PDA

View Full Version : Cyclo-cross tire guide: 2012 season

William
10-26-2012, 06:29 AM
I don't think this has been posted yet....

Cyclo-cross tire guide: 2012 season

Tubular, tubeless and clincher offerings from 10 brands

This article originally published on BikeRadar

When it comes to cyclo-cross, your tires are the most important component of the entire bicycle. Traction, suspension and overall handling confidence come from the relatively narrow patch of rubber and casing. So which tire should you choose?

Here we look at the latest offerings from 10 tire brands, and cyclo-cross tire expert Stu Thorne of Cyclocrossworld.com shares his advice on what you should do, including the most important facet of your set-up: tire pressure.

First, you have two categories of tires. Clinchers allow for relatively inexpensive flat repairs as they use tubes, but tubulars provide a much more supple ride as the glued-on tires can be run at very low pressure. Each requires its own type of wheel, and virtually all cyclo-cross bikes are sold with clinchers.

A select few companies also offer tubeless cyclo-cross tires, where a tire similar to a clincher is used with sealant. More on that below.

Next, you have tread pattern choices. Most tire brands offer variations on three types of treads: fast, all-condition, and mud. While some hardcore enthusiasts will swear you need a set of each to match the given conditions – not to mention wheelsets to mount them on – some riders just go with one. In this instance, Thorne recommends that you go with a tire that performs well in the mud.

"There are many tires that work well in the dry, but when you have those two or three races in the mud, some of those [dry-condition] tires are absolutely useless," Thorne said. If you can only pick one, he recommends something like the Dugast Rhino, which provides traction in the mud and is still quite raceable in other conditions.

What follows is a brand-by-brand breakdown of new and current tires. Jump to the bottom to read Thorne's advice on the crucial set-up of your tire pressure......

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/cyclo-cross-tire-guide-2012-season

William

djg
10-26-2012, 07:13 AM
Wonder why the left Challenge out (except to mention, in the Dugast section, that it's one of the two most popular options after Dugast).

sailorboy
10-26-2012, 07:13 AM
I was hoping for a little more in-depth comparisons when I opened that link a week or so ago. Not to mention they didn't even talk about challenge which offers probably more variety than most others in terms of tubular and clincher choices.

I've been running challenge fango up front and grifo in back (tubulars) in all conditions this year with great results.

I was hoping there would be some tips in there about tire choices for real-world situations like wet grass, mixed conditions where some areas are wet and sticky, some are dry.

Anyone else have some combinations that have worked particularly well for you?

gavingould
10-26-2012, 10:02 AM
i used to run Challenge Grifo on one wheelset and Grifo XS filetreads on another wheelset. all tubular...
it had to be pretty dry for me to run the filetreads. though i did one rainy race early this year with them as i'd already sold the other wheels/tires, and it worked out pretty decent with lower than normal pressure.

Clement PDX are pretty well regarded as the go-to tire around here these days. if you only have one tubular wheelset or just don't want to change tires, i think they're pretty great in all conditions.