PDA

View Full Version : what's the most common bike in your peloton?? warning serotta content

spiderman
10-24-2012, 02:55 PM
this one is for the rusty lion!

not sure anyone keeps track of this...but i get around
and have a pretty good handle on our local market share.
our best group ride was the summer solstice ride.
here's a breakdown of the bikes
3 serottas
2 specialized
1 orbea
1 independent fabrication
1 scattante
1 speedvagen (that's me in the forum kit)

...a shot of a few nice bikes from our welcome to autumn ride
4 serottas (csi, fierte, crl, ciii )
1 guru
1 sv

just this week there was a group of seven of us out for a nice ride...
5 serottas (cIII, csi, fierte, crl and ottrott) there's a csi in the garage owned by the guy we're visiting!
1 guru
1 kirk (terraplane with delta brakes)

ok...so i'm just trying to get a little love from our new friend, bill...
what's wrong with that?!?

malcolm
10-24-2012, 03:00 PM
I want to see the Kirk with the deltas. I think I can just barely make it out in the last photo

texbike
10-24-2012, 03:03 PM
On our weekly group rides, there are usually 2-3 Serottas with a couple of other riders on something else instead of the Serottas that they own. If everyone in the group brought out their Serottas at once, we would have 5 and a Serotta-built Ti Schwinn.

Texbike

jr59
10-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Wow, You really know a lot of Dentist! :banana::banana:

spiderman
10-24-2012, 03:24 PM
I want to see the Kirk with the deltas. I think I can just barely make it out in the last photo

i was pretty happy with the form and function this time around.
they seem to work much better leaving a nice tail and turning it up
inside the cover...

the deltas were a gift from clydesdale that i'm finally using...
the kirk was a gift from me, to me, love me!

maxdog
10-24-2012, 03:25 PM
Yeah, Serotta still seems to have a decent share of that market. In another 15 or 20 years they can go into the motorized chair/wheel chair business.

nightfend
10-24-2012, 03:37 PM
With the groups I hang with:
Cannondale, Trek and Specialized are the most popular bikes. Ridley, Cervelo, Colnago, Pinarello, Time, Look, Orbea, and a Parlee are also around.

No Serotta's in our group. In fact, only one person rides a Titanium bike, and that bike is an old Litespeed.

Carbon seems to rule the roost in the amateur racing scene in the Mid-Atlantic.

jr59
10-24-2012, 03:49 PM
It really depends on the age bracket that you ride with.

my buddies that are my age, well, we ride a bunch of different frames, all steel or Ti. Most except mine are all vintage.

But when I feel frisky and ride with the younger group, I have seen 1 Serotta, and all the rest trek, spec, gaint, canondales. Nothing else. It just seems they only care about weight.

norcalbiker
10-24-2012, 03:52 PM
I like the blue serotta.

93legendti
10-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Wrong post

malcolm
10-24-2012, 03:58 PM
inside the cover...

That is a nice looking Kirk. I personaly like the old decals.

As far as the deltas go, for me that may be one of the most beautiful bike components ever produced

Nice ride, kudos

spiderman
10-24-2012, 03:58 PM
I like the blue serotta.

i found his cIII on ebay after i bought a csi for 700...
he is a tulsa grad and fell in love with the colors
and affectionately named his stead
the golden hurricane...
the csi i built for myself
as a long distance road rig
that seemed to supplant my ottrott (woody).
my wife has since inherited buzz (the silver csi)
and won't give him back...

interestingly -- as pictured
there's not a dentist in the collection...
but they all sure have nice smiles!

tch
10-24-2012, 03:59 PM
...with all due respect -- and a bit of jealousy -- you hang around with a bunch of bike geeks, spiderman. Well-to-do bike geeks.
Most common bikes around here are the mass-market bikes: Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cannondale, Scott, etc. $3,000 gets you a pretty decent "Chevrolet" these days. Not that many folks interested in paying more for a '68 Porsche.

spiderman
10-24-2012, 04:07 PM
...with all due respect -- and a bit of jealousy -- you hang around with a bunch of bike geeks, spiderman. Well-to-do bike geeks.
Most common bikes around here are the mass-market bikes: Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cannondale, Scott, etc. $3,000 gets you a pretty decent "Chevrolet" these days. Not that many folks interested in paying more for a '68 Porsche.

i resemble that remark:eek:

Gummee
10-24-2012, 04:08 PM
I don't think I've seen a Serotta being ridden in a few years now. Least not out here in the cowfields.

