PDA

View Full Version : Record 10 - new chain skipping in single (19t) cog.

67-59
10-27-2012, 08:45 PM
I just replaced a stretched chain on my Record 10-speed setup (Record chain, and 12-25 Record cassette). No skipping issues before the switch, but my Park tool told me it was time (well, probably a bit overdue:no:).

With the new chain, everything is fine in 9 of the cogs...but the chain periodically skips in the 19t cog. It'll always skip under hard pedaling, and occasionally skips under a lighter load.

I assume my only real "fix" to get a new cassette or 19-21 cogset, right?

With just a bit of use of the new chain, will this skipping likely go away?

If I just live with the skipping in the 19t cog, will it damage the chain or cause it to wear faster?

I'm pretty sure the answer is a new cassette...but might live with the skipping for a bit if it might go away with a bit of chain wear. Thoughts?

coylifut
10-27-2012, 09:06 PM
new chain + chain skip in the middle of the cogset =classic sign that your cassette is worn out.

replace and get back to crisp shifting.

thwart
10-27-2012, 09:27 PM
My solution to the same problem on my winter bike was to put back on the old chain... skip gone. I'll eventually replace both the cassette and chain, probably next year.

Of course, I am gradually sacrificing my crank with a worn chain, but it's a cheap and easily replaced crank...

Not a choice I'd make with one of my better bikes.

67-59
10-27-2012, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the replies. This is my "A" bike (Kirk), so I'm gonna fix instead of quick-fix...and I've already tossed the old chain anyway. I guess I'll just avoid the 19t cog as much as I can for the next few days until I can get a new cassette. Living in a small town unfortunately means it'll be a few days, since none of the shops stock enough Campy stuff to have a 10 speed cassette in stock.:mad:

Dave
10-28-2012, 08:28 AM
The skipping may well quit, but it could take a few hundred miles of use on the chain, before that happens.

One other trick for getting more use from a lightly lightly worn cog is to get a new cassette and only use it with the new chain for a few hundred miles. Then put the old cassette back on. The skip will be gone and the cassette can be used of the life of that last chain. At that point, there's also no point in tossing the chain too soon, since you're no longer trying to avoid new-chain skip.

67-59
10-28-2012, 11:19 AM
The skipping may well quit, but it could take a few hundred miles of use on the chain, before that happens.

That might actually happen before I get the new cassette. 70 miles yesterday, another 60-80 this afternoon, and probably 40-ish per weekday.

Assuming I get to that point...would it be doing any more damage to the chain to keep riding (beyond the stretch that always happens)? Or would the only downside be the annoyance of the occasional skip?

Dave
10-28-2012, 11:55 AM
If the skipping quits, it won't bother the chain or reduce it's life.