then the float takes care of the rotation. No more fiddling with oversized rectangular holes and washers trying to get the Look delta cleat "as close as possible" to where it should be. The double sided entry is great and I love the rotational float.
I use the coffee shop covers whenever I am off the bike (as I always did with the Looks), so wear and walkability is not an issue. I guess I could be considered going "overkill" with the maintenance, but before each ride I give them a shot of Blaster Dry Lube ($4 at Home Depot) and it takes all of about...10 seconds. The Speedplay SP lube is also very good and cheap ($6 a bottle). So the argument that you may see saying "you have to take care of them, blah, blah, blah" is a ridiculous argument. Never had them get gunked up, never unclipped by accident, and don’t even need to look down at an intersection to clip back in. I also never had a bolt loosen up and they are as solid and secure as the day I first put them on. And if you want zero float, you can run them that way also.
Try them. I will never go back.

nigel
11-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Thank you guys for the feedback. I will head to the store and look at the Zeros. Also, I have wedges under both of my look cleats. When i got my last bike fitting, I had a discrepancy in the length of my feet. My scoliosis is the major reason for it. Do you guys know if the Zero pedals have this capability. Also, what will be a good price to pay for a set of Zeros. Sorry for the added questions.

LJohnny
11-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Thank you guys for the feedback. I will head to the store and look at the Zeros. Also, I have wedges under both of my look cleats. When i got my last bike fitting, I had a discrepancy in the length of my feet. My scoliosis is the major reason for it. Do you guys know if the Zero pedals have this capability. Also, what will be a good price to pay for a set of Zeros. Sorry for the added questions.

I believe the major limitation in this case would be the length of the screw that would attach the added wedge to the sole. This screw would have to be long enough to accommodate the extra wedge as well as the adapter plate for the speedplay cleats. (unless you will use speedplay specific shoes).
I have seen it done, but the person who did this had to try a few screws until one did the job.

SteveV0983
11-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Your best bet for a good price would be if your local shop would give you a discount because many (not all) online retailers block out Speedplay from their generic X% off discounts. I know Nashbar blocks them for example. The Zeros with the cromo spindles are typically around $125.00 and the stainless spindles are around $199.00. Same pedal, same cleats, different spindle. You can typically get the stainless with colored pedals and the cromo are typically just black. If you don't mind all black, go with the cromo. There is only a 15g difference in weight for a $75.00 premium.
Speedplay makes leg length shim kits (http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.merchandise) and you can also get canted wedges if you need a varus or valgus wedge for either foot.

wallymann
11-02-2012, 09:36 AM
shim spacers are NO PROBLEM with speedplays.

they are widely used for both leg-length adjustment (flat spacers) and varus/valgus adjustment (wedge spacers).

overall i'm an early adopter of speedplays, having migrated from LOOK to speedplay back in 1992. i still have my original pedals with chromed steel axles and full metal body...bearings are original, too!

as others have stated, it's a strange feeling when you first go from locked to effortless float. give yourself a week or 2.

I believe the major limitation in this case would be the length of the screw that would attach the added wedge to the sole. This screw would have to be long enough to accommodate the extra wedge as well as the adapter plate for the speedplay cleats. (unless you will use speedplay specific shoes).
I have seen it done, but the person who did this had to try a few screws until one did the job.

firerescuefin
11-02-2012, 09:40 AM

As someone who has been fit with shims...except for extreme cases this is a non issue.

djg21
11-02-2012, 09:58 AM

I use a Lemond LeWedge shim to add valgus and reduce the discomfort caused by osteoarthritis in one of my knees. http://www.bikeparts.com/search_results.asp?id=BPC323885&gclid=CPWKlufSsLMCFUOK4Aod9z4AWA

Not an issue.

LJohnny
11-02-2012, 10:03 AM
As someone who has been fit with shims...except for extreme cases this is a non issue.

the case i refer, it was on the larger side of shims, thus the need for different screws than the stock ones. Even the larger stock ones would not accommodate the shim in his case.

cachagua
11-02-2012, 10:08 AM
I have nothing but good to say about Speedplays. I would repeat all the praise that's been heaped on them here, and also mention MUCH better cornering clearance.

One other thing: remember to lower your seat by the amount you subtract from your pedal+cleat stack height. This can be a considerable distance, a full centimeter or more. Be careful your new pedals don't drive you to a new frame size! (Okay, not likely.)

