PDA

View Full Version : Base Layer Recommendation

msl819
11-01-2012, 05:38 PM
I thought I would solicit suggestions on this. I have gotten in the routine of wearing a base layer no matter the temps. I have been in a Craft base layer this season but would love to see what else you guys recommend. Mine is to the of the synthetic fiber perma-funk status once you get warm. What are you guys wearing and really liking?

AngryScientist
11-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Merino wool for all but the hottest temps. Rapha, swobo, icebreaker, etc

Gummee
11-01-2012, 05:42 PM
I've got about half a dozen different weights of base layer. From some older D-Feet Un-D-shirts to some Craft winter-weight bases.

The one I recommend most is the Garneau mesh base layer. Combine that with another layer and you get both moisture management AND temp regulation. The air pockets made by the mesh help create a micro-climate. Good stuff. Warmest thing you'll wear all winter.

M

Vientomas
11-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Pearl Izumi

dk2ck
11-01-2012, 05:44 PM
No personal experience, but I have heard nothing but good things about the Torm baselayers: http://torm.cc/b1.html

I am planning on picking one up soon.

EDS
11-01-2012, 05:44 PM
I thought I would solicit suggestions on this. I have gotten in the routine of wearing a base layer no matter the temps. I have been in a Craft base layer this season but would love to see what else you guys recommend. Mine is to the of the synthetic fiber perma-funk status once you get warm. What are you guys wearing and really liking?

I have never had a problem with smell with the craft stuff.

PQJ
11-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Huge fan of craft (and no bo issues but i suspect thats person specific - i avoid castelli for this reason) and if I'm looking for something reasonably priced it's the go-to option. Like my rapha wool base layer very much too. If you can afford it I'm sure the assos stuff is great but don't have experience with their base layers.

msl819
11-01-2012, 05:50 PM
I have never had a problem with smell with the craft stuff.

Oh the problem is me I am sure. It has been a work horse. It was the only baselayer to get use for over a year. Wash, hang dry, and wear again. But after the use and abuse I have found that synthetic fiber start to smell like a football locker room. It has served me well just looking for other experience. Does the merino wool fight the funk better. I am in Louisiana so most rides here are hot.

fourflys
11-01-2012, 06:22 PM

yep... I have two of the Swobo ones and they are awesome... I've worn them in SoCal in the Summer and up here in Kodiak in 40 degree temps... merino wool just works...

67-59
11-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Love my Raphas - have both long and short-sleeved. Nice thing is I can wear them a few times before they get funky...even in the summer.

msl819
11-01-2012, 06:23 PM
yep... I have two of the Swobo ones and they are awesome... I've worn them in SoCal in the Summer and up here in Kodiak in 40 degree temps... merino wool just works...

where would you guys call too hot for merino wool?

fourflys
11-01-2012, 06:26 PM
where would you guys call too hot for merino wool?

I've worn the Swobo stuff in high 80s/low 90s with no issues... I've actually never felt too hot in them...

Liv2RideHard
11-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Ibex Merino wool. You will not be disappointed. American made.

DHallerman
11-01-2012, 07:08 PM

+some very big number

And even during the hottest temps, I've wear these super-thin merino wool sleeveless shirts -- made by Sugoi but closeouts that I can't find anymore -- underneath traditional plastic jerseys.

The wool doesn't wick -- hate that BS marketing term -- but what it does is keep you comfortable, cool or warm as needed, even when there's sweat against your skin.

Dave, who particularly loves wool shirts that he wears both under jerseys or in regular life which means same clothing fits all (of life)

FlashUNC
11-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Cedar Cycling makes some awesome wool baselayers.

67-59
11-01-2012, 07:23 PM
I've worn the Swobo stuff in high 80s/low 90s with no issues... I've actually never felt too hot in them...

Same here...never been too hot with a SS merino base layer, even in 90s with humidity. Just wear a lightweight jersey over it and you're good to go.

charliedid
11-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Ibex Merino wool. You will not be disappointed. American made.

Actually the Ibex woolies base layers are made in Canada. Great stuff indeed...

For me wool = Ibex

Synthetic = Patagonia

tannhauser
11-01-2012, 08:13 PM
As it gets cooler a Craft lightweight plus wool over it, plus a plastic or wool jersey.

rice rocket
11-01-2012, 08:40 PM
I've been picking up a lot of Icebreaker ones because they show up on Steepandcheap.

pdmtong
11-01-2012, 10:24 PM
awhile back, rapha bundle 3-pak $140 then 20% coupon no tax free ship. this same 3-pak is now $195...ouch

hard to beat

for me, 80d is the upper limit then I go with craft.

apeescape
11-01-2012, 10:33 PM
I like my Capo baselayer.

jr59
11-02-2012, 06:21 AM

+some very big number

And even during the hottest temps, I've wear these super-thin merino wool sleeveless shirts -- made by Sugoi but closeouts that I can't find anymore -- underneath traditional plastic jerseys.

