PDA

View Full Version : OT: Apple iPad Mini (or other brands) versus huge Smartphone?

Chance
10-23-2012, 09:35 AM
After showing some interest in the upcoming smaller iPad, my best friend suggested it would make a nice Christmas gift if it looked like it met my needs. Well, any tablet would certainly make air travel easier and more enjoyable. However, the full size iPad (which she has one) seems too big to me. A 7-inch (more or less) version should be large enough. Or is it? And if so, by how much is it big enough to be nearly as functional?

While researching options found that some Smartphones have lately gotten very large, making options more complicated. Samsung offers a 5.5-inch Smartphone. And other brands are reportedly rolling out 6-inch screens in the very near future. These blur the line between small tablets and large smartphones. Can a super-size Smartphone replace a small tablet? And will it be too large to serve as a good phone?

The idea of combining two devices into one is very attractive, but not if there are too many compromises. Any thoughts on this? Expect some of you may already have experience with both small tablets and very large Smartphones.

Thanks in advance for feedback.

FlashUNC
10-23-2012, 09:41 AM
I have a 7" Google Nexus tablet. Love it and definitely fits a nicer niche than my iPhone 4. The screen is far more comfortable for Netflix and reading books on the go. The iPhone's screen just will make you go blind after a while.

I went with the Nexus over the full-size iPad because the 10" form factor -- to me at least -- was too much. Too unwieldy, too much of a pain to lug through airport security, all that stuff.

Oh, and it was way cheaper too.

rbtmcardle
10-23-2012, 09:44 AM
I have an Ipad and a smaller HTC Evo design (GSM/CDMA) a smaller Ipad would be functional for me, only as a reader with very limited typing, when I am reading or browsing the internet i want a smaller ipad, but for writing notes in my virtual notebook, I need the bigger screen. ATMO it boils down to this - as a viewer.. the small Ipad is ideal - for more interactive type of work.. I think the bigger pad is necessary.

I think a big phone defeats the purpose.. I need my phone to fit in my front pocket and feel right in my smallish hands.

tuxbailey
10-23-2012, 09:46 AM
personally, I don't like huge smart phone. I like Apple's design philosophy that if I can't do most action on the phone with one hand, then I might as well use a tablet.

A 7" tablet is an intriguing option.

I just upgraded to the iPhone 5 and I find the fit, weight, and speed very good. Aside from the sucky maps. It is so light that having it in my pants' pocket feels the Motorola RAZR that I had 7 years ago.

I am also surprised by the used market of the used iPhone. I was able to sell my 2 year old iPhone 4 for $10 less than what I paid for it, after unlocking via carrier.

Ralph
10-23-2012, 11:22 AM
My wife has one of those new Kindle Fire HD 7" tablets ($199 at Amazon). It's terrific....for her use. E mail, web surfing, downloading books, etc. I think it connects to the Internet and surfs faster than IPad 2, and certainly faster than the 2 year old lap top I use. It also neatly fits in her purse, and she found a small fabric case for it at Target for $6. (Try that at Apple) It's Wi Fi only.....maybe a problem for some....not to us.

The larger Apple IPad is too big for her use, and why spend the money when these competing tablets like the Kindle Fire HD are 1/3 to 1/2 the price. I imagine the new Apple mini is a wonderful tablet, don't know it's price....didn't read the press release yet.

Like some of you, I prefer to keep my phones simple and compact....so they fit in my pocket. I like them cheap also....so if they get wet or ruined....no big deal.

Chance
10-23-2012, 11:47 AM
My wife has one of those new Kindle Fire HD 7" tablets ($199 at Amazon). It's terrific....for her use. E mail, web surfing, downloading books, etc.

My mother just got one too and loves it so far. That's what started me thinking whether a 5.5 or 6 inch smartphone could replace a small tablet for me.

Chance
10-23-2012, 11:51 AM
personally, I don't like huge smart phone. I like Apple's design philosophy that if I can't do most action on the phone with one hand, then I might as well use a tablet.

That’s a great point that came up often during research. However, other than while answering my old iPhone (3.5-inch screen), 99 percent of the time it resides in my left hand while typing or making selections with my right index finger. So while it can be operated with only one hand using my right thumb, almost always it ends up occupying both hands anyway. At that point would larger size be a disadvantage as long as it’s small enough to fit in a pocket?

My only approximate experience is with a 5-inch Garmin. That screen size seems plenty large to read and even type addresses comfortably. If it were 16:9 in aspect ratio to make it easier to slip into jean or jersey pockets lugging it around wouldn’t be much of an issue. It would certainly fit into a suit inner pocket.

Just wondering if guys with large Smartphones feel less need for a small tablet. Cost differences is not much of an issue because my ATT contract is due for an upgrade. A new Samsung Galaxy, for example, would cost about the same as buying a mini Wi-Fi-only tablet.

biker72
10-23-2012, 01:21 PM
I have a 7" Google Nexus tablet. Love it and definitely fits a nicer niche than my iPhone 4. The screen is far more comfortable for Netflix and reading books on the go. The iPhone's screen just will make you go blind after a while.

I went with the Nexus over the full-size iPad because the 10" form factor -- to me at least -- was too much. Too unwieldy, too much of a pain to lug through airport security, all that stuff.

Oh, and it was way cheaper too.

Great tablet. I've got one too.

Chance
10-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Thanks for feedback. On Nexus 7 and others too. My interest is in a device with cell connectivity because of travel, so the Nexus and Fire won't quite do the trick (unless my understanding about lack of cell connection is wrong).

Anyway, just found exactly the needed comparison. Learned that phone and tablet combination is now called a "phablet". Who would have thought?:rolleyes:

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/comparisons/1646918/apple_ipad_mini_vs_samsung_galaxy_note_2.html

Thanks again.