PDA

View Full Version : McQuaid Calls Landis and Hamilton Scumbags

Uncle Jam's Army
10-23-2012, 10:46 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid-landis-and-hamilton-are-far-from-heroes

Though I would not call Landis and Hamilton heroes, I do believe their disclosures (as well as those of others) are to be commended and may do some good to help make the sport cleaner, particularly if that responsibility is taken away from McQuaid and the UCI. McQuaid's statement that "all they [Landis and Hamilton] have done is damage the sport" I think speaks volumes about how McQuaid views these "tell-all" confessions. I'm not sure how McQuaid squares that with his statement commending the other riders in the USADA report who confessed.

LegendRider
10-23-2012, 10:51 AM
McQuaid is despicable.

G-Reg
10-23-2012, 10:58 AM
He does make some good points in the article.

bobswire
10-23-2012, 10:59 AM
McQuaid is despicable.

http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2012-10-21_1176227047111603/tv/looney_tunes/daffy_despicable.wav

jr59
10-23-2012, 11:03 AM
McQuaid is despicable.

Maybe so, but what he says here is correct!

christian
10-23-2012, 11:07 AM
MCQuaid is worse than Khaddafi. And I'd buy Landis a beer. Without him, none of this would've come to light.

slidey
10-23-2012, 11:18 AM
McQuaid will never resign...I do wish that the Dopestrong case makes it's way to convince sponsors to break away from the UCI, or restructuring it without McQuaid in the centre. When I hear McQuaid saying that "Cycling has a future", I just know it means better protection for current dopers.

FlashUNC
10-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Funny that Pat and Tyler have very different recollections of that 2004 meeting.

McQuaid is a tool of the highest order.

Vientomas
10-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Pat's statement: "I've criticised Paul Kimmage about this in the past as well – when a guy writes a book, he writes it for commercial reasons. Maybe for an objective or for a philosophical reason too, but also for commercial reasons. And when he spends the rest of the time just promoting his book, he's there just to make money. Then I wonder where the objectivity goes."

I suppose Paul could just as easily have said: "I've criticised Pat about this in the past as well – when a guy runs an organization, he runs it for commercial reasons. Maybe for an objective or for a philosophical reason too, but also for commercial reasons. And when he spends the rest of the time just promoting his organization, he's there just to make money. Then I wonder where the objectivity goes."

jonnyBgood
10-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Sooo...I don't get it.

Landis told..Hamilton told.. they completely lied for many many years and took millions of dollars from people in there support. But so many look at them for what they have said most recently.

They got caught doping, no questions about it, and they lied for years but since they told that Armstrong, supposedly doped Landis and Hamilton are all the sudden known as the good guys. Give me a break.

Uncle Jam's Army
10-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Sooo...I don't get it.

Landis told..Hamilton told.. they completely lied for many many years and took millions of dollars from people in there support. But so many look at them for what they have said most recently.

They got caught doping, no questions about it, and they lied for years but since they told that Armstrong, supposedly doped Landis and Hamilton are all the sudden known as the good guys. Give me a break.

Nobody is calling Landis and Hamilton "good guys." They lied their a**es off for years, but finally decided to come clean. However, without first Landis, then Hamilton, then others coming forward, USADA's investigation would have never even started. And who do we have to thank for that? Landis and Hamilton, among others. Unless, of course, one would rather the facts revealed in the USADA report not have come to light.

67-59
10-23-2012, 11:49 AM
"Deciding" to come clean after being caught is not positive in any way IMHO. It's just trying to save some minimal shred of dignity -- and totally self-serving.

If there are any "good guys" in this whole fiasco, it's the ones who came clean even after never being caught by anti-doping authorities, and/or threatened by the US DOJ (i.e., totally and solely because they thought it was the right thing to do). Don't know who that includes, if anyone, because I don't know if the likes of Hincapie, Vande Velde, et al were ever threatened by DOJ....

slidey
10-23-2012, 11:50 AM
How is he correct here? The article explicitly proves McQuaid wrong in the last para by talking about the extent of publicity David Millar put in for his book. It just tells you McQuaid has his own reasons (monetary?) to like some, dislike some.

Maybe so, but what he says here is correct!

And what's so wrong with making millions by publishing a truthful account of events? Hell of a lot better than making millions by feigning a bleeding heart for cancer and over-charging for charity rides.

Dave B
10-23-2012, 11:51 AM
I also think the fact that Landis and Tyler were nto the best representatives to come out. Look at how far they had fallen in the public's opinion before they told the truth. yes their denials and the money raised for their defense put a lot of people off and it should.

Look how their lives changed and how desperate they became. Their word was already tarnished and it is plausible that their credibility was treated like trash...they had earned that.

They told the truth when they had something to gain. I see Lance having a hand in this as it has been said he made sure no one would pick them up.

