PDA

View Full Version : Trainerroad.com

Alan
10-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Anyone using trainerroad.com ? I spent some time on the site and for $10 a month it looks quite good. I have a Kurt Kinetic trainer and a Garmin USB stick so all I need is a speed sensor that is fairly cheap.

My biggest hesitation is around the training plans. They have some that are multiple weeks but I try to get outside on the weekends during the winter and would want a set of plans that start in Nov and go thru early spring. I know that I can do this on my own but it would be nice to look at annual or at least 6 mo plans instead of 6-12 week plans.

Have you stuck w this if you have used it? I know that Kurt Kinetic is developing their own version on the iPad for $229 but it is not out yet.

Alan

Bill D
10-27-2012, 06:40 PM
I used it for much of the summer (when it is too hot for me to be outside for hours at a time in Phoenix). I found it through Slowtwitch.com, where the owners of trainerroad post a lot. I think it is easily worth ten bucks a month. I never used to like riding on the trainer very much, but i have stayed motivated for months with trainerroad. It is a combination of the user interface and the included training plans that I like. I like just following what the workout tells me to do, which gives each workout a purpose, yet it is easy to watch videos at the same time on the computer. It is quite slick.

Plus, the virtual power is nice for someone that doesn't have a power meter. I don't want to spend the money for a power meter, but I can use power in the workouts because they can estimate power from speed and a power curve for your trainer. It probably isn't super-accurate, but it is supposedly fairly precise (reliably repeatable). It has been great training with power. I miss it on the road now.

The way it works, you can pick whatever workout you want to do, so if you started a plan and wanted to ride outside some, it would be easy to do both. You might just stretch out the plan, or add your other rides into the plan, or whatever. I don't think that should be a deterrent because there are plenty of ways to do that.

When I first signed up, they had a free month up front. I don't know if they still do that. But there is no commitment, so it is fairly low risk to give it a try if already have the equipment (trainer, speed/cadence sensor, and the USB stick to do ANT with the sensor). It has been a great tool for me, and I would recommend it without reservation. As an aside, I also really like supporting good small businesses, and trainerroad is basically two guys who seem to be doing good work.

-Bill

Ti_on_Steel
10-27-2012, 07:59 PM
I've just started using it to estimate power and FTP and have been pretty pleased. I don't have a power meter, but judging from the results it estimated I think it's a little high. What really matters though is that it is consistent. It walks you through a 8 minute FTP test, and gives you a baseline to go back and compare to later.

i've also head that it integrates well with the SufferFest videos if you want something to watch while training.

NatePearson
10-27-2012, 11:20 PM
My biggest hesitation is around the training plans. They have some that are multiple weeks but I try to get outside on the weekends during the winter and would want a set of plans that start in Nov and go thru early spring. I know that I can do this on my own but it would be nice to look at annual or at least 6 mo plans instead of 6-12 week plans.

Hey Allen, Nate from TrainerRoad.com here. I have google alerts for our name so if you mention us I show up! Creepy huh? :)

We realize that a lot of people do some indoors and some outdoors. That's actually what I do year round. Some of our plans have options for both indoor and outdoor for each ride. There are also some rides that are just "90 minute spins" that you can do indoor or outdoor.

We plan on having indoor/outdoor alternatives for all of our workouts.

A lot of guys even use us in the summer. They do solid interval work during the week before/after work then do longer rides or race on the weekends. Works like a charm to get really fit :).

Let me know if you have any questions.

hairylegs
11-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Just started up with trainer road today and have to say quite impressed! I did the 8 minute test and have to say it's quite cool to get the visual feedback so nicely display on my screen! I've only done computrainer once, but thought the power feedback was really great.

Looking forward to doing a sufferfest workout next!!! Since I don't ride my tribike that often on the road, I think I'll just leave it set up in my recording room.

Well done. Impressed.

P.S. Need to put a fan in there!

NatePearson
11-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Ah, great to hear! :)

dekindy
11-01-2012, 08:47 PM
This looks too good to be true. If I was not already committed to a Computrainer class I would be doing this.

Best way would be to do a Computrainer session and determine your level and then duplicate on your home trainer using Trainerroad.com.

NatePearson
11-04-2012, 11:05 PM
This looks too good to be true. If I was not already committed to a Computrainer class I would be doing this.

Best way would be to do a Computrainer session and determine your level and then duplicate on your home trainer using Trainerroad.com.

If you have a computrainer you can plug that directly into TrainerRoad too.

AngryScientist
11-05-2012, 06:07 AM
i think i'm in on this. looking to get into power for christmas. sounds like a good training tool. thanks for the linkie link.

Hartlin
11-05-2012, 06:56 AM
Just picked up one of the USB sticks online, will give this a try within the next few weeks.

I always struggle to get hours in during the week in the winter, so hopefully this will help to keep me motivated on the trainer. Usually end up getting outside on the weekend for long road rides or MTB rides depending on the weather.

Alan
11-05-2012, 07:13 AM
Once I get my Garmin speed sensor I will give it a try w my Kurt Kinetic trainer.

Alan

oldguy00
11-05-2012, 07:43 AM
Ah, great to hear! :)

Nate,
Have people had success using it with a LeMond Revolution trainer?

Thanks

dekindy
11-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Nate,
Have people had success using it with a LeMond Revolution trainer?

Thanks

Since the variables of tire pressure and roller resistance are not present and there is no fluid resistance that has to warm up, it should be the most consistent and from the get go. Just checked and it is listed in beta.The Power Pilot is $349 so would have to verify Hoist will sell the power transmitter and cadence sensor separately once the Revolution is compatible with Trainerroad.

I already have a Kurt Kinetic. However if I was purchasing the ability to simply remove the rear wheel and install the bike in the trainer is very fast and simple and it gets good reviews for overall performance and noise level. Price is a little higher but worth it. An obstacle and in the short term the company has been sold so availability appears to be limited.

dekindy
12-07-2012, 06:17 PM
I ordered an Ant+ stick and Wahoo speed/cadence sensor from Clever Training because I have read so much about trainers on DCRainmaker's website and wanted him to get some compensation for all the information he provides. It took them over a week to process the order; not sure if that is normal, out of inventory on an item or what; did get an additional 10% discount using the link. Hope to get the stuff by the end of next week and get Trainerroad up and going in time for the Holidays and the end of my 8-week Computrainer session. Really looking forward to using this now that I know about it.