PDA

View Full Version : For the Spectrum lovers

jr59
10-24-2012, 11:02 AM
http://www.bicycling.com/gearfinderproductdetail?gfid=68980#.UIgLths2tbc.fa cebook

Aaron O
10-24-2012, 12:00 PM
I don't even know how to react to that bike. It makes me feel uncomfortable, like when I was 12 watching Princess Leia in Return of the Jedi.

tuxbailey
10-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Wow.

When I started to search for a new bike (before I ran into my Extralight,) my goal was to get a Specturm or Seven.

I think I have to make a trip to the barn within the next few years to check that off my bucket list.

All that bike for $4,700, or maybe it is frame and fork and the author supplied the rest?

jr59
10-24-2012, 01:26 PM
I think the proof reader needs a little help here!

But Tom's bike is not alone in this. Fireflys is the same way!

vav
10-25-2012, 05:10 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261117010832?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Ray
10-25-2012, 05:29 AM
The bike I wanted and got and my goals for what I'd do on it were quite different from the writer's, but my experience with Tom was basically identical. The talk, the fit session, the tweaking of my position, and then the frame design that fit, rode, and handled like nothing else I'd ever ridden. And it was almost immediately apparent within the first few miles of riding it. It felt perfect to start and only got more perfect with time. Killed my bike lust dead - just destroyed it. Bought another one a year or two later, with S&S, more clearance, slightly more relaxed ride, but the first one is THE bike - dead solid perfect. Haven't bought another frame in about the 6-7 years since those were delivered...

-Ray

djg
10-25-2012, 07:49 AM
It's nice to see somebody like Tom -- and Tom in particular -- getting props in a mag like Bicycling (not dissing the mag for what it is, but I mean a larger circulation -- at least relatively -- publication supported mostly by advertising from larger production companies).

djg
10-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Wow.

When I started to search for a new bike (before I ran into my Extralight,) my goal was to get a Specturm or Seven.

I think I have to make a trip to the barn within the next few years to check that off my bucket list.

All that bike for $4,700, or maybe it is frame and fork and the author supplied the rest?

The standard frameset package includes frame, fork, headset, and basic paint (basic is a beautiful level of finish, it just means a simple color choice rather than multiple colors and complex masking). That could be more like 3,500 or more like 4K, depending on Ti or Ti Super (or 3K for steel), but 4,700 couldn't really cover that bike as built. With basic one-color paint, Tom doesn't charge extra for painting the fork to match. 4,700 is getting to the really high-end for paint (and other extra) up-charges -- Tom built me a Ti super with a panel paint job (extra color and masking), some special masking (to have Ti stripes around the panel instead of just pre-fab, etc.), some custom lettering (my name and team name), the fork painted to match, etc., and the frame, fork, and headset (CK) were delivered for about 4,300 -- that's pretty recent pricing, as the bike was finished this August. I think that's the source of the two prices listed -- one for f, f, and hs, and one for the whole bike. Tom will source parts for a build and build up the whole bike for you if you want -- I think lots of his clients go that route -- but if you have the parts you can get just the frame set.

The price also includes the fitting that the author described. Tom interviewed me over a sandwich (he provided the corned beef) and then spent a good three hours with me in the barn -- most of that with me on my road bike on the trainer. I don't know what's critical to doing this right -- maybe there are all sorts of ways to get it right, if one really knows what he's doing -- but I will say that I feel that Tom completely nailed it for me. As with the Bicycling author, the bike seemed right, and balanced, without any futzing on my part.

dumbod
10-25-2012, 08:42 AM
I've been lucky enough to have fitting sessions with two masters: Paul Levine at Signature (formerly of Serotta) and Tom Kellogg. What's really amazing is how different the processes was. Paul used protractors, computers and video cameras. Tom just watched - the only tools he used were a plumb bob and a tape measure. The results were slightly different because my riding has evolved (old age somewhat offset by regular pilates) but I had great results both times.

One of the things I like best about cycling are the people I've met - by and large the 'lifers' like Tom (and Paul for that matter) are really enjoyable and great to work with. I love the Ti Spectrum I received in the spring (and I beat the price increase hee hee). Great bike and thoroughly enjoyable process.

Aaron O
10-25-2012, 08:42 AM
My dream bike is a Spectrum sports tourer...OS ti. Some day :)

Essentially I want what another member is going to be riding quite soon. GMTA.

Tom Kellogg
10-26-2012, 10:03 AM
"djg" got it all correct above except for one thing. A couple of months ago we had to raise our prices as titanium and painting products jumped WAY up recently. I don't like it, but we do have to stay in business and I'm not willing to use materials of less than the highest quality. As an example; our clearing system jumped from about $230.00 per activated gallon to almost $400.00 per gallon. The new stuff is really great stuff, but the cost is getting really stupid.

The "as ridden" price for the frame set is correct. It started at 4050.00 and the extra was all finishing extras. The complete bike price included everything in the picture PLUS pedals (not shown) and a pair of bottles. Those Arundel cages were part of the deal and the wheels and CX-25 tubs are pretty expensive as well.

Finally, thanks for all of your compliments. We will keep at it for as long as our old bodies can take it. Deal?

tuxbailey
10-26-2012, 11:45 AM
"djg" got it all correct above except for one thing. A couple of months ago we had to raise our prices as titanium and painting products jumped WAY up recently. I don't like it, but we do have to stay in business and I'm not willing to use materials of less than the highest quality. As an example; our clearing system jumped from about $230.00 per activated gallon to almost $400.00 per gallon. The new stuff is really great stuff, but the cost is getting really stupid.

The "as ridden" price for the frame set is correct. It started at 4050.00 and the extra was all finishing extras. The complete bike price included everything in the picture PLUS pedals (not shown) and a pair of bottles. Those Arundel cages were part of the deal and the wheels and CX-25 tubs are pretty expensive as well.

Finally, thanks for all of your compliments. We will keep at it for as long as our old bodies can take it. Deal?

Thanks for the update! I am happy to see your name on my Extralight every time I ride it. Hopefully I can save up some coins and get priorities straight before you retire :)

mcteague
10-26-2012, 12:17 PM

Do you ever plan to offer Ti frames without clearcoat?

Tim