People want to discredit what those two, Landis and Hamilton, said, but they in all accounts in the end were telling the truth. They had nothign else to lose. Now we see big George, Levi, et al coming out to protect themselves. They also had something to gain. I don't think the first two were right in taking money, but look how far they had to fall before they were able to talk about it.

To me, that is a long way down from where they were. I don;t feel sorry for their desire to dope and then deny. It is the culture to do that.

I am sorry they were not able to make more out of their lives in cycling as they were fun to watch.

rwsaunders
10-23-2012, 11:52 AM
FL's and TH's lies ended when they ran out of money. Unfortunately for LA, their lack of income is now putting a serious strain on his assets as well. In retrospect, LA should have let them run Mellow Johnny's or perhaps start a cycling tour company in Europe.

Dave B
10-23-2012, 11:56 AM
fl's and th's lies ended when they ran out of money. Unfortunately for la, their lack of income is now putting a serious strain on his assets as well. In retrospect, la should have let them run mellow johnny's or perhaps start a cycling tour company in europe.

lol

;)

Mark McM
10-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Hamilton's response to McQuaid's comments (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid-has-no-place-in-cycling-says-hamilton):

“Pat McQuaid's comments expose the hypocrisy of his leadership and demonstrate why he is incapable of any meaningful change," Hamilton said in a statement released on Tuesday.

“Instead of siezing an opportunity to instil hope for the next generation of cyclists, he continues to point fingers, shift blame and attack those who speak out, tactics that are no longer effective. Pat McQuaid has no place in cycling."

saab2000
10-23-2012, 12:52 PM
If I'm Tyler Hamilton or Floyd Landis I sleep well now. If I'm in charge of the UCI maybe not so much. With the sanctioning of Lance this is far from over.

tuxbailey
10-23-2012, 01:02 PM
Woohoo!

Pass the popcorn please. Now we are entering soap opera territory.

goonster
10-23-2012, 01:02 PM
Pat's statement: "I've criticised Paul Kimmage about this in the past as well – when a guy writes a book, he writes it for commercial reasons. Maybe for an objective or for a philosophical reason too, but also for commercial reasons. "
Yeah, that's right. Books are shady. I always had my suspicions, but I'm glad McQuaid cleared it up.

67-59
10-23-2012, 01:06 PM
If I'm Tyler Hamilton or Floyd Landis I sleep well now. If I'm in charge of the UCI maybe not so much. With the sanctioning of Lance this is far from over.

I'm betting they don't. Both of them did the same thing Lance is likely doing now: Holding out with lies and denials as long as they could afford to, and then finally "admitting" it to cut their losses. Sorry, but if that gets them a good night's sleep, Lance will sleep like a baby several years from now when he runs low on funds and "admits" it to cut his losses.:rolleyes:

Tony T
10-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Yeah, that's right. Books are shady. I always had my suspicions, but I'm glad McQuaid cleared it up.

Yep - Positively False: The Real Story of How I Won the Tour de France (http://www.amazon.com/Positively-False-Real-Story-France/dp/B0013A05VU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351015640&sr=8-1&keywords=positively+false)

Positively False is at once a memoir and a powerful indictment of the unchecked governing bodies of cycling that have compromised the integrity of the sport as a whole. Floyd Landis details the highs and lows of his career with unabashed honesty. It is this same honesty with which he will clear his name once and for all, as he lays bare the inner workings of the cycling world -- a place where athletes are subject to the antiquated science, flawed interpretive protocols, and draconian legal processes of the anti-doping agencies -- and finally lays to rest the scandal that threatened to destroy everything he's worked so hard to achieve....

Vientomas
10-23-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm betting they don't. Both of them did the same thing Lance is likely doing now: Holding out with lies and denials as long as they could afford to, and then finally "admitting" it to cut their losses. Sorry, but if that gets them a good night's sleep, Lance will sleep like a baby several years from now when he runs low on funds and "admits" it to cut his losses.:rolleyes:

I wonder how much Floyd will get from his whistle blower lawsuit? He might be able to buy a Tempur-pedic mattress and some fine Egyptian cotton sheets thereby making for a good night's sleep.

slidey
10-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Pretty much sums up exactly how I feel about McQueer.

Hamilton's response to McQuaid's comments (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid-has-no-place-in-cycling-says-hamilton):

“Pat McQuaid's comments expose the hypocrisy of his leadership and demonstrate why he is incapable of any meaningful change," Hamilton said in a statement released on Tuesday.

“Instead of siezing an opportunity to instil hope for the next generation of cyclists, he continues to point fingers, shift blame and attack those who speak out, tactics that are no longer effective. Pat McQuaid has no place in cycling."

Also, does it strike anyone else as slightly odd that McQueer's definitions of actions being good/bad are based on whether the subject in question is currently involved in cycling or not.

I've already worked out my conclusions about McQueer, and I agree with the Rabobank official that McQueer is worse than Gaddaffi...hopefully, he's brought to justice soon.

