PDA

View Full Version : Video hosting question for riding videos

Cadence230
10-13-2005, 05:24 PM
I recieved this http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?prod_id=SC-X105L%252fXAA, for my bithday, a little digital movie camera with a head mount camera. I want to record my riding adventures to share with good people such as yourselves. My question is if anyone here has had experience with video hosting services such as this one http://www.mpegnation.com/mnationhome/mnationhome.rsc My camera right now has 512mb. So I guess part of my question is bang for the buck hosting.

Serpico
10-13-2005, 06:32 PM
BUMP

you know Ashley B.? just got a Concours through him awhile ago, very pleasant experience. Still building it up--can't wait. :beer:

good luck with the hosting, look forward to seeing your vids

Cadence230
10-13-2005, 07:00 PM
BUMP

you know Ashley B.? just got a Concours through him awhile ago, very pleasant experience. Still building it up--can't wait. :beer:

good luck with the hosting, look forward to seeing your vids
Of couse I know Ashley! For the better part of 16 yrs. I owe him alot, figuritively and literally. He has always been good to me professionally and personally.All of his guys are right on top of it when helping people out.Yeah I remember from another thread, which disappeared, that you were fitted there.My first serotta was a concours. Whatcha gonna do with yours?

dirtdigger88
10-13-2005, 07:05 PM
hey cadence

either look at your p.m. or your email- Im going to be in your neck of the woods in early november

Jason

Cadence230
10-13-2005, 07:22 PM
hey cadence

either look at your p.m. or your email- Im going to be in your neck of the woods in early november

Jason
Earth to MIKE...hello! pm sent.

Huffy_7-eleven
10-13-2005, 11:31 PM
I use bit-torrent to host large video files. It's also free.

Bud
10-14-2005, 08:25 AM
That camera looks quite sweet. I can think of a lot of possibilities for making some interesting videos. Keep us posted on your use of it- I'm looking forward to seeing the vids and hearing the reports.

Cadence230
10-14-2005, 09:21 AM
I'm heading out for a ride in a few minutes. High of 80 with a very light NW wind and beautiful cobalt blue skies. Another lovely day in the Ozarks. Hopefully I'll be able to post a vid up (I'll check out bit-torrent per Huffy_7-eleven's suggestion)tonight so ya'll can check it out while watching the Playoffs, drinking single malt, entertaining the rug rats, recovering, watching Law and Order, doing vile things to your dog with a fork or whatever.

weisan
10-14-2005, 10:15 AM
cadence-pal,

I used a hosting service www.ipowerweb.com. It charges $7.95 monthly and provides 3GB of space. There are a few things you have to consider here.

1) Video compression and conversion - very similar to downloading and viewing pictures on the web, you want to strike a balance between the size and the quality. There are softwares out there that allows you to download your video clips and compress them to a manageable size without compromising too much on the quality. I used an application called Pinnacle Studio. It's pretty straightforward and easy to use.

2) Create an archive library - sooner or later, you are going to run out of space. It's not practical to store everything on the hosting service. Think about taking some older clips off the service and burn them into CDs or store them away in your local hard-drive.

3) Build a landing page - post the links on a page with maybe a one-line description of what it is, when it took place, who's involved etc.

4) streaming video - you get the best quality video clips when they are non-streaming. Getting streaming video over the web is hugely dependent on the internet connection speed of the audience. Consider who your general audience is before selecting the speed of the streaming video.

5) The advantage of creating your own account with a dedicated hosting service (instead of using those that were mentioned here earlier) is that you retain full control over how, when, where, what, why etc.