I still want a Coors Light replica, but I'm kinda nostalgic like that.

M

texbike
10-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Wow, You really know a lot of Dentist! :banana::banana:

Actually almost all of the Serottas in the group are Ti and from Serotta's heyday (pre-Dentite era). We have one HSG carbon and one steel Fierte in the group. The rest of the Serottas are all old Legends (much like the riders in their own minds). Our weekday group has an age range from the mid-30s to mid-60s. That could point to the prevalence of the Serottas. However, almost everyone has a carbon bike as well (no common brand there...Colnago, Specialized, Giant, etc.).

Texbike

beeatnik
10-24-2012, 04:16 PM
The Monday Evening Peloton: 20 riders, no redundancies
The Thursday Evening Peloton: 15 riders, no redundancies (2 BD motobecanes seen on one ride tho)
The Sat Morning Peloton: 100 plus riders, Tarmacs
The Sun Morning Peloton: 50 plus riders, CAAD10s

norcalbiker
10-24-2012, 04:38 PM
i found his cIII on ebay after i bought a csi for 700...
he is a tulsa grad and fell in love with the colors
and affectionately named his stead
the golden hurricane...
the csi i built for myself
as a long distance road rig
that seemed to supplant my ottrott (woody).
my wife has since inherited buzz (the silver csi)
and won't give him back...

interestingly -- as pictured
there's not a dentist in the collection...
but they all sure have nice smiles!

I just bought a blue one about 3 months ago for my son to train so he can ride with me and my wife in SLO GranFondo.

ultraman6970
10-24-2012, 04:42 PM
I dont have a group so the most popular is my own bike :P De rosa :P

spiderman
10-24-2012, 04:50 PM
I just bought a blue one about 3 months ago for my son to train so he can ride with and my wife in SLO GranFondo.

but a great smile...
And plan for an epic ride!
...made my day!
thanks
spidey

christian
10-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Serotta Ottrott or Gaulzetti Corsa. 2 of each so depends on who shows up.

Bruce K
10-24-2012, 04:52 PM
3 Serottas (used to be 4)
1 Bedford
1 Zanconato
2 Cannondales
1 Specialized

BK

AngryScientist
10-24-2012, 05:23 PM
around where i ride, its mostly trek or specialized. i'm holding down the fort riding steel and Ti.

but here's a funny story, when maxdog, johnmdesigner and i went to VT to do a gap ride, it was john who made the comment "there are a lot of Serotta's around here" - true statement. i think the hills of VT have enough titanium to build a few submarines!

rustychisel
10-24-2012, 06:25 PM
I just bought a blue one about 3 months ago for my son to train so he can ride with me and my wife in SLO GranFondo.

okay, gotta ask. Is the second guy in that photo popping the back wheel about 5 feet in the air or is he riding a clown bike?

AgilisMerlin
10-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Spider,

just put the balls back in my eye sockets after seeing those cranks/ring.

what are those, curious

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=104545&stc=1&d=1351110293

Birddog
10-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Cannonballs everywhere, also quite a few Treks and Specialized. I know of 2 Serottas besides mine and one other Pegoretti.

AngryScientist
10-24-2012, 07:24 PM
what are those, curious

]

White industries

majl
10-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Specialized outnumbers anything else in my riding circle by 4-5x. Not even close - Trek included.

zandrrr
10-24-2012, 07:31 PM
I think in my local group it's mostly carbon bikes from the big three. A couple Tarmacs, a couple Roubaixs, two Giants I think, a Trek. Some CAAD9s or 10s, maybe a Six. There's a carbon Masi and one guy who is here at some points during the year rides a Parlee. As far as titanium frames there is my Fierte, a Lynskey Helix and an older Litespeed.

fa63
10-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Mostly Specialized in my usual group ride (the bike shop that leads the ride is a Specialized dealer), with a few Trek and Giant sprinkled in. My Tsunami and Soma usually stand out pretty good from the crowd, though it sometimes gets old explaining to people why I bought a custom aluminum bike...

spiderman
10-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Spider,

just put the balls back in my eye sockets after seeing those cranks/ring.

what are those, curious

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=104545&stc=1&d=1351110293

I like the 46t white industries ss crankset
I picked up here in the forum so well
I can't bring myself to install the double record setup
I had planned... I guess although mismatched
When you find what you really like
It's good to stick with it!

