PDA

View Full Version : OT Cards-Giants

wc1934
10-22-2012, 08:45 PM
A diehard Red Sox fan here who watches mostly American League games.
However, I must say that this National League series reminded me of how much more enjoyable the game is without the designated hitter (how the game used to be played in the good ol days when pitchers hit).
There seem to be more hit and runs- going from first to third, sac bunts, tagging from second on balls hit to right, concentrating on the fundamentals, managing the game, etc etc.

What say you?

PS - Is McCarver (ex- Cardinal catcher) impartial or biased?
How much does that camera which records 3,000 frames per second cost?

MattTuck
10-22-2012, 08:47 PM
I hope detroit wins the whole thing. That city needs some good news.

jr59
10-22-2012, 08:52 PM
However, I must say that this National League series reminded me of how much more enjoyable the game is without the designated hitter (how the game used to be played in the good ol days when pitchers hit).
There seem to be more hit and runs- going from first to third, sac bunts, tagging from second on balls hit to right, concentrating on the fundamentals, managing the game, etc etc.

What say you?

Enjoyable set of games for sure. McCarver is ok.

As to how much that camera set up cost, I have no idea, But I'm really glad they have it. That double hit was to cool!

Bradford
10-22-2012, 08:56 PM
It's hard to imagine that baseball would have been better over the last 10 years without David Ortiz.

Louis
10-22-2012, 09:00 PM
The Cardinals are playing a game right now?

That's news to me. :(

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

But to the OP, yes, baseball with the DH is a lesser version of what's played in the NL. But what are the odds that they'll ever get rid of it? Very low.

rbtmcardle
10-22-2012, 09:11 PM

Same here, though I am rooting for Detroit because they are the only team in the playoffs without an ex phillie. :eek:

Ortiz would have played, the fascination of the national league game for me is the managing of it all.. The third baseman for the Giants is not nearly a great fielder.. But they manage somehow..it's what makes it interesting.

wpod
10-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Go Giants!!!

Louis
10-22-2012, 10:48 PM
Well, that's over.

This is all you need to know:

Scoring Position: StL - 0 for 11. SF - 3 for 14.

We got 7 hits, 4 of them by the same batter (Yadi went 4-4)

Overall, a good year, all things considered.

Good luck to the Giants against the Tigers.

gasman
10-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Go Giants !!

Great to see a game 7 and that the Giants won !!

henry14
10-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Go giants!!!

Ray
10-23-2012, 04:14 AM
Having lived and watched plenty of baseball in both American and National League cities, I've personally come to hate the designated hitter rule. The game is infinitely more interesting and entertaining without it (unless you're only entertained by lots of offense). I'm afraid the NL will adopt it soon and I have no hope that the AL will drop it, but I'll be a far less interested and dedicated fan if I'm ever in a position to have to watch it regularly.

Go Giants, BTW. I guess the Card's magic finally ran out. Had to happen eventually.

-Ray

93legendti
10-23-2012, 05:30 AM
Nothing is more entertaining to me than watching NL pitchers average .091 at the plate.

Ray
10-23-2012, 05:43 AM
Nothing is more entertaining to me than watching NL pitchers average .091 at the plate.

Depends on whether you're in it for the quick thrill or the strategy behind the moves. Watching a climber launch an attack or a sprinter launch his sprint are the most immediately entertaining parts of a bike race too, but its all of the strategy in the moves that lead up to those points that make it really fun to follow the whole race. Same with baseball without the DH - the strategies around when to play small-ball, how to pitch to various hitters with the pitcher coming up soon, whether to take a really good pitcher out of the game because you need the runs, the double switches, etc, make for an infinitely more interesting game. And then when a NL pitcher DOES get a hit, its a real kick in the shorts. I was at a Phillies / Giants game in July when Cole Hamels and Matt Cain homered off each other in the same inning - that was waaaaay more fun that watching some over the hill slugger hanging on in the DH slot hit a homer in the AL.

-Ray

jr59
10-23-2012, 06:12 AM
Depends on whether you're in it for the quick thrill or the strategy behind the moves. Watching a climber launch an attack or a sprinter launch his sprint are the most immediately entertaining parts of a bike race too, but its all of the strategy in the moves that lead up to those points that make it really fun to follow the whole race. Same with baseball without the DH - the strategies around when to play small-ball, how to pitch to various hitters with the pitcher coming up soon, whether to take a really good pitcher out of the game because you need the runs, the double switches, etc, make for an infinitely more interesting game. And then when a NL pitcher DOES get a hit, its a real kick in the shorts. I was at a Phillies / Giants game in July when Cole Hamels and Matt Cain homered off each other in the same inning - that was waaaaay more fun that watching some over the hill slugger hanging on in the DH slot hit a homer in the AL.

-Ray

Well written sir!
I 100% agree!

