PDA

View Full Version : Egg beaters questions...

L84dinr
10-14-2005, 08:52 AM
Are the eggbeaters uncomfortable pedals? Not much of a "platform", and looks like just an "axle" under the ball of ones foot would be a pain. Although they seem to be good selling pedals. I use Time for my road bikes, thinking of putting these on a 'cross bike.

Thanks for any info,
Raymond

coylifut
10-14-2005, 09:01 AM
if you are indeed racing cross, your lungs will be on fire, you won't feel your feet.

But seriously, I've never heard anyone complain about the lack of platform.

Birddog
10-14-2005, 09:10 AM
Think about it. If your soles are stiff enough, that "platform" issue doesn't mean squat. On the other hand, if they are somewhat flexible, then you might have a little problem.

Birddog

marle
10-14-2005, 09:20 AM
fwiw -- i have the candy pedals, eggbeaters with a platform and they're comfortable.

L84dinr
10-14-2005, 09:21 AM
Thats kinda what my thinking was... however if one is running in lugged Shoes with a little area for attaching spd cleats, then the soles should be a tad flexible, No? ANyway I imagine Senor Coy has the correct way of looking at it. I will probably be in pain, and not from pedal/shoe interaction.

I like the looks of the CB eggbeaters from the standpoint of mud shedding, not that I will see much mud here in Dry as a Bone FW/D Texas

Thanks, Raymond

CNY rider
10-14-2005, 09:38 AM
I have a set of stainless Candies on my commuter. I wear a pair of Shimano MTB shoes and am happy with the performance. There is no doubt the Look pedals, with real road shoes on my road bikes are more efficient in terms of not flexing. On the commuter, however the Candies are perfect.

There's a left turn I have to make on my way home from work at a busy T-intersection. There is a small steep lip as you come to the stop sign, so you are basically making a turn across busy traffic while trying to clip in and get started up a steep little rise. The Candy platform means that even if I don't clip in perfectly and immediately, I still have something to push on to get across the road. It beats laying in the middle like roadkill!

coylifut
10-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Thats kinda what my thinking was... however if one is running in lugged Shoes with a little area for attaching spd cleats, then the soles should be a tad flexible, No? ANyway I imagine Senor Coy has the correct way of looking at it. I will probably be in pain, and not from pedal/shoe interaction.

I like the looks of the CB eggbeaters from the standpoint of mud shedding, not that I will see much mud here in Dry as a Bone FW/D Texas

Thanks, Raymond

If cross is your goal, you want a little flex in your sole. I had some carbon soled shoe Shimanos and running in them was a pain. I now use the Sidi Dominator and it has just the right amount of flex for me. I have never had one of my cross buddies tell me that the egg beaters were uncomfortable. the only complaint I've ever heard was that they can be a little hard to find when coming off a barrier, but that wasn't by anyone too experienced. I use the older ATACs. None of these pedals are ever hard to get out of. However, when they are new, because the springs are tight, getting back into them can be problematic when there's lots of mud.

Satellite
10-14-2005, 10:52 AM
L84dinr,

The egg-beaters support comes from the cleat. The cleat has brass pedestals that contact the axel just pass the spring. The egg-beaters shed mud very well.

I have tried many Mountain pedals and none work better than Shimano's 959's. I use to be dead set on Time; not after trying the 959's; I even use 959's on my road bike.

Best Regards,

Satellite

L84dinr
10-14-2005, 12:16 PM
Satellite, cool info re: the 959's The 959s were at the top of the list... But I keep looking at the Eggbeaters. Just something different.

thanks again for the info, youse guys are very helpful.

Raymond

coylifut
10-14-2005, 01:13 PM
L84dinr,

The egg-beaters support comes from the cleat. The cleat has brass pedestals that contact the axel just pass the spring. The egg-beaters shed mud very well.

I have tried many Mountain pedals and none work better than Shimano's 959's. I use to be dead set on Time; not after trying the 959's; I even use 959's on my road bike.

Best Regards,

Satellite

how are the 959s when clicking back in when it's super duper muddy (especially sticky mud)????

sam.g
10-14-2005, 01:25 PM
Another second for 959's. I use these pedals on both of my road bikes and never have clip-in or release problems nor have I ever suffered from hot spots. Not falling on my keester when off the bike is a high priority for me.

Favorite mtn shoes are the Sidi Dominator Mega and the Shimano 201(?), both have stiff soles.

Sam in Cincy

Satellite
10-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Coylifut,

All pedals are tough in, "super duper muddy (especially sticky mud)????" but 959's are not much if any tougher.

The 959's was Shimano's answer to the mud shedding propaganda generated by the Time Corporation and subsequently Crank Brothers. All three shed mud well if I had to rate them solely on mud shed I would pick Crank Brothers, Time then Shimano. The difference in mud shedding is so negligible and Shimano is superior in so many other aspects I even bought a spare set of 959’s (I found at a rock bottom price I couldn’t pass up).

I don’t know how large your local bike shop is; but if you can; try all three pedals and see, which you like. The Colorado Cyclist is just down the street from me and they have lots of pedals. I would say 9/10 would choose the 959’s in a side-by-side comparison.

FYI: I use the SIDI Dragon shoe also the best I have found.

Best Regards,

Satellite

PBWrench
10-14-2005, 08:31 PM
I have egg-beaters (standard - not Candy) on my mountain rig and use them on my road bikes on rollers in the winter. Easy in/out. No fuss, no muss. Great pedals!

jerk
10-14-2005, 09:58 PM
the jerk has been using these really painful high-top green diadora mountain bike shoes with time atacs for cross....they work fine. the jerk can't bunny-hop for shi'ite, but he's figured out he can get off his bike really, really fast. it's the getting back on thing that's taking some time.....

nonetheless, two weeks tomorrow, saturday at gloucester e-richie is going to get his arse handed to him...because the jerk has been eating his vitamins and benching his weight...and all that crucial youth/hulk hogan stuff.

washed up beats "artiste" anytime.

jerk

Kane
10-15-2005, 01:05 AM
I've heard that the 'naked' egg beaters have caused many bleeder when bozo's like me miss or get caught in transition to clipping into the pedal. The 'Candy' model is the one with a built in platform and it looks more like a Time ATAC. I would use one of those for cross.

Cheers,

Kane