PDA

View Full Version : Anyone win today's Acorn lottery and want to sell or trade?

sc53
10-22-2012, 11:25 AM
I missed out on the Acorn bag lottery today--dang it! I was on there at 11:55 am EDT and kept refreshing but by the time I could click Add To Cart all the bags I wanted were sold out! I really like today's color (Ranger Tan). If anyone got a medium or large saddlebag or small or medium handlebar bag and doesn't need it or want it, I have a Carradice Barley with Bagman support rack to trade, or Berthoud Klick-Fix smallish grey boxy handlebar bag to trade, or will buy your Acorn outright!
I wish they made more bags.

svelocity
10-22-2012, 12:16 PM
I too have been trying to buy a both the handlebar and saddle bag for over a year now with no luck. Gah...

Frankwurst
10-22-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm one of the lucky ones...got a handlebar bag...finally. :beer:

sc53
10-22-2012, 12:38 PM
FrankWurst please tell us your secret! Do you have mega high speed ethernet or something? I was there at 11:55 am and kept clicking but only got "site down for maintenance," then "SOLD OUT."

Frankwurst
10-22-2012, 01:09 PM
FrankWurst please tell us your secret! Do you have mega high speed ethernet or something? I was there at 11:55 am and kept clicking but only got "site down for maintenance," then "SOLD OUT."

I'm thinking the planets were lined up correctly at the time of my purchase or more than likely I just got lucky. When you get to the part where the "site down for maintenance" shows up keep hitting the F5 key(I started at 11:55 and hit F5 every 15 seconds or so) until they decide it's time for the party to begin. Then when the bag you want shows up add it to your cart and proceed to checkout. Good Luck next go round. I know how frustrating it can be.:beer:

jeffreyt
10-22-2012, 03:23 PM
I got lucky earlier this year with both a roll bag and boxy rando bag in green. I did the same thing as other people and kept clicking the refresh just before noon (eastern time). Maybe the tan & black sell quicker than the green (don't know for sure), but the green does look good on my blue Weigle.

joep2517
10-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Not to sound absolutely and completely clueless but what is this thing you call "Acorn Lottery"? :)

I did a google search and found a company out of CA that makes bike bags and they make a limited number. Is this the same company? And what's the lottery system for - future bags?

Signed,
Absolutely and completely clueless

JAGI410
10-22-2012, 03:28 PM
I got a medium saddlebag. F5 was hit repeatedly and I got lucky.

jr59
10-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Not to sound absolutely and completely clueless but what is this thing you call "Acorn Lottery"? :)

I did a google search and found a company out of CA that makes bike bags and they make a limited number. Is this the same company? And what's the lottery system for - future bags?

Signed,
Absolutely and completely clueless

The easy way to explain it is, try to buy a bag thru acorn. You will soon find out!

You sign up for an email alert, (which I did not get this time) and try to buy them the next day.

It very very rarely works! Most times you get SOLD OUT!
So you get to wait till next time and try again.

If not for knowing a very few that got bags, I would think it was a scam some how. But it's not, they are just HARD to get.

Now about missing that email!!!!!:mad:

sc53
10-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Ok I'm clueless about hitting F5. I have a Mac, hitting F5 raised the volume on my internal speakers. If it refreshes the web page, then yeah I did that as fast as I could. I'm never good at winning eBay bidding wars either. Too slow on the trigger finger I guess. Maybe next year!

joep2517
10-22-2012, 03:49 PM
The easy way to explain it is, try to buy a bag thru acorn. You will soon find out!

You sign up for an email alert, (which I did not get this time) and try to buy them the next day.

It very very rarely works! Most times you get SOLD OUT!
So you get to wait till next time and try again.

If not for knowing a very few that got bags, I would think it was a scam some how. But it's not, they are just HARD to get.

Now about missing that email!!!!!:mad:

jr,

Thanks. That explains it perfectly. I had a feeling as to what was going on but I wasn't sure. Good luck next time!

BTW, how often do they send out those emails?

joe

jmoore
10-23-2012, 10:14 AM
Surely there has to be another bag company that people can buy from instead of having to go through all this mess. I can appreciate the rare quality of an item, but this "lottery" seems a bit silly.

jr59
10-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Surely there has to be another bag company that people can buy from instead of having to go through all this mess. I can appreciate the rare quality of an item, but this "lottery" seems a bit silly.

You could always be the first! I'll test them out for you!

jmoore
10-23-2012, 10:58 AM
You could always be the first! I'll test them out for you!

I'm not really a handlebar bag kind of guy, so I don't know much about this space.

But Zimbale maybe?
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/bags/zimbale.html

modernfuturist
10-23-2012, 01:33 PM
I've won the Acorn lottery twice now, so I'm trying to pass on some good vibes.

Black saddlebag is available for a good price on the Rivendell Bike Works group page (https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/rbw-owners-bunch/kW96xSJVz00)

thenewguy11
01-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Anyone score today? I was hoping I had it timed perfectly but no dice.

I do wonder how many of these bags they produce. I know its a small operation but are we talking about 2 bags or 50 at a time? I also wonder why they don't start raising prices incrementally until supply/demand balances out a bit more.

fiamme red
01-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Anyone score today? I was hoping I had it timed perfectly but no dice.

I do wonder how many of these bags they produce. I know its a small operation but are we talking about 2 bags or 50 at a time? I also wonder why they don't start raising prices incrementally until supply/demand balances out a bit more.I'm on their e-mail list, but never got a reminder for today's sale. :confused:

jr59
01-14-2013, 11:17 AM
I won 2 last time around.

Then it didn't like my CC so NO DICE!

