PDA

View Full Version : Fizik shoes and speedplay

LJohnny
10-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Hello folks,

For anyone here using Fizik shoes and speedplay pedals, zero in this case: Which shims are you using for the cleat mounting adapter?

I checked the speedplay website for the compatibility table, but it does not list Fizik models.

Thanks!

DerekB
10-23-2012, 09:52 PM
I do not have Fizik shoes but recently installed Speedplay cleats on my Bont shoes. I had all sorts of trouble until I used no shims at all. The base plate is screwed directly to the shoe bottom. Try different combinations and check how flat the baseplate is with a ruler. In my case it was not 100% flat but nearly so with no shims. Pedals work great, I can clip in and out no trouble.

oldpotatoe
10-24-2012, 07:44 AM
Hello folks,

For anyone here using Fizik shoes and speedplay pedals, zero in this case: Which shims are you using for the cleat mounting adapter?

I checked the speedplay website for the compatibility table, but it does not list Fizik models.

Thanks!

I test rode a pair of Fizik(didn't like them, BTW) and laid out all the shims, added the ones that conformed to the bottom of the shoe the best, made the cleat mounting plate the flattest. I'd say just do that. Shoe bottoms, even tho pretty regular, are not all exactly the same, particularly in different sizes.

Not sure why, but the balls of my feet hurt like hell after about an hour using the shoes. Back to Sidi...

LJohnny
10-24-2012, 07:58 AM
I do not have Fizik shoes but recently installed Speedplay cleats on my Bont shoes. I had all sorts of trouble until I used no shims at all. The base plate is screwed directly to the shoe bottom. Try different combinations and check how flat the baseplate is with a ruler. In my case it was not 100% flat but nearly so with no shims. Pedals work great, I can clip in and out no trouble.
Thanks. I am not familiar with the Bont (although I have been thinking about trying them), but with the Fizik a shim is needed as the curvature of the sole is significant.
I test rode a pair of Fizik(didn't like them, BTW) and laid out all the shims, added the ones that conformed to the bottom of the shoe the best, made the cleat mounting plate the flattest. I'd say just do that. Shoe bottoms, even tho pretty regular, are not all exactly the same, particularly in different sizes.

Not sure why, but the balls of my feet hurt like hell after about an hour using the shoes. Back to Sidi...
Thanks. Yes, the Fizik have quite a bit of arch, maybe that got to you. I haven't. The standard shims that come with the pedals are the 1F (installed) and the 4F. There was a gap with the 1F. Need to try the 4F....

oldpotatoe
10-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Thanks. I am not familiar with the Bont (although I have been thinking about trying them), but with the Fizik a shim is needed as the curvature of the sole is significant.

Thanks. Yes, the Fizik have quite a bit of arch, maybe that got to you. I haven't. The standard shims that come with the pedals are the 1F (installed) and the 4F. There was a gap with the 1F. Need to try the 4F....

That's what I do with customers. There really isn't any standard in spite of the SP website, shoes are so non standard, bottom arc wise.

LJohnny
10-24-2012, 10:47 AM
That's what I do with customers. There really isn't any standard in spite of the SP website, shoes are so non standard, bottom arc wise.

Thanks oldpotatoe. Apologies, part of that last statement on my previous post were incoherent as I posted in a hurry before leaving for a meeting.

What I meant to say is that I haven't ridden them yet, so I am hoping the arc doesn't get to me too bad, but I can feel the difference with respect to the Sidi and Northwave. In my case, finding a "perfect" shoe is sort of the search for the holy grail. If Fizik does not work, Bont is next.

At some point I am going to have a LOT of 42-42.5 shoes for sale :D

sworcester
10-24-2012, 02:52 PM
no add on shims, just the one that comes attached to the base plate (worked for my R1s)

rice rocket
10-24-2012, 03:04 PM
FYI, the Fizik shoes have a pretty tall stack height. I noticed it immediately after swapping from some S-WORKS shoes. Add the adapter plate and you might be looking at stilts.:eek:

LJohnny
10-24-2012, 09:08 PM
no add on shims, just the one that comes attached to the base plate (worked for my R1s)
It depends on the size... I find that for 41.5, the R4 fits better. These shoes run large, no kidding.

FYI, the Fizik shoes have a pretty tall stack height. I noticed it immediately after swapping from some S-WORKS shoes. Add the adapter plate and you might be looking at stilts.:eek:

indeed. I had to compensate seat post height.