PDA

View Full Version : WHITE or DT - best bad weather hubs?

d_douglas
10-22-2012, 01:22 PM
I have whittled down my wheels options to two hubs: WHITE INDSTRIES and DT SWISS. They will be the disc braked versions.

I love the look of the polished WI hubs, but will be using these in bad road weather/offroad etc.

Any thoughts on which ones have less maintenance and better seals?

Likes2ridefar
10-22-2012, 01:44 PM
I've used both. I had a rear silver WI hub for a few years on a commuter. It went through about the nastiest conditions you could ask for - NYC winter commutes through all weather daily - for a few years. it never had an issue and the bearings were smooth the day I finally retired that bike and moved on.

the silver finish did not stay clean but once I could get at it with the spokes off it cleaned up nicely.

dt swiss is great. some people think dt swiss is better. A guy I know who I mtb raced with a few times swore by dt swiss, and I think he would know being about the most extreme endurance mtb adventure racer i've ever known. he's the guy that started the great divide race from montana to new mexico...

bicycletricycle
10-22-2012, 02:52 PM
white industry hubs are super and they are made here in the us. I dont think that you could really find a big difference between WI and DT in the durability department.

Ahneida Ride
10-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Had Whites for 10 years ...

Replaced the bearing with Ceramic once.

Highly recommend the Whites and they look great too !

67-59
10-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Can't help the OP...but it's awesome to hear all the positive comments about the White Industry hubs because I'm picking up a new set that my LBS is building for me next week.:banana:

d_douglas
10-22-2012, 05:36 PM
I own and think DT 240s are great hubs, but I do love the silvery-ness of the White Industries ones. They would suit the build better, aesthetically...

Hmmmmm...

false_Aest
10-22-2012, 05:53 PM
My tubular set of cross wheels will be W.I.

Bikes are for riding not for babying. I chose these hubs for that reason.

sevencyclist
10-22-2012, 06:16 PM
I am looking for hubs myself, but need to be in silver.

Here is what I have so far:

White Industry T11 is medium weight with medium price and just updated.
DT unfortunately is not silver so is out for me.
Chris King R45 is high price with medium weight.
Alchemy ELF/ORC is high price with low weight, but a new version is around the corner, so might be wise to wait for the newer version.
Curtis Odom https://www.facebook.com/CurtisOdomHubs is hight high weight with high price and amazing looks.
Royce is medium price with high weight but very classy look.

d_douglas
10-22-2012, 06:19 PM
My tubular set of cross wheels will be W.I.

Bikes are for riding not for babying. I chose these hubs for that reason.

Yes, they are for riding, for sure, but if I am building wheels from scratch, I might as well make an aesthetic choice as well, with all things performance related being equal...

I have heard lots of positive about WI here, so that helps....

jlwdm
10-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Sevencyclist,

The new Alchemy hubs supposedly do not need a special tool like the current models.

Jeff

sevencyclist
10-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Sevencyclist,

The new Alchemy hubs supposedly do not need a special tool like the current models.

Jeff

I am loking forward to finding out more about the new Alchemy (specs and price) and will be making decision based on that and WI T11, I think.:)