PDA

View Full Version : Phil L. - "I look like a fool."

Vientomas
10-21-2012, 10:37 AM
"I was inclined (to think) surely he doesn’t dope, but now I look a fool, to be quite frank," Liggett told The Daily Telegraph from London.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/cycling/cycling-commentator-phil-liggett-says-lance-armstrong-made-a-fool-out-of-him/story-fnanprbk-1226500195180

LegendRider
10-21-2012, 10:57 AM
"I am like everybody else. I had no idea such an in-depth drug scheme was taking place."

That's weird, because most of us had an idea it was taking place...

FlashUNC
10-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Oh Phil, it wasn't Lance that made you look like a fool. You've been doing wonders on that front unassisted for years.

Grant McLean
10-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Good for Phil. I can't imagine what kept Phil defending Lance, or what exactly
was going through his mind during that rant about the USADA "witch hunt" in
that Skype interview in August... but you know what? Reading Phil admit
he was wrong is all I needed to hear.

Phil, ya old fool, you're loyal and that is something we can all relate to,
especially when that loyalty gets us in trouble, when we should know better.
Now it's time to take an objective look at your job, and decide what
you want to accomplish now that you have a chance to reflect on how and
why you got in the mess you did.

I predict Phil will enjoy the next few years before he retires. There is lots going
on to be optimistic about, and there is no reason why Phil should miss out on
the next wave, if he's smart enough to finally realize his job isn't a cheerleader.

-g

Bruce K
10-21-2012, 12:38 PM
The LAG was founded in 1997

I believe the name change came in about 2006 I think

But here's the thing, if you search it on the the names are almost interchangeable on various websites

BK

CunegoFan
10-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Liggett was not fooled. A few days ago Scott LeMond tweeted about Liggett and Sherwen at the 2007 TdF joking about how much dope Armstrong must have taken.

Armstrong did not make him a fool. He proved himself one when he stuck his neck out for Armstrong even as Lance was being led up the steps to the guillotine.

ultraman6970
10-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Have to agree here, was his fault. How come Paul is still in silence?? Never heard a single thing about paul and the subject in question, of course he knew was a delicate problem to talk about, better just mute and let the things go around him. Phill couldn't figure it out...

The other thing we dont know is that maybe phill came up in his defense because LA asked him to do it, maybe that was the case and of course he has to feel like a an old soldier boot, super well USED.

wpod
10-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Yes Phil...you do.

mcteague
10-21-2012, 04:10 PM
PL has lost all credibility IMO. Does he really expect us to believe he had no idea about doping? Just a few weeks ago he was spouting 3rd hand conspiracy theories about bribes to get people to lie and say they saw Armstrong dope.

Only now, when just about every sponsor has jumped ship and his cancer foundation pushes him out the door,does he jump off the back of the Lance train. Wish he would retire for the business. Paul Sherwin was the only one on that team who seemed to have a clue what was going on in a race anyway. Wonder when Paul will admit water is wet?

Tim

csm
10-21-2012, 04:17 PM
I forget.... who in the ranks of professional cycling DIDN"T dope?

ultraman6970
10-21-2012, 04:21 PM
Just to get two or 3 more pages...

Lemond, the badger maybe didn't either based in some of his performances where he basically got dropped in the back of the group, lemond had stuff like that aswell.

Anybody to add to the list?

csm
10-21-2012, 04:24 PM
given what seems to be a culture of doping in the ranks of pro cycling, I doubt that Lemond wasn't doping. and doubt even more so that the badger never did.
sorta seems to fly in the face of common sense... Saying Lemond didn't dope when there were those around him who did sounds a bit like saying Armstrong didn't when those around him did....

mcteague
10-21-2012, 04:51 PM
I forget.... who in the ranks of professional cycling DIDN"T dope?

As many have said, this is about more than just doping. I think most of the anger is about Armstrong's mega arrogant behavior and scorched earth policy he applied to anyone who he felt slighted him, or just told the truth about their own doping.

Doping is common in many sports, not just cycling. Many went along just to get along. IMO Armstrong took doping up several levels and was a major pusher, not just a user.

Tim

choke
10-21-2012, 05:04 PM
I forget.... who in the ranks of professional cycling DIDN"T dope?Andy Hampsten.

Vientomas
10-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Andy Hampsten.

:banana: From the way is is dancing, I think Banana Guy agrees with you.

rustychisel
10-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Good for Phil. I can't imagine what kept Phil defending Lance, or what exactly
was going through his mind during that rant about the USADA "witch hunt" in
that Skype interview in August... but you know what? Reading Phil admit
he was wrong is all I needed to hear.

Phil, ya old fool, you're loyal and that is something we can all relate to,
especially when that loyalty gets us in trouble, when we should know better.
Now it's time to take an objective look at your job, and decide what
you want to accomplish now that you have a chance to reflect on how and
why you got in the mess you did.

I predict Phil will enjoy the next few years before he retires. There is lots going
on to be optimistic about, and there is no reason why Phil should miss out on
the next wave, if he's smart enough to finally realize his job isn't a cheerleader.

-g

thank you for a voice of reason.

I'm just envisaging the commentary which some here think should have been indulged... as Wiggo ascends the Pyrenees accompanied by the Sky cadre...

Liggett: "I think he may be on the juice, Paul, certainly this incredible performance after his time trial win would suggest he's not doing it by willpower alone."

Sherwen: "The numbers don't lie, Phil, he's within 7 seconds of Roberto Heras' time when he lead Armstrong up this very same climb back in 2003. Wiggins is deep into the suitcase of product, there's no doubt whatoever."

Right.