PDA

View Full Version : Steel ?

Redturbo
10-13-2005, 05:40 PM
We are having some team bikes built for next season. Have the choices of True Temper ox platinum or S3. Any reason to choose one over the other for a race bike?

turbo

FlaRider
10-13-2005, 06:30 PM
Probably not the answer you want to hear but I suspect a knowledgeable builder could make a great race bike out of either tube set or better yet, mix and match tubes from various tube sets to customize the bike for each team member.

Out of curiosity, who's the builder?

Thanks.

scrooge
10-13-2005, 09:18 PM
We are having some team bikes built for next season. Have the choices of True Temper ox platinum or S3. Any reason to choose one over the other for a race bike?

turbo

No expert here, but if I remember correctly S3 has weight restrictions (but is lighter, if you're into that sort of thing).

Redturbo
10-14-2005, 06:43 AM
Out of curiosity, who's the builder?

Thanks.

Chris Kelly out of Cali.

turbo

coylifut
10-14-2005, 09:11 AM
I have a kelly knoby x single speed. great ride, bit of fork chatter, but on on the road with v brakes. enjoy

Steve Hampsten
10-14-2005, 10:22 AM
Scott,

The OXP will give you more dent-resistance than the S3 tubing, but the oversized S3 down tube will probably give a stiffer feel at the bottom bracket. If it was me doing these bikes, and this is without knowing the riders involved, I would suggest using OXP for the top tubes (and maybe down tubes for the heavier riders), S3 shaped or round for the down tube, S3 chainstays, and let Chris choose the head and seat tube and seat stays.

Both tube sets are very hard (as in tough/brittle) and are difficult to machine but build up into a very nice ride. Your riders are lucky to be on steel - really. I even know of a retired pro racer who is planning to ride cyclocross on an OXP/Foco lugged steel frame, but that's another thread or two...

sh

Chris
10-14-2005, 12:53 PM
lucky to be on steel? Tell us why! Tell us why!

OldDog
10-14-2005, 02:37 PM
lucky to be on steel? Tell us why! Tell us why!

Is an explination needed! :D

Chris
10-14-2005, 03:59 PM
I ask because these are race bikes specifically. I'm interested in hearing an argument on why someone would choose a steel bike to race on. I'm not diminishing the choice, I'm just interested in why one would pick a *race* bike built with steel instead of some other material.

coylifut
10-14-2005, 04:54 PM
I ask because these are race bikes specifically. I'm interested in hearing an argument on why someone would choose a steel bike to race on. I'm not diminishing the choice, I'm just interested in why one would pick a *race* bike built with steel instead of some other material.

it all depends on who's paying for it. I still ride steel because it's durable, rides real nice and can be had at a reasonable cost. As far as whether I'll be on the podium or not the "material is immaterial."

Steve Hampsten
10-14-2005, 05:14 PM
Chris,

Here in Seattle, most of the bikes I see people racing on are of the inexpensive Chinese aluminum variety. Nothing against that type of bike, but they don't ride very comfortably and they look, imho, ugly. Nor are most cheap aluminum bikes light. So if the choice is between a cheap, heavy, ugly, harsh-riding overseas-built aluminum bike, or a handcrafted-in-the-US more-comfortable riding LIGHT steel bike - most likely built to measure - the choice seems pretty obvious to me.

Given an unlimited budget and a real shot at a podium placing, one can certainly make a good argument for QUALITY aluminum, carbon, or titanium frames - but I don't see very many riders racing on those bikes.

As a company we sell expensive bikes from all four materials to racers, but let's face it - these are the exception. Most people don't want to risk a $5000 investment in a four-corner criterium for a couple of tires as a first-place prize.

Just my two cents; apologies to Chinese alloy bikes everywhere.