PDA

View Full Version : Campy shifter advice

Robbos
10-27-2012, 11:17 AM
I've got two sets of Campy ergo 2 Centaur shifters on two different bikes. Both are in very good shape, are clean, well-lubed, and run on very clean cables and housing. One set shifts very smoothly with light action while the others are much more positive with a fair deal more force to initiate shifts. Strangely the stiffer set are on a Dura Ace derailleur set, while the light action are on a XT set up for a touring bike. Question is- I prefer the fluid, lighter shifting. Is there a way to "loosen up" the stiff set without major surgery? Like loosening every so slightly the main bolt that holds the guts together? Please no lectures, I know I'm being lazy about things!
Thanks!

thwart
10-27-2012, 03:12 PM
Like loosening every so slightly the main bolt that holds the guts together?No-o-o! :eek:

Don't know what 'ergo 2' means, but the latest version/shape of Centaur initially had very light-feeling shifting (some described it as Shimano-like) of the rear derailleur, then Campy changed the innards slightly to give a more defined, 'traditional Campy' sort of shifting feel. So it could be that your XT bike is one of the initial 2009 Centaur models, while the DA bike has the slightly later version...

coylifut
10-27-2012, 03:15 PM
i had a set that felt stiff like that when new, bout after about 4k miles, they loosened up and feel light action. Same story with the Record shifters on my A bike.

oldpotatoe
10-27-2012, 03:58 PM
I've got two sets of Campy ergo 2 Centaur shifters on two different bikes. Both are in very good shape, are clean, well-lubed, and run on very clean cables and housing. One set shifts very smoothly with light action while the others are much more positive with a fair deal more force to initiate shifts. Strangely the stiffer set are on a Dura Ace derailleur set, while the light action are on a XT set up for a touring bike. Question is- I prefer the fluid, lighter shifting. Is there a way to "loosen up" the stiff set without major surgery? Like loosening every so slightly the main bolt that holds the guts together? Please no lectures, I know I'm being lazy about things!
Thanks!

DON'T loosen things up.

Which levers?

Second gen or third? 2006 or older or 2007/8 or 2009/2010 or 2011?

Robbos
10-27-2012, 05:43 PM
99,8% certain they're the pre-2006 version.