PDA

View Full Version : Drilling Reynolds fork / carbon seatstays

vav
10-31-2012, 11:17 PM
Ooops. Tried to install brakes on a bike tonight and can't fit the sleeves through the holes ( Reynolds Ouzo Pro ) and carbon seatstay. Quick search online reveals Reynolds proprietary nuts .3 mm smaller than regular brake nuts.

Question 1: Anybody has the nut(s) that would like to sell? Or a lead of where to find them? Nothing on Ebay that I see.

Question 2: Would it be safe to drill and shave the .3 mm of the carbon fork and seatstay?

Thanks
V

jds108
10-31-2012, 11:32 PM
Just go to reynoldscycling.com and buy one of the real thing...

vqdriver
10-31-2012, 11:47 PM
I've run into this in the past. I took my bike/fork to the lbs and the tech brought out his box o nuts and just went thru until a match was found. Took all of 5 minutes and like a buck.

esldude
11-01-2012, 05:39 AM
Serotta also can sell you one though the price is a bit much in my opinion.

Definitely get the right thing though, don't drill it.

ultraman6970
11-01-2012, 06:05 AM
You are doing this way too complicated, just dremel/file those nuts until they fit the holes. Done.

keevon
11-01-2012, 06:14 AM
You are doing this way too complicated, just dremel/file those nuts until they fit the holes. Done.
Yep. Do this.

phcollard
11-01-2012, 06:23 AM
I was once told by a reputable framebuilder that it's safe to drill the holes to match std nut diameter.

Joachim
11-01-2012, 08:46 AM
The rear requires a longer than normal brake nut. I got the rear one from Serotta, I got the front from Reynolds (both used on my Ottrott). If you drill the rear to fit a normal nut it might still be too short and then it will be too wide for the Reynolds rear nut. Just get the right nuts.

TimD
11-01-2012, 08:54 AM
I was once told by a reputable framebuilder that it's safe to drill the holes to match std nut diameter.

Ask the reputable framebuilder to show you their stress analysis of the modified part demonstrating it is safe.

DRZRM
11-01-2012, 09:00 AM
Call or go to Reynolds site. They generally have them in stock and they get them right into the mail, I think I had one in 3 days. This was for the fork. If you have a good shop nearby bring it by, they are likely to have them in a box some place.

vav
11-01-2012, 11:07 AM
is nuts ( pun intended );) Went to LBS and went over their whole stash and found one ( good start ) that fits the seatstays. Now I only need one for the fork.

And I am not drilling or shaving it either.

bookit
11-01-2012, 11:11 AM
noooo dont drill the carbonnn

Serotta_Carbon
11-01-2012, 12:28 PM
The Ouzo Pro fork used a proprietary nut that I believe is still available from Reynolds or other suppliers. This is the same nut that is used on the Serotta forks and seat stays.

The Reynolds seat stay was designed to be used with the stock nut that comes with the rear brake. Much shorter than the fork nut...