PDA

View Full Version : Aldag takes on new role

William
10-26-2012, 06:26 AM
Aldag takes on new role at Omega Pharma-QuickStep

Former HTC manager becomes sports and development manager

Next year won’t be the first that Rolf Aldag has worked inside the Omega Pharma-QuickStep team. As technical advisor throughout 2012, Aldag was, among other things, a key figure in parts of Tom Boonen’s build-up to the Classics this spring. It’s a sign of how well that relationship worked that both sides have come back for more.

From an outsider’s point of view, one of the most interesting angles Aldag mentions when discussing his job are the ‘mind games’ that form part of the never-ending technological battles between the different top cycling teams. For example, the cobbled Classics are one of the most important for Omega Pharma and are often seen as the most demanding for bike technology but Aldag says “it’s not just about the equipment, but the psychology behind it, too.”

“If you looked at what we tried to do with Boonen last winter, it’s one thing to put a bike in front of him and say ‘this is your Roubaix bike’. What we have done is include him in the research program. So we had one day with Specialized and SRAM where we tested on the cobbles, on real data with SRMs, going up and down it for about five hours.”.....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/aldag-takes-on-new-role-at-omega-pharma-quickstep

Rolf has been juiced in the past. Let's hope he's working to clean things up....though past and and recent history isn't leaving me with a confident feeling.

William

wasfast
10-26-2012, 11:37 AM
I really enjoyed Rolf and Eric Zabel's friendship in the Hell on Wheels video.

That said, I was a bit puzzled yesterday when the headlines of Rolf changing team roles in contrast to Bobby Julich's admission. Rolf, Eric and Bjarne all admitted at the same time a couple years ago. Seems Rolf's exit would be the same as Bobby's but guess not.

The circus of pro cycling has gotten very strange in a short period of time. We can only hope the UCI gets modified (good luck).