PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Salute

george
10-15-2005, 12:28 AM
On my last few rides I came up with a new way to greet oncoming cyclist by giving them a "soldier salute" (four fingers straight out thumb bent inwards to the forehead). I've found the response is greater then a flick of the wrist as you pass each other; there is no time to react with the wrist flick. With the salute I hit them from a close distance so there is time to respond. A hi, a good morning, a good afternoon, a what's up, a nod of the head, or my favorite a smile :). Any one else use this technique, or how do you greet fellow cyclist the are riding towards you?

shaq-d
10-15-2005, 12:46 AM
the head nod...
*bobbles head*
sd

Andreu
10-15-2005, 03:26 AM
I try and acknowledge cyclists but sometimes on Sundays here (and Saturdays for that matter) I am in danger of getting repetitive strain syndrome as there are so many cyclists about. Funny how in the middle of the countryside some people don't say hello....there is even a member of our club who doesn't even acknowledge fellow club members when he passes them on the road.
I prefer the head nod (if chainganging or training pretty hard) or on a Sunday jaunt a wave. People who know each other here (the cycling world is pretty small even in Spain) will even stop, turn around and chat sometimes - which has got to be the friendliest of all.
A

Kevan
10-15-2005, 08:55 AM
and if I happen to hit a passing car at the moment, then that's their just desserts.

Okay, I don't do that, not really, but it's an option to consider.