PDA

View Full Version : here is a new topic

dirtdigger88
02-25-2004, 05:39 PM
I know it is winter and all, but I have not see a post about riding in a while. Here it goes. I went out last Sunday. It was over cast but warm (for St. Louis in Febuary). As I am a new father I did not get much time to ride, but I did get 45 miles in. Now it is Wednesday and my legs are just loosing that sting. It must have been a good ride:banana:
Saturday is the first race of the year. "The Froze Toes" It is susposed to be in the 50's though. So what is my point to all of this. . . I rode my bike and life is good.

saab2000
02-25-2004, 08:10 PM
Dude,

I rode the last 2 days... in Wisconsin. It is cold, but the roads are mostly dry. I did figure out one thing I did not miss during my 15 years or so in Europe: dogs. When I lived in Europe (I hate to use the past tense, because I very much hope to go back) I NEVER got chased by dogs. Ever.

Europe ain't perfect, but dogs are not a problem. By the way, I was once told that in polite company (like here at the Serotta forum) one should avoid the contraction "ain't". Apparently it is much more correct to use the words "ai not"........

Sorry, I laughed when I first heard that... I laugh at my own jokes which is a sad thing indeed.:D

BumbleBeeDave
02-25-2004, 08:50 PM
I ai not ridden since Thanksgiving, but I have been taking spin classes, though they ai not as good as actual riding. But it’s been pretty poor weather here in the (not-so) Great Northeast, and I ai not fond of freezing various appendages off when I ride.

But I hope to get back out on the road by the end of March. Ai not life grand?

BBDave

pale scotsman
02-25-2004, 08:57 PM
Knocked out 43 miles on Saturday. Temp was 54 when I started and 65 when I finished. The fun part was 17 miles back to the car into a 12 mph headwind. Funny Saab2000 mentioned dogs. Came upon a couple trailer compounds that must have gotten new tennents. Two huge English Bulldogs chained thank God, or is it Dog in this case? The other had 4 hunting dogs sprawled in the road. Hit 32mph sprinting away from them. Mannnnnnnnn they looked hungry!

Bruce H.
02-25-2004, 11:25 PM
Get ready all of us in the DC to NYC area. Supposed to be in the high 50's on Sunday. Time to unleash the wheels and get some real miles outside!
Bruce H.

TimD
02-26-2004, 05:48 AM
100 miles on 7 rides in the coldest January since 1890, including one brief outing at 9 degrees F.; 200 miles on 10 rides so far in February including 9 days off the bike while on vacation.

What winter? :)

Kevin
02-26-2004, 06:17 AM
This weekend it is supposed to be in the mid-50s in NY. This will be my first weekend on the road in a long time. I am starting to hate the indoor trainer.

Kevin

weisan
02-26-2004, 06:53 AM
Weather is not so much an issue here in Austin, Texas but time and family commitment is. Still, I am able to ride almost every Saturdays since November for an average of 50~75+ miles with the temperature ranging between 55~72 degree. Very blessed indeed!
:cool:

I can see myself going into the season stronger with the base miles buildup.
Really having a great time on the Legend. Can see now how it's being constantly labelled here by some as the "do-everything-well" all-rounder bike.
The last couple of weeks, have been riding out on the flatter farm roads east side of town, thereby encountering lots of dogs. My buddy and I got to put into practice all sorts of dogs fending techniques, not sure which works best.
I guess it depends on the dog personality.

davids
02-26-2004, 02:11 PM
I ride every weekend (except Valentine's, which was spent in NYC with my wife - lots of cyclists in Central Park, though!)

When it gets cold, I head into the woods. And it got cold this winter. I set a new personal record with a ride at 3 degrees F. I got back to the car after 90 minutes with a beard full of ice - a combination of my condensed breath and usually-moist things I'd rather not think too much about.

Three degrees was really, really cold - I never really warmed up completely. I'm happier with a low in the teens. But I really dig cold weather riding! The woods can be spectacularly beautiful, especially with a little snow, and the cold air keeps me envigorated and alert.

I am definitely looking forward to some warmer weather though - my Axiom seems so forelorn, perched on the trainer. I can't wait to get back on the road!