Oh well, no acorn bag for me. :mad:

JAGI410
01-14-2013, 11:22 AM
I was able to get the handlebar bag I've been drooling over for months. Put the browser on the product I wanted an hour ago. Hit refresh a few times right at 9am (well 11am here) and the bag I wanted was on the screen, added to cart and checked out. Same method that worked for me last time.

The reminder emails only last a few months, keep subscribing. The reminder email was sent at 12:30pm on Friday.

sc53
01-14-2013, 11:52 AM
I didn't get the reminder email about today either! Damn! Missed out yet again, big time! i did find a decent bar and saddle bag on the Soma Fabrications site, made by Cardiff, that looks and rides really well. Not an Acorn, but nice.

CNY rider
01-14-2013, 03:36 PM
I really wanted the small rando bag.
Those things were gone within 30 seconds.
I quickly snapped up my second chance, the small handlebar bag.

Ken Robb
01-14-2013, 04:03 PM
hmmm, I seem to recall from Business Economics that when demand for your product exceeds supply you either increase production or raise prices to bring demand and supply into congruence.

yakstone
01-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Maybe they never studied economics.

boomana
01-14-2013, 05:28 PM
OP, PM me if you want a large, unused large saddle bag in black. I had a friend try to get one since I was afraid I couldn't, and I ended up with two a few months ago. I've just been too lazy to try and sell it.

JAGI410
02-08-2013, 01:53 PM
There will be a monday sale:

Just a head's up that we're finishing a batch of OLIVE bags--all models.
We'll have them for sale approx. 9am (Pacific time) Feb 11, Monday.
(BLACK bags will be completed in roughly 4 weeks and RANGER TAN after that.)

Good luck!

Black Dog
02-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Hard to grasp why people beg and pray for the chance to buy something. Why do they not increase production? They have the demand and seem to have a solid product, but they will get crushed by competition at some point if they turn away people who want to buy their product. The relationship between buyer and seller is backwards here.

jr59
02-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Hard to grasp why people beg and pray for the chance to buy something. Why do they not increase production? They have the demand and seem to have a solid product, but they will get crushed by competition at some point if they turn away people who want to buy their product. The relationship between buyer and seller is backwards here.

It would seem that way to me also.

I have seen it done before and be VERY successful.
Rolex did it with their S/S Daytonas for years and years.
You could not just go by one, and Rolex would only build so many.

It drove the price so high for new Daytonas that some of the dealers would sell them for 2000 over retail to a resaler, who would in turn sell them for even more. This went on for years. Until the price got Rolex attention.

Now they are the over inflated price and make as many that will sell.

Strange marketing indeed!

sc53
02-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Wow, I guess Olive is the least favorite color for Acorn bags. This morning, following the instructions of other successful "beggars" for these bags, I actually got two Acorn bags: the medium saddlebag, which I've really been wanting (albeit in the OTHER colors!), and the medium handlebar bag (again, would have preferred black or ranger tan). I'm sure they are all sold out yet again and it's been 9 mins since the sale opened up. If anybody wants to trade for other colors at some point, let me know! I can't believe I even got these two. This is the 4th sale I've tried for!

jasonlee
02-15-2013, 01:57 AM
I got my hands on a blue boxy almost 2 years ago off craigslist in San Francisco and I'm kicking myself for not buying the set...

I am going to keep my eyes open for the Ranger Tan as it would match my bike very well.

In the meantime, I will see if I can get into my friends shop and/or borrow their Juki and start practicing sewing with some scrap canvas ...

pavel
02-15-2013, 11:17 AM
I have a medium large saddle bag in black if anyone is needing one. It's a dusty but otherwise like new.

lukasz
02-15-2013, 01:34 PM
hmmm, I seem to recall from Business Economics that when demand for your product exceeds supply you either increase production or raise prices to bring demand and supply into congruence.

Only makes sense if you're going for growth/pleasing investors.

What if you just want a regular paycheck? Then you just keep doing what works.

BobbyJones
02-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Only makes sense if you're going for growth/pleasing investors.

What if you just want a regular paycheck? Then you just keep doing what works.

This usually works until someone does the same product, meets market demand then puts the regular paycheck guy out of business. Then we get to hear all about the woes of the "small guy" and how they couldn't survive.

There are anomalies, but its usually evolve or die.

sparky33
02-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Acorn makes some beautiful bags. I happily used a tab Acorn Hbag for a while.

IMO the Swift Industries bags are on par with the Acorn bags, and Swift seems do a better job on supply.

Dill Pickle also makes some nice saddle type bags.

sparky33
02-15-2013, 06:41 PM
fwiw
It's good to charge what your work is worth. It's not greedy. it's fair and rational.

Louis
02-15-2013, 06:43 PM
fwiw
It's good to charge what your work is worth. It's not greedy. it's fair and rational.

I think the market is telling them that the bags are worth more than what they are charging.

(Or maybe consumers are stupid and willing to over-pay for what they're getting.)

Black Dog
02-15-2013, 06:44 PM
This usually works until someone does the same product, meets market demand then puts the regular paycheck guy out of business. Then we get to hear all about the woes of the "small guy" and how they couldn't survive.

There are anomalies, but its usually evolve or die.

I have to agree. There are so many parasitic companies that will simply copy a product and grab market share. This reality does not allow a company to set its own terms. They may not be greedy or want to expand, but if the demand for their product is there and they do not have a patent or similar protection of their design then the parasites are on the way. They can bank the extra money they make for a rainy day or use it to fund a charity if they do not have the desire keep the money. It is very possible to keep your principles intact and have some success.