PDA

View Full Version : So.. Hurricane Sandy...

Nooch
10-25-2012, 06:41 AM
Today's models are showing a direct hit on Cape May, NJ...

Everyone in New Jersey and North getting ready? Could be an interesting Cyclocross weekend!

54ny77
10-25-2012, 06:42 AM
it snowed up here in northeast this time last year.

weird.

so much for global warming, al.

AngryScientist
10-25-2012, 06:57 AM
This is bad for me. very bad.

i have an environmental engineering project concerning stormwater that is going to become an emergency if the storm hits is that badly...

Nooch
10-25-2012, 08:19 AM
hrm...

http://m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/news/hybrid-sandy-winter-storm-threatens-east-coast-064040714.html?orig_host_hdr=news.yahoo.com&.intl=US&.lang=en-US

MattTuck
10-25-2012, 08:22 AM
The lesson here is to get out and ride today, tomorrow and this weekend, because the number of good riding days left this year is dwindling.

Nooch
10-25-2012, 08:27 AM
The lesson here is to get out and ride today, tomorrow and this weekend, because the number of good riding days left this year is dwindling.

agreed!

Ralph
10-25-2012, 08:46 AM
it snowed up here in northeast this time last year.

weird.

so much for global warming, al.

That's one of the signs of climate change. Irratic weather.

roydyates
10-25-2012, 04:35 PM
That's one of the signs of climate change. Irratic weather.
irratic should be nominated as word of the year.

But should the definition be irrationally erratic or erratically irrational? I favor the former.

I think irratic is even better than its counterpart "errational," which could be rationally interpreted as "in error due to irrationality."

jr59
10-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Just be careful guys!

I really like to laugh and disagree with you guys, so by all means, please be careful!

Fixed
10-25-2012, 05:07 PM
Gee what is the water temp up there now ,don't hurricanes need warm water ?
Cheers
I bet you will see a lot of happy surfers

Kevan
10-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Now maybe some of you will start believing in what I said this guy is capable of.

BumbleBeeDave
10-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Now maybe some of you will start believing in what I said this guy is capable of.

You beat me to it! :crap: :eek: :p

BBD

merlincustom1
10-25-2012, 09:16 PM
It's the Butterfly Effect. Julich confesses, and a big hurricane ensues.

harryblack
10-25-2012, 09:37 PM
SANDY'S CRYING AGAIN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6kjTHPC3OA

Gee what is the water temp up there now ,don't hurricanes need warm water ?
Cheers
I bet you will see a lot of happy surfers

Bob Loblaw
10-26-2012, 01:14 PM
I knew a girl named Sandy when I was in grammar school. She was cool.

At least I got out of yard work this weekend. Maybe Sandy will do it for me!

BL

BumbleBeeDave
10-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Nice tomorrow and Sunday. Get another 80-100 miles.

Gigantic huge-ass hurricane Monday and Tuesday coinciding with my rest days. Back to riding Wednesday evening . . .

That's cool. You may proceed, Mother Nature . . . :D

BBD

maxdog
10-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Nice tomorrow and Sunday. Get another 80-100 miles.

Gigantic huge-ass hurricane Monday and Tuesday coinciding with my rest days. Back to riding Wednesday evening . . .

That's cool. You may proceed, Mother Nature . . . :D

BBD

Are you sure Dave? My forecast says Sunday washout.

Tom
10-26-2012, 02:11 PM
What's wrong with riding in the rain?

rbtmcardle
10-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Only Sandy i know..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ314hldal4

parris
10-26-2012, 02:45 PM
We were talking about this at length today. My region of NY got hammered with 2 major floods in the last several years. There are people and businesses that are still rebuilding from last years disaster. Now it appears that it may happen yet again. The thing is that after the first major flood in 06 many agencies stated that it was a 100 year flood... Last years flood proved to be worse than the first. Several of my coworkers who have been affected are already starting to move things to 2nd floors. Very sketchy stuff that's for sure.

mister
10-26-2012, 03:45 PM
bros let me wiki global warming for you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

things to notice.

Global warming is the rise in the average temperature of Earth's atmosphere and oceans since the late 19th century and its projected continuation. Since the early 20th century, Earth's mean surface temperature has increased by about 0.8 °C (1.4 °F), with about two-thirds of the increase occurring since 1980.

Other likely effects of the warming include a more frequent occurrence of extreme-weather events including heat waves, droughts and heavy rainfall, ocean acidification and species extinctions due to shifting temperature regimes. Effects significant to humans include the threat to food security from decreasing crop yields[13] and the loss of habitat from inundation.

jr59
10-26-2012, 03:50 PM
We were talking about this at length today. My region of NY got hammered with 2 major floods in the last several years. There are people and businesses that are still rebuilding from last years disaster. Now it appears that it may happen yet again. The thing is that after the first major flood in 06 many agencies stated that it was a 100 year flood... Last years flood proved to be worse than the first. Several of my coworkers who have been affected are already starting to move things to 2nd floors. Very sketchy stuff that's for sure.

I'll be more than glad to trade with you!

If you live anywhere near the coastline, you can expect big storms!

Please be careful you guys. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it very well could really be trouble! PLEASE stay safe!

rbtmcardle
10-26-2012, 03:52 PM
I am certain there is global warming, just not certain it isnt a natural cycle.. when I was in grade school in the early 70s.. my books and teachers were preparing us for the coming ice age.. yes, ice age.. we have only been keeping detailed records since what the mid 1800s? (a guess) I am all for being wise and smart with resources and waste etc but too many times "science" takes a very small sample group and extrapolates all kinds of things good and bad.

things to notice.

