PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a bike on a puddle jumper?

MattTuck
10-26-2012, 07:24 AM
Curious if anyone knows if you can fly with a bike (a non coupled bike, in a shipping type box) on a regional flight? (think something like a turbo prop or small embraer type jet)

Thanks.

holliscx
10-26-2012, 07:32 AM
I flew with 2 bikes (non-coupled, boxes) on a Beechcraft turboprop from Manchester, NH to Newark so I know small jets like the Embraer RJ / ERJs won't be a problem either.

54ny77
10-26-2012, 07:32 AM
Call the airline and tell them what you want to do. Each plane has a specific dimension for allowing oversized cargo. A small plane i was on recently had room for only 2 big boxes/oversized luggage. I got to the airport at least 3 hours before my flight and checked it in, didn't want to roll the dice when I got there and hear that there was no room.

djg
10-26-2012, 07:40 AM
Just call 'em and ask for guidelines. A smaller craft might well be physically able to accommodate a case or box in baggage, but that doesn't tell you what the policy is, either for what you can bring or what they'll charge you. It could be the normal policy of the parent airline, but nobody wants a surprise an hour before the flight.

If you get stuck, there's always fedex -- you can ship to a friend, a hotel, or even in many cases a fedex place (some will hold for pickup -- you just have to check).

MattTuck
10-26-2012, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the wisdom. Good to know. Now I need to pick a place to take my bike for a weekend that I can get to on a turbo prop! ;)

But it's good to know that I don't need to limit my travel ideas to big airports.

holliscx
10-26-2012, 07:44 AM
Book the painfully early flight too - you will get a lot less flack (theoretically) at 5 am; have more room; less crowds; land before weather delays etc.

rice rocket
10-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Or call the bike shop at your destination in advance and tell them you're shipping a bike via FedEx. Gotta be cheaper than the $175 oversized baggage fee.

torquer
10-26-2012, 09:50 AM
This was four years ago, but my last experience flying with a bike included a leg between Santa Barbara and LAX on a turboprop which worked out great. No oversize baggage charge!
I had FedExed the bike the other direction, so I was sure to have it waiting for me, but I bet I wouldn't have been treated so nicely checking in a bike at JFK.

54ny77
10-26-2012, 10:04 AM
i've gone thru jfk and laguardia several times this year with bike, and it's no picnic.

like someone else said, book the crack of ass dawn flight and it'll be better/more manageable.

... but I bet I wouldn't have been treated so nicely checking in a bike at JFK.

batman1425
10-26-2012, 10:12 AM
I flew in a Cherokee 6 with my bike several years back. Fit great with the front wheel off.

VA-Scooter
10-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Try that Sea-Sucker roof rack. It stayed on top of a race car.

Bruce K
10-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Batman

How was the landing with no front wheel?

BK

Sorry - I just had to :rolleyes:

tannhauser
10-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Brompton.