Depending on which shoes you have, you can reduce the stack height even more by leaving out the base plate and putting the cleat directly on the shoe. For the tinkerer, it's possible to do this with nearly any shoe by drilling the soles for the 4 mounting screws (be sure about your cleat position first) and putting #8 tee-nuts inside the shoe's footbeds. You'll need longer screws than the kit includes, and you'll need to use wedges to keep the cleat totally flat if the sole is curved, but I've done this to half a dozen pairs of shoes and had excellent results.

smead
11-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Look vs. speedplay has been beaten to death a lot and the debate is almost as goofy as the debate about which is the best saddle.

Float affects individual riders differently - more is not necessarily better.

Because I've had extensive saddle time with both, I'll offer my impressions. I ran Speedplay X's for about 3 years and was happy overall. I had some chronic knee pain though .. What I didn't like about the speedplays was the finiky cleats (a dab of dirt/mud and you're not clipping in until you clean them out with a pick), and the overall system is fragile. The cleats don't last much longer than my looks, and cost twice as much. I also broke a cleat during an endurance race which really sucked ...

A friend saw me doing crazy things with my pedal stroke with all that float and convinced me to try looks and I never looked back. Over the last 2-3 years I have had less knee issues with the same milage and riding. But what I really prefer is that when climibing, the looks just provide a more solid platform - power transfer just feels better, more planted.

Again everyone's milage may vary ..

firerescuefin
11-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Look vs. speedplay has been beaten to death a lot and the debate is almost as goofy as the debate about which is the best saddle.

Float affects individual riders differently - more is not necessarily better.

Because I've had extensive saddle time with both, I'll offer my impressions. I ran Speedplay X's for about 3 years and was happy overall. I had some chronic knee pain though .. What I didn't like about the speedplays was the finiky cleats (a dab of dirt/mud and you're not clipping in until you clean them out with a pick), and the overall system is fragile. The cleats don't last much longer than my looks, and cost twice as much. I also broke a cleat during an endurance race which really sucked ...

A friend saw me doing crazy things with my pedal stroke with all that float and convinced me to try looks and I never looked back. Over the last 2-3 years I have had less knee issues with the same milage and riding. But what I really prefer is that when climibing, the looks just provide a more solid platform - power transfer just feels better, more planted.

Again everyone's milage may vary ..

Used Looks...am on speedplays. Zeros have variable float, so your thoughts do not carry across the entire product line. Cleats are not as fragile finicky as you say...though they do suck in mud/snow/ice. They're not a panacea, but theyre great pedals. Higher end Crank Bros are hard to beat even on the road...and they clear (mud/ice) better than anything out there.

nopotholes
11-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Been using speedplays for a couple of years now and have nothing but good things to say. A helpful hint to improve the life of your cleats you might want to look into these bad boys http://www.keeponkovers.com/Product.html

nigel
11-02-2012, 11:45 AM
All good information.

oldpotatoe
11-02-2012, 03:27 PM

Lemond Fitness makes Sp specific shims and SP has a variety of longer screws for the base plate. A non issue.

AngryScientist
11-02-2012, 03:33 PM
i used zeros for a long time and really liked them, but the cleats were what ultimately drove me away. on shimano spd-sl now and couldnt be happier.

i dont have any specific fit issues though, so i cant comment on that part.

LJohnny
11-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Lemond Fitness makes Sp specific shims and SP has a variety of longer screws for the base plate. A non issue.

That's good to know. I don't know why this guy's LBS made such a big deal out of it then...

sworcester
11-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Speed play was a sponsor of our masters team in the early 90's so I have ridden them since them. My only issue with them is if you have to walk in them a distance, or if you get them bunked up, they creak. Replace the cleat ($30?) and the creak goes away. The creak seems to emanate from the plastic base that wears. Other than that, I love them. Easy in and out, double sided, little dry lube and good to go. I only get about 500-1000 miles out of the cleats, but maybe that's normal?

rounder
11-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Speedplay x2s. I have been riding rhem for at least 15 years. They are basic. They are light. They work for me.

cmbicycles
11-02-2012, 09:19 PM
I have been on x2's for 15+ years, run frogs on my mtn bike. Switched from looks and have had zero knee issues since switching. I have not had any issues with clipping in or out or any of the creaking wear issues. Have thought about trying out the zeros but I am too much a creature of habit to justify paying for new pedals.
I know someone mentioned the only difference between 2's & 3's is the spindle, but from what I remember the ss spindle version also adds a needle bearing in the center of the pedal body where the cromoly version has a bushing. I love that the pedals are rebuildable, to boot.

Birddog
11-03-2012, 05:06 AM
500-1000 miles out of the cleats, but maybe that's normal?

What? I've been using Speedplay X series for 18 years. the worst I ever got was about 3,500 miles out of a set of cleats. I use cleat covers more regularly now and get between 5,000 to 10,000 miles.

