PDA

View Full Version : Campy khasmin wheels?

bikerboy337
10-23-2012, 06:10 PM
So ive been looking for some winter wheels and found a few sets so far, but none have worked out...

Can pick up khasmins, bnib for $180, which is right in my price range....any thoughts on these? Ive ridden zondas, have shamals, and love campy, but formy winter build, really wanted handbuilt for ease of maintenancr, but havent found any in my range quite yet...

thwart
10-23-2012, 06:16 PM
I would guess that you probably won't find handbuilts in that price range unless they're pretty heavily used...

maunahaole
10-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Pretty nice for the price. Can be gotten for less out of the UK. Khamsins seem to be priced less than you can buy the unbuilt components.

AngryScientist
10-23-2012, 06:22 PM
i have sciroccos, with lots of miles on them, great, well built wheels. all campy pre-builts are pretty darned good.

i would expect them to be relatively heavy, but good quality. for that price, you really cant go wrong.

FGC
10-23-2012, 06:25 PM
They're a great wheel for the price, especially if you can get a gold pair. I don't know that they still make them in gold, though. I beat mine to hell, and I should add that they still worked.

Ramjm_2000
10-23-2012, 06:47 PM
I have a white lable set for my travel bike. i wanted something that could take a beating and if damaged during a flight wouldnt break my heart. They are a tad heavy but ride quite nice and look good to boot.

Vientomas
10-23-2012, 06:59 PM
I'll echo what others have said - Campy wheels are quite good. I have had Zonda tubeless, Scirocco's and Khamsin's. All true and round out of the box and required little to no maintenance. The Khamsin's are a bit on the portly side, but appear bomb proof.

RonW87
10-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Echo others: Heavy but reliable.

bikerboy337
10-23-2012, 07:23 PM
thats what i assumed, but hadn't found many/any reviews... i was looking for used handbuilts, but they are all 75 to 100 more than i can grab these for new... i've had great luck with zonda, scirocco and shamals (currently ride shamals)...

i think i'll probably go this route. I had a few good leads on handbuilts, but in the end there were all a little over my budget...

RonW87
10-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Look here:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/campagnolo-khamsin-black-red-clincher-wheels-pair/campwhfr629

$137 plus shipping. Often there's a discount code as well.

Ron

dana_e
10-25-2012, 01:04 PM
white and black

the hubs are quite nice, sealed bearing hubs

I have had Zondas, which are mucho lighter

but was very impressed with these

nice packaging

Campagnolo/Fulcrum wheels are really nice and underated

Everyone was so GaGa over mavic wheels during the lance effect

The new Scirrocco 35 ane Fulcrum Quattro are cool as well with a 35 deep alu rim

Campy rules.

dana_e
10-26-2012, 09:44 AM
I also got a pair of Shimano R-501 wheels.

Bottom of the line Shimano vs Bottom of line Campagnolo

I thougth bouth were impressive for entry level

it is hard to dumb down quality, nice Hubs on Shimano

I give the edge to the campy hoops. sealed bearing hubs, hand built, nice brochure initialed by builder, warranty and paper work all first class.

cdn_bacon
10-26-2012, 10:05 AM
And didn't like them...

The other downfall to the is when you get a flat. Broke 3 levers and had some hella blistered thumbs trying to put on new tires...
Seemed to be slightly larger or something. Same tires went on fine on a another set of rims?

for $200, I would shop this forum. There have been some deals here that's for sure.

dana_e
10-26-2012, 10:40 AM
on your campy rims.

I can get tires on pulling them over instead of thumb pushing

cheap is the new black

bluesea
10-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Some rider's encounter serious hassles involving tire work on Campy rims, some don't. Some rider's tighten up their technique and make the effort livable, some don't.

eippo1
10-26-2012, 02:21 PM
I have a pair on my Centurion and they are about the same weight as my Aksiums and ride very nicely. Never had any trouble getting tires on - they just take a little more doing.

binxnyrwarrsoul
10-26-2012, 04:13 PM
How about Veloce CXP21s? $125.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=117491&highlight=Athena