Obtw...I am sporting a serotta post on the kirk
So not sure if that counts for the OP!

Also my apologies for the skewer--
I put the wheel in with the bike in upside down.

hainy
10-25-2012, 04:40 AM
BAUM from Steve Hogg

mnoble485
10-25-2012, 06:57 AM
I admit my group is small and I ride with the same guys but we have 2 Serotta's, one Seven and one Strong. We are all old and slow but like to think otherwise.

We do, however, have an eye for a properly built bike.

Mike

tuscanyswe
10-25-2012, 07:12 AM
Silly cheap and a good value so its not so strange even tho they dont do much for me personally.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8454/8047177424_783abe472a_b.jpg

LegendRider
10-25-2012, 07:20 AM
From memory, these are the brands ridden by my teammates:

Parlee
Scott
Giant
Parlee
Cannondale
Holland
Giant
Trek
Cannondale
Ibis
DeRosa
Pinarello
Colnago
Cannondale
Litespeed
Serotta
Pinarello

djg
10-25-2012, 07:32 AM

Well, that's likely true in most larger groups. If we're talking racing, just looking around I'd say that both road and cross races display a certain number of custom or made-to-measure bikes and a certain amount of bling, but are dominated by what you'd expect: stock, off-the-peg, mass-produced bikes, ranging from mid-line to high (you know, you see Canny alloy bikes and the Supers, parts from 105 on up, wheels from serviceable to Zipp). On my squad, you'll find Serotta, Spectrum, Pegoretti, DeRosa -- one Crumpton I think -- and Colnago, but you'll mostly find Cannondale (the last bought on shop deals). More varied on the cross side, but again more stock bikes than anything else.

terry
10-25-2012, 07:40 AM
The things, that I really appreciate about my serotta's is their scarcity. Last group ride-15riders-everybody had a trek/spec/cannon dale-I have no desire to be like everybody else. There were people on that ride that had never heard of parlee or crumpton nor a host of other brands-including Ritchie Sachs (gasp). I hope serotta's never becomes a bike for the masses.

54ny77
10-25-2012, 07:54 AM
Parlee.

I ride with old people.

sg8357
10-25-2012, 08:05 AM
Several years ago a Sunday ride would have
4-5 Serottas
5-7 Waterfords
2-3 Trekalized

Now
4-5 Waterfords
4-5 Lynskey
4-5 Trekalized

Ti is back, at least for the old folks.
Has a permanent aura, great for people
telling themselves, this is their last, last bike.

SamIAm
10-25-2012, 08:27 AM
This is before or after, can't remember, a group ride of about 10 people.

http://i33.tinypic.com/2yu0jmc.jpg

Since then, we have added 2 more CG's, 3 Ellis and 5 Pacenti's, but the group has grown to 40, so we are at about the same percentage.

norcalbiker
10-25-2012, 11:49 AM
okay, gotta ask. Is the second guy in that photo popping the back wheel about 5 feet in the air or is he riding a clown bike?

He was riding a home made double decker bike that he did in his garage.

tch
10-25-2012, 01:31 PM

Wow! It's the return of Chunk666!!

...and how many of you get that reference?

rjfr
10-25-2012, 01:58 PM
I have the only Serotta in our group, and no one knows the brand (I'm the American). Our group rides bikes sold locally with a few exceptions (French randonneur builders), mostly Specialized, Giant, Scott, Lapierre, Colnago, Look, Time, and one Storck. Material is primarily carbon or aluminum.

Elefantino
10-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Specialized and Giant.

There are two Serottas. Both are mine.

Aaron O
10-25-2012, 02:13 PM
inside the cover...

I am in awe of your choices here. I mean starting out with a Kirk like that is sure to result in a beauty, but those cranks and brakes...WOWZA!

Vinci
10-25-2012, 02:33 PM
I love that he had a bottle in the bottom frame. :p

FlashUNC
10-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Lots of Treks and Specialized. Couple ti Moots. People look at me like I'm from Mars riding a steel frame.

The looks die down when I bring the Time VXR.