SolidSnake03
11-03-2012, 07:36 AM
Ok well to present a bit of a differing opinion then:

I have been on Speedplay Zero and Shimano SPD-SL for about a season each and honestly prefer the Shimano without a doubt. The Shimano have cleats you can actually walk in, the pedals are absolutely bomb proof, there is no lateral rocking until your cleats are worn down to nothing, the engagement is super solid and they are amazingly wide in feeling.

I rode Speedplay's for a year and was just never really happy with them, I found the cleats annoying due to mud/little rocks jamming, disliked having to grease/lube them and found lateral rocking between the pedal and the cleat EVEN with new cleats. In addition, Speedplay refused to warranty in the case of the rocking because they claimed it was from wear or improper installation...seriously? :mad: I explained they were brand new but to no avail.

Shimano has had absolutely none of these issues and just performed it's job, completely unnoticed largely for the past season. I find that the Shimano pedals function just about like all Shimano stuff in that they work and you don't need to think about them, they just "shut up and do the job". Peace of mind through lack of thought.

Anyhow, that's my take after riding each an equal amount of the time.

sworcester
11-03-2012, 03:48 PM
They really don't like muck in them. I have heard from several reps and shops that they aren't easy to deal with. Like just getting replacement cleat screws.

slidey
11-03-2012, 04:06 PM
I've been only on Speedplay Zero's as I've already stated, and my previous pair of cleats lasted for nearly 10,000 miles, i.e. a little more than a year since I wasn't getting as much riding done back then. How you might ask? Cleat covers bro! It's not rocket science, just a piece of cheap plastic which clearly makes your cleats last longer.

mgm777
11-03-2012, 10:56 PM
I've been riding Speedplay, first Xs then Zeros for over 10 years. During that time, I have had my cleats foul up on maybe two occasions due to mud/dirt...my own fault. I don't regularly walk around in my road shoes, so the whole "it is easier to walk around with Shimano cleats" doesn't do anything for me. Speedplay...they just work.

SolidSnake03
11-04-2012, 06:43 AM
I hate carrying extra little bits with me *cleat covers* and seeing as how I live in an apartment complex I do actually have to do a bit of walking with my bike just to get outside. This makes the Shimano cleats "walkability" quite handy in that it's one less thing to think or worry about.

I understand the dirt/cleats is a completely personal situation dependent type thing. If you live in a house and can just roll out your front door I could see it never being a thought but for others it's a concern.

The lateral rocking and extremely poor/unresponsive customer service however were not something I could attribute to just where I live/how I ride

AgilisMerlin
11-04-2012, 06:47 AM
my knees jive with the lateral rock. go figure. finicky they are

i will ask that they put a pair of white zero's in my casket

oldpotatoe
11-04-2012, 07:49 AM
They really don't like muck in them. I have heard from several reps and shops that they aren't easy to deal with. Like just getting replacement cleat screws.

The cleats do not like dirt, mud. As for ease of dealing with them, you mean the company?
As a shop, they are very easy to 'deal' with. I have a fit kit for longer screws, all the small parts, for all the pedals. Far easier to 'deal with' than LOOK as a comparison.

572cv
11-04-2012, 08:19 AM
My wife rides speedplay, my daughter does too, but I like to be able to walk around, and use my sidi dominator mountain shoes pretty much year round. Hence a need for cleats that will fit, and for the present, the best have been atac's. I've heard middling things about frogs, which apparently would fit. I'd be interested in any further thoughts about them.

gone
11-04-2012, 08:49 AM
I hate carrying extra little bits with me *cleat covers*

Check out "Keep on covers", they fix this nicely. I have them on two pairs of shoes and they work great. As the name implies, you leave them on permanently. They don't interfere with clipping in and make the cleats more walkable. They're not in the same class as spd cleats/mtb shoes for walkability but not bad for a road cleat.

Bradford
11-04-2012, 10:44 AM
I've heard middling things about frogs, which apparently would fit. I'd be interested in any further thoughts about them.

I love Frogs. I put a pair on my touring bike in 1996 and have been a huge fan ever since. For the last decade, I've run Frogs on my touring bike and tandem and X2s on my road bike, but just made the switch to Frogs on the road bike when I bought my new shoes this summer. Now I only need one pair of shoes...all Frogs all the time.

Frogs give you all the free float benefits of the Lollipops, but they are easy to walk around in. Most of the complaints you hear about Frogs is from mountain bikers who find them harder to get out off. Since you need to rotate them out farther than you would with a pedal with less float, it is harder to get out of them when you need to pull out a foot fast. I've experienced that with my Frogs on a mountain bike, but never on any of my road bikes.

I think Frogs are the best pedal on the market and will never go back to another system.

572cv
11-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the frog comments. V. Helpful!