The wool doesn't wick -- hate that BS marketing term -- but what it does is keep you comfortable, cool or warm as needed, even when there's sweat against your skin.

Dave, who particularly loves wool shirts that he wears both under jerseys or in regular life which means same clothing fits all (of life)

Same here...never been too hot with a SS merino base layer, even in 90s with humidity. Just wear a lightweight jersey over it and you're good to go.

You all, come on down to new orleans next Aug or so and wear your wool.

I think it's funny! I handle heat very well. 100+ outside with 90% humidy no problem. Wearing the lightest wool does not work in these parts. Sorry, I tried it for a year and had to stop and peel it off before I overheated.

I do enjoy reading about base layers, because that is what I wear under my plastic jerssy all winter. no coat, vest, or anything like that.

I like the craft and ibex stuff, but have gotten a lot of second hand merrino wool sweaters from the second hand shops. Those work as well.

I hope you guys have a nice long and cold winter. It will give me a chance to catch up in fitness. :p

boxerboxer
11-02-2012, 09:58 AM
I've been quite happy with my Target house brand base layers, other than that the thermal long sleeved one was a little tight on my neck. At $15-20 a pop, it's a cheap blunder if you hate it.

jmoore
11-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Voler, Louis Garneau and Craft here. I like them all equally well.

And whoever mentioned "perma-stink", the next time you wash them, pre-soak them for 20 minutes with 1/4 cup of baking soda in the water. It will kill the stink, guaranteed.

gavingould
11-02-2012, 10:42 AM
i've done fine with Voler and Craft. never ponied up for the woolies (yet)

rodcad
11-02-2012, 11:20 AM

I think it's funny! I handle heat very well. 100+ outside with 90% humidy no problem. Wearing the lightest wool does not work in these parts. Sorry, I tried it for a year and had to stop and peel it off before I overheated.

I do enjoy reading about base layers, because that is what I wear under my plastic jerssy all winter. no coat, vest, or anything like that.

I like the craft and ibex stuff, but have gotten a lot of second hand merrino wool sweaters from the second hand shops. Those work as well.

I hope you guys have a nice long and cold winter. It will give me a chance to catch up in fitness. :p

Didn't you really mean to say "Y'ALL"?

svelocity
11-02-2012, 11:37 AM
I've been using the Smart Wool Microweight tank top. I really enjoy it for days under 65-70 degrees. I run hot so I can't imagine wearing anything underneath my kit above 70 degrees.

Cheers!

rice rocket
11-02-2012, 12:25 PM
I've been using the Smart Wool Microweight tank top. I really enjoy it for days under 65-70 degrees. I run hot so I can't imagine wearing anything underneath my kit above 70 degrees.

Cheers!

How do your nipples survive!

I have a lightweight mesh from Craft for the summer.

slidey
11-02-2012, 12:29 PM
I too wear a base-layer regardless of the temps...and, Craft does it for me!

jpw
11-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Huge fan of craft (and no bo issues but i suspect thats person specific - i avoid castelli for this reason) and if I'm looking for something reasonably priced it's the go-to option. Like my rapha wool base layer very much too. If you can afford it I'm sure the assos stuff is great but don't have experience with their base layers.

Assos is completely replacing its base layers with new designs and manufacturing techniques from next spring to winter. You may wish to wait for the new, or bag a bargain of the old.

TimD
11-02-2012, 12:52 PM

lhuerta
11-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Oh the problem is me I am sure. It has been a work horse. It was the only baselayer to get use for over a year. Wash, hang dry, and wear again. But after the use and abuse I have found that synthetic fiber start to smell like a football locker room. It has served me well just looking for other experience. Does the merino wool fight the funk better. I am in Louisiana so most rides here are hot.

The funk problem is probably due to your existing baselayer being the ONLY one in rotation for over over one year of use, not the quality of the materials.

Craft is the best stuff out there. I use the Cool Mesh Superlight through spring, summer and fall, and then switch to weight Craft Zero and Craft Windstopper in winter. I have used a variety of other brands but keep coming back to Craft, mostly because their fabrics and workmanship are top notch. In your climate an old timey retro grough wool fabric is not going to cut it...granted their are some modern wool and wool blends that are amazing, but this is one area where new synthetics will always win...IMO.

Lou

msl819
11-02-2012, 01:24 PM
The funk problem is probably due to your existing baselayer being the ONLY one in rotation for over over one year of use, not the quality of the materials.

Craft is the best stuff out there. I use the Cool Mesh Superlight through spring, summer and fall, and then switch to weight Craft Zero and Craft Windstopper in winter. I have used a variety of other brands but keep coming back to Craft, mostly because their fabrics and workmanship are top notch. In your climate an old timey retro grough wool fabric is not going to cut it...granted their are some modern wool and wool blends that are amazing, but this is one area where new synthetics will always win...IMO.

