PDA

View Full Version : The Flying Gate

William
10-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Very interesting and different.:cool:

William

W & R Baines - builders of the famous Flying Gate
Derek Kitchener and Peter Underwood

Derek's love affair with Baines started in 1946 with an all chrome VS 37.

The history of Baines is rather thin as the frame book was thrown away in the move from Eccleshill. According to Dave Murgatryde who knew the brothers, the frame numbers did not always run in sequence.

Many wartime frames were lugless as the special lugs were not available. During 1940-1945 Baines were officially on war work but some frames were built and came out of the backdoor. In Derek's opinion the best frame was the VS 37 which had a 37.5 wheelbas. He has two of these: a beautiful 1937 track frame and a nice postwar version.

The International TT has a longer wheelbase to accomodate a rear changer. The VS38 was unusual in having the gate configuration but with only one set of seatstays and was only made for a short time.

The gate design first appeared in Cycling in 1936 and proved popular. The lugs were neat but not flashy. The longer wheelbase TT model appeared around 1937 when Jack Fancourt won the Isle of Man mass start race.

A pre-war Baines catalogue lists the V38 as a 'road' and 'TT' model and the VS37 (With additional light struts or stays) as a 'road' or 'track' model. Both of these frames gave an ultra short-wheelbase. It also listed the following conventional frames: WRB Path-Track model (£6 15s 0d); WRB Continental Championship model (£6 7s 6d); WRB Valkenburg Continental (£5 10s 0d); 'Eccolite' (£5 5s 0d) and the WRB Westfield (£4 19s 6d).

Post-war the only model available was designated the Whirlwind, which offered a choice of wheelbase, and the production of which ceased in 1952. In 1979 the rights to produce this frame were bought by Trevor Jarvis who produced it as the Trevor Jarvis Flying Gate. Trevor produced brazed frames which were then fitted with ornamental bi-laminated lugs.

Trevor has now become the Marque Enthusiast for the Veteran-Cycle Club and is in the process of updating the Baines register and would be pleased to hear from anyone who has a W.R.Baines frame or bike including those who may know they are already on the register to contact him, or if you know of someone who has Baines would you please let him know or ask them to contact him. The more information I have is useful in putting this register together.

Trevor tells us :
"The W.R.Baines record books unfortunately were destroyed when the company closed and it is proving difficult to establish a good comprehensive register. Frame numbers and any bills of sale or an approximate date for when the frame was purchased through family connections, etc. would also be most helpful.

As I am now passed the age of 75 it is time to think about the continued build of the “Flying Gate” hence a young frame builder, Jeremy Cartwright, has joined the company to take on the building of the frames and to see that the company (T.J.Cycles) progresses. I will still continue to build and be involved for as long as it is practical......

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/baines.html
also...
http://www.tjcycles.co.uk/

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb8314ZiWy1qelhsho1_1280.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3216/2935350923_0be0571f77.jpg

maxdog
10-25-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm not one to generally throw my aesthetic around (negatively), but that is 'butt fugly'.

William
10-25-2012, 07:37 PM
From one of the links above....

Q. Is it more responsive?
A. Certainly - everyone who has bought one of my frames agrees on this point
and the impressive results and letters I receive confirm this.

Q. Why is that?
A. Because I use a vertical tube from the bottom bracket. This brings the back wheel closer
to the bottom bracket, shortens the drive and hence makes it more positive and responsive.
A vertical tube will take the sideward thrust from the cranks better than a sloping seat tube.

Q. Any more advantages?
A. Yes the small diameter struts from the rear drop-outs to the vertical tube on the top tube hold it
FIRM and eliminate the whip between the head and seat when carrying heavy loads, as tourists do.
You can make the top tube any length without altering the geometry of the frame,
from the very short to long to suit all cyclists. It's a real advantage on tandems.

Q. What about the extra weight of those struts?
A. There is very little extra weight as the vertical tube is a smaller diameter than a standard seat tube
and this almost offsets the extra struts, but the increased efficiency due to the lack of whip
and its positive drive more than offsets this many times over.

Q. How did it get the name?
A. in 1936 it became an instant success with everyone who used one, improving the times;
in fact they were 'flying' hence the nickname. The word 'gate' may well have been adopted
because it opened up a new concept on design at that time.
Please contact us if you have any further questions about this design,

Looks aside, supposedly a very successful race design. Any one know anything about these?

William

jamesutiopia
10-31-2012, 07:03 AM
I spent an hour and a half working through the starting corral at PBP last year with an English guy riding one of these. It was a reproduction-- he had made the lugs and frame himself (quite nicely finished), it was fixed, and the chain was entirely half links.

I think the theory was that this design shortened the wheelbase, though I am not sure that history has validated the advantage of this design.

witcombusa
10-31-2012, 12:47 PM
My understanding is that in the UK, in order to differenciate themsevles from other builders, some rather "unique" designs came about. Flying Gate, Curly Hetchins, etc.

The all claimed it was for sound engineering reasons but in the end they just wanted to be instantly recognised....."brand recognition"

reminds me of the AMC Pacer :banana:

rwsaunders
10-31-2012, 03:14 PM
Reminds me of Curly when the Stooges were plumbers...:cool:

palincss
10-31-2012, 03:49 PM
The Classic Rendezvous site has a page about the Flying Gate:
http://classicrendezvous.com/British_isles/Baines.htm