PDA

View Full Version : Doping in women's pro peloton?

BumbleBeeDave
10-26-2012, 06:01 AM
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/10/analysis/cranmer-and-scrymgeour-urge-womens-cycling-to-differentiate-itself_262217

While this story isn't directly about that, the issue comes up in the comments and I thought it's interesting. In any event, it seems from the story as if the bad effects of all of this will definitely affect the women's side for the worse.

I'm pretty sure Longo dopes, and other names come to mind . . . Genvieve Jeanson was thrown out for doping, and I seem to remember Amber Neben got busted for something several years ago. Others? . . .

Is doping as prevalent with the women as with the men?

If not, then why?

If it's not, is this a case where the (pretty obvious, at least to me) discrimination against the women in the form of lower salaries and prize money a deterrent because it reduces the financial ability to dope?

BBD

ultraman6970
10-26-2012, 06:50 AM
The picture of the chick with beard comes to mind right now :)

gdw
10-26-2012, 09:24 AM
:eek::eek::eek:

Joachim
10-26-2012, 09:28 AM
:eek::eek::eek:

That looks like my dad a few years ago.

wallymann
10-26-2012, 09:31 AM
la femme de la eddy merckx in the early '00s.

petite in the flesh she rode strong like a man, and was doped-to-the-hilt like a man too!

http://www.dewielersite.net/db2/wielersite/beeldbank2012/1345875024_11913.jpg

sc53
10-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Uncanny how much she looks like the young Paul McCartney. She could have a career as an impersonator!

fiamme red
10-26-2012, 10:16 AM
If it's not, is this a case where the (pretty obvious, at least to me) discrimination against the women in the form of lower salaries and prize money a deterrent because it reduces the financial ability to dope?Yes, exactly. The more money in the sport, the greater the incentive and wherewithal to dope. There's very little money in woman's pro cycling.

Another reason is that many professional women racers have college degrees to fall back on, so they have the luxury of backing out of the sport if they have moral qualms. Most of them would be making more money if they got a non-cycling job.

For most European professional male racers, on the other hand, the choice is between making a living by racing or else working in a factory, on a farm, in the mines, etc.

RFC
10-26-2012, 10:26 AM
There is no reason that doping in women's cycling should be any different than women's track, which has a "rich" doping history. Oh, and please don't forget the 1970's East German female shot putters.

fiamme red
10-26-2012, 10:47 AM
There is no reason that doping in women's cycling should be any different than women's track, which has a "rich" doping history. Oh, and please don't forget the 1970's East German female shot putters.There's a lot more money in women's track than in women's cycling. Marion Jones made millions of dollars from endorsements.

As for the East German women, that was state-sponsored doping.

RFC
10-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Frankly, I don't think money is the primary motivator in the use of performance enhancing drugs. We are talking about highly motivated and driven international quality athletes. They have only one goal -- to be THE best. Hell, steroids are prevalent in high school sports and lower level club and amateur sports.

For every Jones, there are 10,000 other quality athletes who, at the end of their competitive years, go back to work at the "lumberyard." The money just let's those few buy better designer drugs.

EDIT

This is a very interesting topic and a good discussion. I want to clarify my comments above. I was referring to high quality athletes in general -- men and women. I agree with the poster above who made several cultural and biological arguments about why women athletes would be less likely to dope. But, for some or many, that motivation still exists.