PDA

View Full Version : Perfect headtube cut...

Loro_tomas
10-15-2005, 10:03 AM
As promise the cut of the headtube of the Marcelo went perfect. You can see the bike before the hacking here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=11703).

LORO

theprep
10-15-2005, 10:15 AM
Great job, it looks Perfect.

What did they use to cut the tube. I wanted my LBS to cut the headtube 12-15 mm on my Colorado III. They were going to use a bottom bracket facing tool and said they may need to charge extra to resharpen or replace the tool blades.

cheers,
Prep

Loro_tomas
10-15-2005, 11:30 AM
Great job, it looks Perfect.

What did they use to cut the tube. I wanted my LBS to cut the headtube 12-15 mm on my Colorado III. They were going to use a bottom bracket facing tool and said they may need to charge extra to resharpen or replace the tool blades.

cheers,
Prep
The guys at the LBS sent me to a lathe shop. They used some sort of shaving machine that squirted a liquid into the cutting area. It took 1 hour for the machine to shave 20mm. The guy told me that is very important to do it like that so the tube doesn't heat up. The heat may damage the paint job.

Loro.

Cadence230
10-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Beautiful bike. Artsy for sure. I need to do this as well and figured the job needed professional assistance such as this. A lathe shop eh? Well alrighty then!

jerk
10-15-2005, 12:23 PM
not required. hacksaw, guide, cutting oil and frame prep tools are all you need.

jerk

(believe you the jerk, he had to do this to all twenty team nerac bikes.)

Tmogul
10-15-2005, 01:41 PM
Is that all you need to do? I thought you'd also need to re-face it to fit the headset. Either way the frame looks great. It looks proportional now compared to the extra bit that was there before. Enjoy

jerk
10-15-2005, 01:51 PM
Is that all you need to do? I thought you'd also need to re-face it to fit the headset. Either way the frame looks great. It looks proportional now compared to the extra bit that was there before. Enjoy

that's why you need the frame prep tools.

jerk

Samster
10-15-2005, 02:13 PM
:eek:

Hey, it could have been worse... You could have had _me_ do it with a Dremel tool. Those things are amazing. You could open your own dental practice/christening service with one.

Nice bike, by the way.

-sam

BumbleBeeDave
10-15-2005, 04:57 PM
. . . pictures of Dario on the top tube? And what does the Italian phrase mean? . . . “Cutting head tube voids warranty?” :rolleyes:

bBDave

The Spider
10-15-2005, 11:37 PM
Fatti con le mani = get your frickin hands off, man!

it's to stop all the Italians touching your steed.

:)

Samster
10-16-2005, 09:51 AM
Beautiful bike. Artsy for sure. I need to do this as well and figured the job needed professional assistance such as this. A lathe shop eh? Well alrighty then!

Cadence:

Beautiful Ottrot... the red and black are a nice combination. I see you don't believe in rubber brifter hoods.

Are you really going to cut down the (ti) headtube?

--sam

blantonator
09-24-2012, 10:36 AM
The guys at the LBS sent me to a lathe shop. They used some sort of shaving machine that squirted a liquid into the cutting area. It took 1 hour for the machine to shave 20mm. The guy told me that is very important to do it like that so the tube doesn't heat up. The heat may damage the paint job.

Loro.

you have a very smart LBS!

avalonracing
09-24-2012, 10:39 AM
And what does the Italian phrase mean? . . . “Cutting head tube voids warranty?” :rolleyes:

I think it translates into "The bike will look a lot better with the head tube cut down.

bobswire
09-24-2012, 11:53 AM
I think it translates into "The bike will look a lot better with the head tube cut down.

So would the Mona Lisa as a blonde and a nose job but.......

eippo1
09-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Wow, this is quite the zombie tread. 7 years?

EricEstlund
09-24-2012, 12:19 PM
That painting was so worked over, reworked, and redone. Perfect example of making it "work for the owner".

Tony T
09-24-2012, 12:21 PM
Wow, this is quite the zombie tread. 7 years?

The reference from http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=116322 brought it to life.