Lou

I certainly agree it is due to overuse and for the amount of use it has been a great buy. Since it is getting near retirement I just wanted to see what else was worth checking out. I will try the quarter cup of baking sofa with the next wash. I probably just need to pony up for about three and keep a better rotation.

bikerboy337
11-02-2012, 01:49 PM
I really love the craft baselayers... i always wear a sleeveless mesh, year round... once fall/winter hits, i add a long sleeve layer 1... i find that using the base layer, especially in the winter, pulls the sweat away from my skin and keeps me much much warmer than without, even though there is really no insulation factor...

i rotate several baselayers, and always wash using arm and hammer powder... never had any funk issues...

67-59
11-02-2012, 05:38 PM

You buy the beignets and the post-ride IVs, and I'm there!:eek:

jr59
11-02-2012, 05:41 PM
You buy the beignets and the post-ride IVs, and I'm there!:eek:

Done!!!

Bring your appetite too! Really good food down this way!
But sure thing, I'll buy! And laugh my a$$ off as you sweat to almost death!

DHallerman
11-02-2012, 05:46 PM

Sorry, Jr 59, all you have proved is the subjectivity of temperature perception.

The same super-thin wool sleeveless shirts I wear for cycling, well I wear them with shorts when the temps here in the Northeast hit 95 to 100.

And I find them more comfortable than cotton t-shirts. Far more comfortable, considering that hot weather is not basically comfortable.

But what you feel is right for you. But not objectively "right."

Really, the perception of temperature is a subjective matter. Or haven't you been married?

Dave, who says the humor behind that last statement is that most women he's known in his life including his wife often will find the same temperature conditions cold when he finds them warm or at least temperate and other women and men have attested to this temperature subjectivity

verticaldoug
11-02-2012, 05:48 PM
You might want to buy some NikWax BaseWash which is a specialty detergent to kill the funk. I think it works well.

WIN High Performance Sports detergent is also good but harder to find.

Wool is comfy but not as durable as synthetics. I think craft is the best out there.

jr59
11-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Sorry, Jr 59, all you have proved is the subjectivity of temperature perception.

The same super-thin wool sleeveless shirts I wear for cycling, well I wear them with shorts when the temps here in the Northeast hit 95 to 100.

And I find them more comfortable than cotton t-shirts. Far more comfortable, considering that hot weather is not basically comfortable.

But what you feel is right for you. But not objectively "right."

Really, the perception of temperature is a subjective matter. Or haven't you been married?

Dave, who says the humor behind that last statement is that most women he's known in his life including his wife often will find the same temperature conditions cold when he finds them warm or at least temperate and other women and men have attested to this temperature subjectivity

point well made!

Frankwurst
11-02-2012, 06:24 PM
You've never seen a sheep looking to get out of the rain,cold or sun have you? I prefer it. Underwear,base,and top layer. Our son makes his living outdoors in the land of the great chill factor (where it also gets hot and $hitty) and he and I are always discussing good finds in the wool world. It works in the heat as well as the cold and wet. Ibex is good in the base world and on the ouside Wabi Woolens is hard to beat. Not to mention Wabi is made in the U.S.A and Harth is a cyclist/nice guy that gets it. :beer:

martinrjensen
11-02-2012, 07:31 PM
In the shade...where would you guys call too hot for merino wool?

trukweaz
11-03-2012, 08:10 AM

As a Maine based rider who only spends about 5 days on the trainer...I say a few different types of Craft is key. they also just released a new version billed as "their warmest ever'?

Steelman
11-03-2012, 03:20 PM
I've been quite happy with my Target house brand base layers, other than that the thermal long sleeved one was a little tight on my neck. At $15-20 a pop, it's a cheap blunder if you hate it.

Yeah, Target stuff (Champion), off the clearance rack, or often on sale. Lucky for me the thermals fit my neck fine.

Ross Stores - have had good luck there with Adidas, Dunlop, Russell, Nike. All under $20. Recently purchased a Russell long sleeve there (looks just like the $55 hooded NXT, but w/o hood), nicely vented, under $10.

Walmart (Athletic Works) & Costco (Paradox) are also worth a look. The quality might surprise you.

dk2ck
11-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Does anyone here have super strong feelings about short sleeve versus sleeveless base layers? I imagine sleeveless might be a little more comfortable so you don't have the fabric on the arms bunching up?

Ahneida Ride
11-04-2012, 08:07 AM
Please visit www.foxwear.net

Lou makes em all custom

JayBay
11-05-2012, 09:03 AM
I've got a merino short-sleeve from Defeet that I absolutely love.

FlashUNC
11-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Does anyone here have super strong feelings about short sleeve versus sleeveless base layers? I imagine sleeveless might be a little more comfortable so you don't have the fabric on the arms bunching up?

I used short sleeve baselayers, even on hot days, and bunching isn't an issue.

shovelhd
11-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Starter, both compression and weave. $9.

vibe
11-06-2012, 09:59 PM
anyone else here wear a long sleeve underarmour cold weather for their base layer?

my merino wool sweater just arrived but i was just curious...