PDA

View Full Version : UCI Caves!

djg21
10-26-2012, 10:25 AM
This seems to be a positive development!

UCI management committee will not reallocate Armstrong's Tours

External commission to examine UCI's role in Armstrong affair; Kimmage case suspended

The management committee of the UCI has decided not to award Lance Armstrong's stripped Tour de France titles to any rider following a special meeting in Geneva, Switzerland on Friday. The committee has also agreed to establish an external commission to examine the allegations made about the UCI's handling of the Armstrong case, and the UCI will suspend its legal action against Paul Kimmage, pending the commission's findings.

. . . .

The management committee has also requested that an external commission be established to examine "various allegations made about UCI relating to the Armstrong affair".

In particular, concerns have been raised over the manner in which the UCI accepted donations from Armstrong in 2002 and 2005 totaling US$125,000.
. . . .

As well as examining the UCI's role, the independent commission will look to "find ways to ensure that persons caught for doping were no longer able to take part in the sport, including as part of an entourage."
. . . .

Pending the independent commission's report next year, the UCI management committee also opted to seek the suspension of the defamation case against the journalist and former rider Paul Kimmage . . . .

Read more at: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-management-committee-will-not-reallocate-armstrongs-tours

slidey
10-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Definitely seems like a positive development, only the composition of the external commission will give us an indication as to how the investigation will swing.

As for Kimmage case, very happy about that!

BumbleBeeDave
10-26-2012, 10:37 AM
. . but if it's their OWN "management committee" that will be creating the supposedly "independent" commission, then how independent will it really be?

Forgive my cynicism, but I smell a whitewash given previous actions from them.

BBD

djg21
10-26-2012, 10:47 AM
. . but if it's their OWN "management committee" that will be creating the supposedly "independent" commission, then how independent will it really be?

Forgive my cynicism, but I smell a whitewash given previous actions from them.

BBD

We'll have to wait and see.

We're I on the UCI (and assuming the UCI has nothing to hide) I'd seriously consider requesting Lemond to serve on the Commission. The optics would be great, and there could be little or no suspicion of him being biased in favor of UCI.

As a practical matter, the Commission will also need to enlist forensic accountants and others with specialized knowledge. I'll be curious to see what kind of resources UCI makes available to this end.

mistermo
10-26-2012, 10:55 AM
The skeptic in me believes that if they form the external commission, then the findings won't be damning.

Maybe I'm pollyannish, but I'd like to see an outside committee thrust on them.

This committee forming, gives them a line to feed to the media while the Lance/Padua storms blow over. After the storms have passed, the committee will find nothing and life will go on.

laupsi
10-26-2012, 11:21 AM
baby steps perhaps? one day at a time and yes things are progressing. we are not at the conclusion of this yet, and what good news for PK.

thwart
10-26-2012, 11:30 AM
"find ways to ensure that persons caught for doping were no longer able to take part in the sport, including as part of an entourage."
IMO, they need to find some middle ground between a complete and unquestioning amnesty and the continuing movement to purge all dopers and ex-dopers... or the strongest aspect of 'omerta' will continue.

tuxbailey
10-26-2012, 11:35 AM
At least suspending the lawsuit is a good beginning.

Vientomas
10-26-2012, 11:57 AM
An investigation? Fire up the paper shredders!

67-59
10-26-2012, 12:11 PM
We're I on the UCI (and assuming the UCI has nothing to hide) I'd seriously consider requesting Lemond to serve on the Commission. The optics would be great, and there could be little or no suspicion of him being biased in favor of UCI.

You're right that Lemond wouldn't be biased in favor of UCI. But I think the goal of any independent commission is to get an unbiased view of it. And Lemond would be about as unbiased about the UCI as Lance.

coylifut
10-26-2012, 01:42 PM
not pursuing the case against Kimage is the beginning of the whitewash. I'm sure McBruggen was convinced that an un employed journalist would lack the resources to put cycling on trial. He's up to $100k. $900 more k and it would have been an interesting trial.

I hope I'm wrong and McBruggen is/are dead men walking.

slidey
10-26-2012, 02:21 PM
In my view, this can't be an immediate solution any more. It seems increasingly likely to me that the UCI leadership is corrupt and during the doping years (maybe even now), they're providing a shelter to the doping programs of various teams since they saw it reaping financial success to the sport. Any result involving a pardon to the dopers effectively puts UCI in the right, in other words it puts the blame entirely on the riders and the truth is not uncovered any more. And yes, I do believe there is much more to be uncovered...Lance was the most prolific fall-guy, McQuaid/Vegburger-en are where its at.