Global warming is the rise in the average temperature of Earth's atmosphere and oceans since the late 19th century and its projected continuation. Since the early 20th century, Earth's mean surface temperature has increased by about 0.8 °C (1.4 °F), with about two-thirds of the increase occurring since 1980.

Other likely effects of the warming include a more frequent occurrence of extreme-weather events including heat waves, droughts and heavy rainfall, ocean acidification and species extinctions due to shifting temperature regimes. Effects significant to humans include the threat to food security from decreasing crop yields[13] and the loss of habitat from inundation.

Ken Robb
10-26-2012, 07:55 PM

Are you suggesting a blowhard?:banana:

maxdog
10-26-2012, 09:59 PM

things to notice.

Global warming, next you'll be claiming cigarettes are linked to cancer.

maxdog
10-26-2012, 10:13 PM

I was just discussing this tonight. Schoharie, Middleburgh, Bear Mt .... residents must be very concerned. All I have to worry about, with regards to precipitation, is driveway washout and my bridge over the creek (this would be a bit of a disaster) which is my driveways access to the road. Very high winds, on the other hand, is another story. I'm counting on Murphy's Law. With all the hype, it will hopefully turn out to be a new millennium event.

Sandy
10-27-2012, 10:51 AM
I accept no responsibility for the storm. Unfortunately, it does appear as if it will be a devastating storm for the Northeast- size, duration, wind, rain.

Sandy

Karin Kirk
10-27-2012, 10:53 AM
I am certain there is global warming, just not certain it isnt a natural cycle.. when I was in grade school in the early 70s.. my books and teachers were preparing us for the coming ice age.. yes, ice age.. we have only been keeping detailed records since what the mid 1800s? (a guess) I am all for being wise and smart with resources and waste etc but too many times "science" takes a very small sample group and extrapolates all kinds of things good and bad.

This isn't "science," it's science.
Small sample size can be a problem in scientific research. Yet it is not the issue here. The body of research behind climate science is incredibly deep. This problem has been studied intensively, for decades, by thousands of scientists of all stripes, and from many different perspectives. Detailed records go back 850,000 years. Certainly no issue of small sample size that's for sure!

The old "we used to think an ice age was coming so let's throw out all of climate science" has been debunked time and time again.

That said, it is uncomfortable and unpopular to shift one's world view to consider the possibility that human's have changed the climate. I don't blame you on that. I'm not happy with the conclusions either, however I do accept the science behind it.

rbtmcardle
10-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Karin
I am not a scientist, nor have i really looked closely at information, i think that often times things are sensationalized and lose their effectiveness. I am just not convinced that there isn't more at play than our involvement.

I wouldn't mind taking a much more stringent approach to environmental controls/regulations provided it was unilaterally enacted and followed. I dont find it real genuine to hear about Al Gore (insert many names here) promoting a conservation approach and yet live in some giant home with huge demands on resources. (admittedly this is ancient history) I do commute by bike and layer up at home to conserve as much as I can.

I wasn't questioning the science, just using "science" as a broad term as often it seems the news outlets and special interest groups add their own agenda rather than just report the news.

Thanks for your straightforward reply.

bob

This isn't "science," it's science.
Small sample size can be a problem in scientific research. Yet it is not the issue here. The body of research behind climate science is incredibly deep. This problem has been studied intensively, for decades, by thousands of scientists of all stripes, and from many different perspectives. Detailed records go back 850,000 years. Certainly no issue of small sample size that's for sure!

The old "we used to think an ice age was coming so let's throw out all of climate science" has been debunked time and time again.

That said, it is uncomfortable and unpopular to shift one's world view to consider the possibility that human's have changed the climate. I don't blame you on that. I'm not happy with the conclusions either, however I do accept the science behind it.

Karin Kirk
10-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Karin
I am not a scientist, nor have i really looked closely at information, i think that often times things are sensationalized and lose their effectiveness. I am just not convinced that there isn't more at play than our involvement.

I wouldn't mind taking a much more stringent approach to environmental controls/regulations provided it was unilaterally enacted and followed. I dont find it real genuine to hear about Al Gore (insert many names here) promoting a conservation approach and yet live in some giant home with huge demands on resources. (admittedly this is ancient history) I do commute by bike and layer up at home to conserve as much as I can.

I wasn't questioning the science, just using "science" as a broad term as often it seems the news outlets and special interest groups add their own agenda rather than just report the news.

Thanks for your straightforward reply.

bob

Bob, I agree on all counts! (phew! Not looking for a fight :))
This is one of the most complex issues of our time, and many parties are guilty of manipulating the situation for their gain. However the science is truly amazing here. We have learned so much about the earth and the climate system; the science is robust and is getting better all the time.

You are quite right that there is more at play than our involvement. The climate system is complex, and involves interactions with life on earth at many levels. So there is, indeed, lots going on. But the human factor is an important part of that. Our role should not be glossed over or dismissed, even if doing so raises unattractive implications.

That said, I sure hope this storm does not create a big disaster for folks. Take care all!

rbtmcardle
10-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Karin
Agreed, life is way to short for fights over semantics!

It seems based on the most recent models the center of the storm is going to make landfall right at our shore location. We don't often get direct hits from hurricanes in south jersey, last actual landfall was in 1944 I believe.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Back to storm prep!

bob

Bob, I agree on all counts! (phew! Not looking for a fight :))
This is one of the most complex issues of our time, and many parties are guilty of manipulating the situation for their gain. However the science is truly amazing here. We have learned so much about the earth and the climate system; the science is robust and is getting better all the time.

You are quite right that there is more at play than our involvement. The climate system is complex, and involves interactions with life on earth at many levels. So there is, indeed, lots going on. But the human factor is an important part of that. Our role should not be glossed over or dismissed, even if doing so raises unattractive implications.

That said, I sure hope this storm does not create a big disaster for folks. Take care all!