Joachim
10-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Pretty much sums up exactly how I feel about McQueer.

Also, does it strike anyone else as slightly odd that McQueer's definitions of actions being good/bad are based on whether the subject in question is currently involved in cycling or not.

I've already worked out my conclusions about McQueer, and I agree with the Rabobank official that McQueer is worse than Gaddaffi...hopefully, he's brought to justice soon.

Why do you feel the need to call him McQueer?

G-Reg
10-23-2012, 01:55 PM

+1! over the line

slidey
10-23-2012, 02:21 PM
A unique ass***e deserves a unique surname.

slidey
10-23-2012, 02:25 PM
The earth is a three-dimensional place, geometrically...we had all better be over the lines by now.

+1! over the line

Joachim
10-23-2012, 02:26 PM
A unique ass***e deserves a unique surname.

And there are other names to pick from that do not have anything to do with sexual orientation.....

Vientomas
10-23-2012, 02:32 PM
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/queer

Definition:

1 a : worthless, counterfeit <queer money> b : questionable, suspicious

2 a : differing in some odd way from what is usual or normal
b (1) : eccentric, unconventional (2) : mildly insane : touched
c : absorbed or interested to an extreme or unreasonable degree : obsessed
d (1) often disparaging : homosexual (2) sometimes offensive : gay 4b

3 : not quite well

I think Pat is arguably all of the above with the exception of 2(d) (1) and (2).

Germany_chris
10-23-2012, 02:35 PM
I think I'd break Floyd's and Tyler's nose if I ran into them on the road or trail.

Joachim
10-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Definition:

1 a : worthless, counterfeit <queer money> b : questionable, suspicious

2 a : differing in some odd way from what is usual or normal
b (1) : eccentric, unconventional (2) : mildly insane : touched
c : absorbed or interested to an extreme or unreasonable degree : obsessed
d (1) often disparaging : homosexual (2) sometimes offensive : gay 4b

3 : not quite well

I think Pat is arguably all of the above with the exception of 2(d) (1) and (2).

And that was what he was going for...riiiight....

Ahneida Ride
10-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Can we calm this down a little ?

Thanks ...

slidey
10-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Ah...so that's what bothered you! Sorry about that then, as I didn't intend it to be anything remotely sexual in any way.

And there are other names to pick from that do not have anything to do with sexual orientation.....

Joachim
10-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Ah...so that's what bothered you! Sorry about that then, as I didn't intend it to be anything remotely sexual in any way.

No problem. Let me go order a MeiVici before the price decrease :)

saab2000
10-23-2012, 03:05 PM
I think I'd break Floyd's and Tyler's nose if I ran into them on the road or trail.

Why? How have they wronged you personally? Would you do the same to Jan Ullrich? Or Erik Zabel?

Vientomas
10-23-2012, 03:13 PM
And that was what he was going for...riiiight....

It appears he was indeed.

Germany_chris
10-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Why? How have they wronged you personally? Would you do the same to Jan Ullrich? Or Erik Zabel?

No..

You never talk to anyone about anything they don't know about particularly press or the police.

saab2000
10-23-2012, 03:30 PM
No..

You never talk to anyone about anything they don't know about particularly press or the police.

Erik Zabel always had a good relationship with the press. And if the police require you to talk or go to jail most people will talk. Except the mafia, and omertá is a standing tradition there..... I prefer openness and truth.

jimcav
10-23-2012, 03:30 PM

why would you crash into them? or did you mean assault them? physical violence over what--you sound like that FL teenager that stomped/kicked a 15yr old girl in the head, giving her brain damage over some stupid text messages

Germany_chris
10-23-2012, 03:38 PM
why would you crash into them? or did you mean assault them? physical violence over what--you sound like that FL teenager that stomped/kicked a 15yr old girl in the head, giving her brain damage over some stupid text messages

I mean assault them.

Except that FL teenager didn't set a sport back 25 years, and kill a charity that does good for many.

They simply shouldn't have opened their mouth for the purity of a sport that was never pure to clear their conscience. If they actually had a conscience and believed that doping was wrong they wouldn't have done it.

"A man should not play the coward to his deeds. He should not repudiate them once he has performed them. Pangs of conscience are indecent."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

I would add the talking about them out of school is indecent.

saab2000
10-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Sprachlos.....

I mean assault them.

Except that FL teenager didn't set a sport back 25 years, and kill a charity that does good for many.

They simply shouldn't have opened their mouth for the purity of a sport that was never pure to clear their conscience. If they actually had a conscience and believed that doping was wrong they wouldn't have done it.

"A man should not play the coward to his deeds. He should not repudiate them once he has performed them. Pangs of conscience are indecent."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

I would add the talking about them out of school is indecent.

Germany_chris
10-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Sprachlos.....

Wow, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.