93legendti
10-23-2012, 07:22 AM
Watching a pitcher strike out repeatedly is neither strategy, nor a thrill. Detroit's "over the hill DH" is 27 and the MVP of the ALCS.
Last year, Detroit's "over the hill" DH hit .330, 40 doubles (with only 12 homers) and 103 RBI. He also led the Major Leagues in batting average with runners in scoring position, hitting .394...that was so boring...compared to waiting for a pitcher to "give a thrill" based upon a .091 average...that's a season's worth of excitement every time a pitcher comes to the plate.:rolleyes:

Ray
10-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Watching a pitcher strike out repeatedly is neither strategy, nor a thrill.

Yeah, but what happens in advance of the pitcher's at bat is always a strategy and often a thrill. And a lot of pitchers are pretty decent at bunting, which also figures in to how you get to the pitcher. And how a team pitches to the #8 guy with 2 outs. In some cases, with RISP, they'll put him on to make the pitcher hit. In other cases, they try REAL hard to get him, so the pitcher will have to lead off the following inning, reducing the odds of a big inning.

I'm glad you enjoy your big thrill baseball. You probably LOVED the steroid era, when there was no strategy other than hit the long ball early and often. I find THAT boring. When you watch the Tour, do you just fast forward to the sprint or the big attacks on the final climb?

You've got a great team - they should be pretty heavily favored. And good on them and your fair city if they win. But I'll take the subtle charms of NL baseball over the AL league game EVERY time.

-Ray

oldpotatoe
10-23-2012, 08:03 AM

What say you?

Game 6 even had a kinda crappy suicide squeeze by the pitcher. I love this game. AND altho I watch the American league most, I think the DH ought to go away. Making the pitcher hit adds all sorts of drama.

oldpotatoe
10-23-2012, 08:04 AM
It's hard to imagine that baseball would have been better over the last 10 years without David Ortiz.

BUT it's better to have him at first base, rather than just DH.

Louis
10-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Watching a pitcher strike out repeatedly is neither strategy, nor a thrill.

Adam, it must really be sad to be you. So much of your life is negative (or at least the parts of life you tend to comment on here): I can almost set my watch to your posts gloating about this company or that product that failed because it did not happen to gibe with your view of politics or the world. I've said it before, Schadenfreude is not a healthy feeling.

In this case, it's the same thing: you see the negative, the pitcher striking out, while refusing to acknowledge all the other benefits to the quality of the game one gets from having the pitcher hit.

If you demand constant action, then maybe baseball is not the sport for you -perhaps you should stick to the NBA. I can see how that would be the perfect match for someone of your sensibilities.

Best of luck to the Tigers.

norcalbiker
10-23-2012, 01:23 PM

I doubt that they can beat the GIANTS.
Hunter Pence has more hits (3 hits) than A-Rod in one swing. :p
How do you beat that? :banana:

Tom
10-23-2012, 01:32 PM
Yeah, and I think we should get rid of the goalie in hockey cause he never scores.

MattTuck
10-23-2012, 01:49 PM
I have no problem with the DH or the NL system. Either is fine, and both require strategies, they are just different strategies. I personally think that a pitcher's ability to hit isn't that important, relative to their pitching. They may get 3 or 4 at bats every 4 - 6 days. So, a team isn't going to value (pay for) a pitcher's offensive abilities when they'll be unable to utilize those offensive strengths very often.

If you had a pitcher with even an average (for non pitchers) ability at the plate, you're probably better off converting that pitcher to an outfielder so you can get their bat in the game every night. If you take this to its logical conclusion, there is little incentive for teams to recruit better hitting pitchers.

I only want the Tigers to win because detroit needs some good news.

rbtmcardle
10-23-2012, 01:56 PM
I doubt that they beat the GIANTS.
Hunter Pence has more hits (3 hits) than A-Rod in one swing. :p
How do you beat that? :banana:

IDK.. as a Phillies fan, I dont mind the trade.. he hit .210 for us last postseason and is hitting .188 for SF this post season..

oldpotatoe
10-23-2012, 02:32 PM
IDK.. as a Phillies fan, I dont mind the trade.. he hit .210 for us last postseason and is hitting .188 for SF this post season..

Hunter, basic man...old school baseball player, fun to watch.

4Rings6Stars
10-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Yeah, and I think we should get rid of the goalie in hockey cause he never scores.

Ahem...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwOT9VVzzVA

norcalbiker
10-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Ahem...

That's awesome!!!

Proved him wrong. HAHAHAHAHA

Louis
10-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Ahem...

And pitchers sometimes hit home runs, so it does match...

eddief
10-23-2012, 04:21 PM
the quick evolution of the shortstop, Brandon Crawford. Many errors to start his rookie season and poor batting average. Defensively amazing now and the bat is coming around. Fun, fun to watch.

Wonder if Marco is this year's Huff or if he can keep hitting now and next year too.

Go Giants.