PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Della Santa framesets?

bfd
10-14-2005, 12:30 AM
Is it the builder? Roland Della Santa has build for Greg Lemond and does excellent work. Yet, his frames don't seem to sell. For example, there was an excellent 58cm posted here and on ebay, yet it couldn't sell for $1,000:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Della-Santa-56cm-Road-Bike-Frame-and-Fork-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ7186240905QQcategoryZ98084QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Similarly, if you fit a 61cm, there's an excellent frameset on Craigslist that should easily sell for the asking price of $550:

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/bik/104005672.html

I know Richard Sachs, Rivendell, and others sell for alot more. What's up with Roland Della Santa frames?

vaxn8r
10-14-2005, 01:38 AM
I just think it's all about timing. I was very interested in one of those but had just bought something else.

Della Santa builds a great bike.

BigDaddySmooth
10-14-2005, 10:30 AM
1) DS framesets, new (prior to this year) cost $1350. He now charges $1500. Given depreciation, you would expect his used frames to sell for 50-75% of new. A RS new, is close to $3K. So, RS used frames often times cost more the a new DS.

2) DS did not capitalize on his linkage w/Lemond. Even if he did, Lemond is in some ways ancient history. I'm a Lemond fan but nowadays it's all Lnace-Lance-Lance. DS was also very late in the internet game and I think he likes the low profile.

I have a DS and absolutely love it. I spoke many times w/Roland and one of the things I asked him was why he didn't use Joe Bell as his painter. He said his price would have to go up $400. I think he likes to build but isn't too concerned about the bottom line. If you want a frame from him, you'll get one in about 2 months. Unless it's summer in Reno, then you may have to wait a little longer. He doesn't like to torch when it is too hot outside. ;)

PeterW
10-14-2005, 10:43 AM
I have a DS road bike and love it! Classic, clean lines and lugs. Zero Uno, so an up-to-date steel feel. I agree with Big Daddy (and we've PM'd before) that his bikes are among the best bargains out there.

As to paint. Mine is perfect. Single color. Year and 1/2 of near daily riding and looks as good as new.

Just make sure you get DS blue.

castafly
10-14-2005, 10:59 AM
I, too, was surprised that the frame didn't sell for my asking price of $1,000 (originally I was asking $1,295). I think it was just timing (late in the season to be buying/building a bike). I did sell the frame to a member of the Serotta Forum - in fact, he should receive it today. I'm glad it's going to a good home! As to why Roland's frames don't sell for more? I really don't know. If you compare his frames with other custom builders in lugged steel, Roland's are a bargain. I just don't think Roland likes to beat his own drum too much - he's just kind of low-keyed and pretty humble. I think if he wanted to, he could build fewer frames per year, thereby creating more demand and raising his prices. I don't think that's something he would ever consider. There's not a nicer, more fun guy to talk to out there.

Big Dan
10-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Casta, your RS frame was a little big for me. Nice frame anyways..

:p