IMO, they need to find some middle ground between a complete and unquestioning amnesty and the continuing movement to purge all dopers and ex-dopers... or the strongest aspect of 'omerta' will continue.

I'm really hoping that the external agency is just that...people with impeccable profiles preferably outside of cycling. Think ex-judges, or a multi-national law-enforcement agency mash-up, etc. The last thing this needs to be is composed of ex-cyclists, that will make this process laughable.

Vientomas
10-26-2012, 02:34 PM
This seems oddly appropriate: http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/10/news/italian-race-organizers-unveil-pinocchio-as-world-championships-mascot_262683

slidey
10-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Hahaha...that mascot's going to have to be a dynamically evolving one!

This seems oddly appropriate: http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/10/news/italian-race-organizers-unveil-pinocchio-as-world-championships-mascot_262683

Vientomas
10-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Paul Kimmage resonds to UCI "suspending" their case against him. It looks like Paul may go on the offensive.

"As announced by the UCI in a statement, the UCI Management Committee have today determined, among other things, that the action against Paul Kimmage has been “suspended” pending an investigation by an independent commission to be completed in the future.

Finally, while continuing strongly to maintain the merits of UCI’s case, the Committee decided to seek to suspend the UCI legal action against journalist Paul Kimmage, pending the findings of the independent Commission. UCI President Pat McQuaid and Honorary President Hein Verbruggen who are individual parties to the case will similarly seek to put their cases on hold.

While this is a welcome development and a small step toward the organization regaining credibility with the cycling public at large, it fails to acknowledge the damage the UCI has inflicted upon a journalist who chose simply to perform his job in pursuit of the truth.

The fact the UCI chose to engage in legal action against Kimmage in the first place demonstrates their wish to control and restrict dialogue in the sport. This is the type of action a sport governing body should not have undertaken in the first place, and by announcing a suspension rather than ending the suit it means that individuals within the UCI still do not have as their central theme the best interest of the sport at heart.

We feel the suspension was nothing more than an attempt to draw attention away from the legal action which has in recent weeks garnered headlines the world over, putting the UCI in an unfavorable light. Based upon their comments and activities the unfavorable light was justified.

Upon learning the news of today’s committee meeting results, Kimmage expressed via Twitter that he plans on “unleashing hell” upon the UCI. Our resolve in exposing the true nature of the actions by this organization against the entire sport has never been more firm. We will continue to operate the Kimmage Fund in order to prepare not only a possible defense against unjust actions by the UCI, but to explore with Paul his legal options to take the fight to the UCI.

We are disappointed with this half measure by the UCI in order to save face rather than do what is necessary to return the organization to a position of integrity. This lack of integrity in having the best interest of the sport at heart was never more clearly highlighted than when President Pat McQuaid referred to two of the witnesses in the Armstrong investigation as “scumbags” and indicated that it was necessary to persist in pursuing legal action against Paul Kimmage while claiming it had nothing to do with the USADA investigation.

We thank the UCI for uniting those who have been oppressed by their actions into an unified group, one which will bring to light the darkest reaches where those in Aigle wish us not to tread.

The Kimmage Fund will press on."

AgilisMerlin
10-26-2012, 03:03 PM
At least suspending the lawsuit is a good beginning.

this makes me very happy, all the luck Paul

Rueda Tropical
10-26-2012, 04:20 PM
They have been forced to retreat but they are fighting a rear guard action determined to prevent change. It's great they have had to cede ground but the pressure must be upped big time to force the commission to be independent and to have WADA and credible anti-doping advocates on the commission.

firerescuefin
10-26-2012, 04:28 PM
this makes me very happy, all the luck Paul

They're suspending the lawsuit because they were going to look like a horses ass. I was disappointed they aren't moving forward. You'll never hear about this lawsuit again ( from the UCI)

slidey
10-26-2012, 04:51 PM
The ever skeptical me expects UCI to squirm out of this entirely unscathed...but I hope they don't!

I guess I'm now waiting for the week of Nov 5th to see who comprises of the commission.

Llewellyn
10-26-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm relying on memory here and am paraphrasing a bit, but I'm reminded of a scene in that classic show about British politics where Sir Humphrey says "you should never have an independent enquiry without first knowing the answers you want"

The cynic in me expects that nothing substantial will come of this, but the optimist in me hopes that things might change.