PDA

View Full Version : Aix en Provence

Plum Hill
10-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Local club has announced it's spring trip to France.
Can anyone clue me into riding opportunities in the area?

zap
10-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Lionel (cyclist extraordinare) who posts here and with whom I've ridden lives in Aix.

We were in Southern France in April and we stayed about 1.5 hours NE of Aix in a small town called Quinson. Great riding in the countryside and less traffic than close in towns such as Aix.

Hopefully Lionel see's this thread.

tiretrax
10-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Lots. The TDF has gone through that area many times. There are some nice hills in every direction. It's a reasonable drive to Mt. Ventoux, too. You'll have a great time.

Hindmost
10-28-2012, 05:38 PM
Several years ago I was on an organized tour during which we skirted north of Aix, rode over the Luberon, and continued on to the lArdeche. Toward the end of one day one rider commented on how our tour organizer had chosen such lovely roads! Another rider replied that ANY of the local, rural roads were just as wonderful. Many smiles and much laughter.

Lionel
10-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Hi. Riding is great in Aix. Not sure where to start. Let me know the type of riding you want to do and I can give some pointers. Will you be staying downtown Aix ?

paulh
10-28-2012, 05:59 PM
A stage of the tour starts there this year. Check their route.

http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2013/us/stage-6.html

Ken Robb
10-28-2012, 06:25 PM
If I was in Provence I wouldn't waste time riding when I could be eating and drinking. :banana:

thinpin
10-28-2012, 07:52 PM
If I was in Provence I wouldn't waste time riding when I could be eating and drinking. :banana:

+1 but you got to work up an appetite.

velotel
10-29-2012, 01:08 AM
I always say that a person could be parachuted just about anywhere in France (as long as it's not in the middle of some city and especially Paris) with no map and no idea where he/she is and have a great ride. This is a country with something like 1.4 million kilometers of paved secondary roads. And I do mean secondary, like little traffic, narrow roads. But still excellent pavement. Aix is no exception. Lionel will be the source of the info you need/want but as an area, the place is terrific, though a bit crowded for my taste. Kind of like Florida or Arizona, retired people head down that way. And more and more businesses have installed themselves in the south to attract the workers they want.

The only caveat in the scenario is the wind. The region is infamous for days of strong winds, sometimes out of the south, sometimes out of the north, that can be seriously tiresome apparently. I've been lucky and have never experienced the winds when I've been in the south but have heard lots of stories from people who have fought them. Spring is also I believe the season when the winds may be more frequent.

Other than that spring is wonderful in the south and Aix is a fine town, at least the old center town. My guess is that if you go what you'll get is going to be the result of your club's planning more than on anything else. I'm sure you'll love it if you go, assuming the people you go with aren't completely null.

Black Dog
10-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Velotel, I am going to be in France Next August for 3 weeks with my bike. 10 of those days are just for riding. We are looking to rent a place in the alps. Any suggestions?

mvrider
10-29-2012, 02:31 PM
We stayed in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, a great town better known for the asylum where Van Gogh convalesced and painted. Pretty riding country nearby, a castle on top of the hill, and close to many of the attractions. We noticed some nice riding trails through lavender country for future visits. Mt Ventoux is not too far, either. Fantastic food in town.

Great thing about this region: every 5km there's another great little town, with requisite bakery, ice cream parlor, cafes.

Plum Hill
10-29-2012, 03:11 PM

If I don't stop eating and drinking, I may not be able to ride in Provence.

572cv
10-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Velotel is right about riding in France. It is good almost anywhere. There is an inherent courtesy towards riders, yes, but the web of tiny roads can be fantastic, rewarding and deeply satisfying to ride. If you go to the website ViaMichelin, You will see that roads are color coded as well as numbered. The red and fatter red/yellow roads are busier. The little yellow roads have some traffic, and the white roads are amazing. Roads with a green line along the side have views or some scenic attribute. So, an area with a web of white roads can be just amazing to ride, with lots of options. For example, if you can work your way over the Durance River and up to Loumarin, you can ride across through Cucuron, Sannes, St Martin and then turn up D33 through Vitrolles and go over the Col de l'Aire down to Cereste on the north side of the Grand Luberon, and then work your way back to Bonnieux, perhaps taking in the Pont Romain, then back up over the Luberon to Loumarin. Check the market day for Loumarin, it is one of the best in the area. Anyway, that loop is around 60 miles. I was there about three or four weeks ago, it was lovely. I was based near Bonnieux, as it happened, but the whole area was just terrific for riding. Have a great trip!

Levendis
10-29-2012, 09:37 PM
I just came back from Provence two weeks ago.
Aix is a packed tourist town, while it is popular with sightseeing tourists, it is about an hour to the south of the best cycling.
If you haven't been before, it might make sense for you to plan ahead by googling the following key words:
Luberon Cycling
Gordes Apt Ventoux Rousillon Cycling
Lavender season
La Coquillade BMC
Cycling France by Lonely Planet
eng.veloloisirluberon.com/
Conde Nast guide Provence classic itinerary
Villa Gallici

Extra takeaways
While the cycling was pretty spectacular, don't forget to try the many local horse riding trails as well - dozens of stables looking for an excuse to keep all their horses.
The Camargues has the most hungry and fierce mosquitoes in France
Go easy on the wine and food at lunch...