PDA

View Full Version : Custom Frames and Aging

TT Tandem
10-28-2012, 05:42 PM
I had a conversation a few weelks ago with a fellow riding a Seven Ti. He had gone through some health issues and was now riding agin. But he had lost a lot of weight and felt the bike did not fit as well as it use to. So that begs the question, for those of us a bit older, how does the aging process affect the fit of a custom frame?

EricEstlund
10-28-2012, 06:16 PM
I've been building a solid number of anti-aging stems lately. Folks who loved 9cm of drop at one point, but are more interested in 1cm or so now.

A lot of it depends on the original fit, and how well your fitness has continued to support that fit with your current tastes in riding. Age is just one variable, and doesn't tell much on it's own.

jr59
10-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Well, Normally age does effect one big part of the process.

Most times, it doesn't effect your wallet as badly!

Or maybe it does and we don't notice it as much! :cool:

bargainguy
10-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Curious, did the rider say what didn't feel right anymore?

Like Eric said, less flexibility with age is common, but I have a feeling your question has a different trajectory - as in, do large changes in soft tissue & fat distrubution substantially affect fit & comfort?

Don

ultraman6970
10-28-2012, 07:55 PM
As older you get the shorter you will get, same problem with flexibility, as older you get the stiffer you become so kind'a makes sense what the guys says.

eddief
10-28-2012, 07:57 PM
keep getting shorter as the frame gets older.

AgilisMerlin
10-28-2012, 08:10 PM
let's celebrate getting old http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/1737346_o.gif

eippo1
10-28-2012, 10:01 PM
I'm pretty amazed with what has happened to me in the past couple years. I used to go for 6 plus inches of drop. Now I'm at 4 and wondering how I ever got down that löw.

jimcav
10-28-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm pretty amazed with what has happened to me in the past couple years. I used to go for 6 plus inches of drop. Now I'm at 4 and wondering how I ever got down that löw.

wow that is amazing. and I though 9-10 cm was aggressive...

eippo1
10-28-2012, 10:38 PM
wow that is amazing. and I though 9-10 cm was aggressive...

Yeah, I realize it was a bit ridiculous to be so low, but I am very flexy and it was mostly comfortable. My quads were up in my chest, though -- not optimal for sprinting.

fuzzalow
10-29-2012, 05:38 AM
So that begs the question, for those of us a bit older, how does the aging process affect the fit of a custom frame?

This is very discreet, but what is the range of age we are talking about here? 40s? 50s? 60s? 70s? None of us are immune to ageing but it isn't as if a wall is hit on a particular birthday.

I would be truly saddened if the shopping cart custom was the undeniable outcome.

EricEstlund
10-29-2012, 09:44 AM
For what it's worth, this is a conversation I have with clients. I assume (unless told otherwise) that they are going to have the bike for the long run. We try to assess their general needs, and project for future changes and modifications within reason.*

So to answer the question "how does the aging process affect the fit of a custom frame"- my answer is that it's all part of the process.

*That "within reason" part is important. If I'm building a race bike for a limber 20 year old, I'm not to worried about their return to the sport at 70 having taken a 30 year retirement. If I'm building a bike for someone who is 50 with back issues who doesn't anticipate replacing it for 30 years, things are a bit different.

cnighbor1
10-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Has one ages one can loss flexibility. If that happens than your correct position on your bicycle could need to be modified a lot. i.e sit more up rigth!
And some frame i.e. pure racing design can't accommodate that modification.
and a new frame is required
I am 76 and still ride racing type frames with drop handle bars. but I work at keeping my flexibility. and most of my frames have a longer wheelbase. and I locate the handlebars up even with the saddle. I ride in a mostly upright postion using tips of my fingers to steer with. than when needed bend over and ride that way

TT Tandem
10-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the replies. The fellow I was riding with did say that the bike did not feel quite the same. He was going back to see about a shorter stem.