PDA

View Full Version : Best cables for vintage build?

CDollarsign
10-25-2012, 10:30 AM
I'm looking for new cables for a first gen campy athena 7 speed group. What options do I have with modern cables, especially those that run through the frame. Also, modern kits come with cables and housings for STI type shifters. What would I need for downtube shifters?

Sorry, I am a novice...

oldpotatoe
10-25-2012, 11:57 AM
I'm looking for new cables for a first gen campy athena 7 speed group. What options do I have with modern cables, especially those that run through the frame. Also, modern kits come with cables and housings for STI type shifters. What would I need for downtube shifters?

Sorry, I am a novice...

Get some Jagwire slick stainless inner wire and 5mm housing, metal ferrules.

Get some Campag specific, Jagwire der inner wires, smaller hole in DT shifter.

spacemen3
10-25-2012, 11:57 AM
You might want to try Campy derailleur cables because the cylindrical ends on Shimano cable might be slightly too large to slip into the catch on Campy downtube shifters. For internal routing, you can run Nokon cable liner over your cables. That way you can change cable without having to fish line through the frame again.

Ralph
10-25-2012, 03:20 PM
For the down tube shifters......just some standard Campy shift cables (wires). You don't need shifter housing. Any Campy brake cables and housing will work. Go to E Bay, and you will see what i mean.

On shift cables....Campy ends are smaller than Shimano....that's why everyone recommends campy or equivalent shift cables (wires).

New Campy shifter housing went to 4 MM VS 5 MM for housing for 2009 and up shifters. But with down tubes, you don't need housing. So you can't screw it up. All you need is some Campy (or equivalent) shifter wires and a Campy brake cable set.

oldpotatoe
10-25-2012, 04:04 PM
For the down tube shifters......just some standard Campy shift cables (wires). You don't need shifter housing. Any Campy brake cables and housing will work. Go to E Bay, and you will see what i mean.

On shift cables....Campy ends are smaller than Shimano....that's why everyone recommends campy or equivalent shift cables (wires).

New Campy shifter housing went to 4 MM VS 5 MM for housing for 2009 and up shifters. But with down tubes, you don't need housing. So you can't screw it up. All you need is some Campy (or equivalent) shifter wires and a Campy brake cable set.

5mm der housing instead of brake housing at the rear derailleur does make a difference on even 7s Campagnolo index systems, probably more.

Frankwurst
10-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Listen to the Old Spud. If you've ever had the pleasure of being in his shop you'll realize he knows vintage campy and alot more. Just my 2 cents worth.:beer:

Ralph
10-25-2012, 05:10 PM
5mm der housing instead of brake housing at the rear derailleur does make a difference on even 7s Campagnolo index systems, probably more.

I forgot about the short piece at derailleur. Like Old Potatoe says.....I also use 5 MM derailleir housing at derailleur, even for both my newer shifters that came with 4 MM shifter housing. As long as the rear deraillur and frame will accept the ferule from the 5 MM housing. The larger housing just seems to shift better.