PDA

View Full Version : Can't believe I'm starting a Lance related thread but ...

Bruce K
10-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Some people who donated to the Livestrong Foundation are asking that their donations be returned saying they were fooled.

Fooled by the need for programs to help support those fighting cancer or fooled by their hero worship?

Either way, asking for their money back just rubs me the wrong way.

Asking that Lance return any compensation he may have gotten from the foundation back to the foundation for use in the fight .... that makes way more sense to me.

BK

jischr
10-20-2012, 07:45 PM
+1
A number of charities and not-for-profits end up with bad finances and reputations for one reason or another. Susan G. Komen foundation was another high profile organization that had a scandal. It may have been local to my city or national, I don't remember. It was hotly discussed at the time but never affected the annual run. I hope the Livestrong donors can separate the cyclist from the needs of the cancer patients.

bluesea
10-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Gave money not to the cause but to LA--typical more-ons.

kestrel
10-20-2012, 08:34 PM
I still wear my livestrong rubberband. Nothing to do with Lance the man, all to do with Lance the cancer survivor and titular fundraiser. If the money is doing good, how can you not support it?

maxdog
10-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Very lame.

deanster
10-20-2012, 11:30 PM
+1
A number of charities and not-for-profits end up with bad finances and reputations for one reason or another. Susan G. Komen foundation was another high profile organization that had a scandal. It may have been local to my city or national, I don't remember. It was hotly discussed at the time but never affected the annual run. I hope the Livestrong donors can separate the cyclist from the needs of the cancer patients.

The SGK foundation is TX based and some Anti Abortion advocates removed the support for Planned Parenthood who support breast exams.
I had prostate cancer in 2001 and was in the hospital for the TdF that year. Watching the racing helped especially seeing a cancer survivor able to ride...doped or not. The support for the fight against cancer is still needed and he is a cancer survivor but, lance was such an A-hole and a bully in his efforts to keep the lid on the Peleton that he hurt a lot of people in keeping his image up. This is a tragedy of EGO.
Lance needs to come clean and remove him self from the Livestrong Foundation totally including the Board of Directors for now and apologize to the cycling world. I have a feeling the TdF is going to be made up of local club teams because there will be NO SPONSORSHIP available.
Cycling needs to be resurected once all the shoes hit the floor. It is still a fantastic thing.

slidey
10-20-2012, 11:45 PM
This. A lot of people donated money not to the cause but to feel a part of the Lance success story, and to have the opportunity to be part of events where he'd be present...none of that has any value now.

Gave money not to the cause but to LA--typical more-ons.

oldpotatoe
10-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Some people who donated to the Livestrong Foundation are asking that their donations be returned saying they were fooled.

Fooled by the need for programs to help support those fighting cancer or fooled by their hero worship?

Either way, asking for their money back just rubs me the wrong way.

Asking that Lance return any compensation he may have gotten from the foundation back to the foundation for use in the fight .... that makes way more sense to me.

BK

Heard an interview with the new CEO of the foundation. In spite of the interviewer trying repeatedly to get the CEO to agree the lance thing was hurting the cause, he correctly repeated it's about cancer, not bicycles.

Like it or don't, the foundation does great things. We have a customer with melanoma get a trip down to Austin, for support and education..he said it was literally a life saver.

I think seeing lance leave the CEO job is correct..but asking for a donation back, that's misguided, IMHO. The cycling part is falling apart, the cancer part is strong and should stay that way.

JAGI410
10-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Exactly, it's not about a bike, or even Lance. Livestrong is a great foundation that does a lot of good for a lot of people. To let Lance's problems effect support for cancer is absolutely stupid.

jeffreyt
10-21-2012, 11:31 AM
In all seriousness... when did they officially change the name from LAF to LiveStrong Foundation? All the recent articles that I have been reading, it's refered to as LiveStrong Foundation.
thanks!!!

jpw
10-21-2012, 12:27 PM
I think Armstrong will come clean, but will say he became EPO dependent during his cancer treatment.

thashicray
10-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Is this similar to all Catholics asking for their weekly contributions back after the priest scandals? I think so. Livestrong does serve a legitimate purpose in helping with outreach services and fundraising for cancer research. You can hate the man, but can't hate the mission.

As mentioned before, I too donated to Livestrong soley on the success of the man, which is truly a great marketing plan to increase their donations. But with the current events with LS and Komen, I'm more likely to make a check out to American Cancer Society - same mission, no dirty laundry...we know of.

SoCalSteve
10-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Heard an interview with the new CEO of the foundation. In spite of the interviewer trying repeatedly to get the CEO to agree the lance thing was hurting the cause, he correctly repeated it's about cancer, not bicycles.

Like it or don't, the foundation does great things. We have a customer with melanoma get a trip down to Austin, for support and education..he said it was literally a life saver.

I think seeing lance leave the CEO job is correct..but asking for a donation back, that's misguided, IMHO. The cycling part is falling apart, the cancer part is strong and should stay that way.

Thank you for putting it in perspective and so succinctly...

Tony T
10-21-2012, 04:54 PM
But with the current events with LS and Komen, I'm more likely to make a check out to American Cancer Society - same mission, no dirty laundry...we know of.

Google American Cancer Society Scandal (http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=american+cancer+society+scandal&oq=american+cancer+society+sc&gs_l=hp.3.2.0l4.2121.12174.0.15659.20.11.3.6.6.0.3 41.1920.0j9j0j2.11.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.rYjd3nYo7I I&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=721d8d413178fdae&bpcl=35466521&biw=1024&bih=594)
Anyway, different "missions". But, its always wise advice to research before contributing.

thashicray
10-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Google American Cancer Society Scandal (http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=american+cancer+society+scandal&oq=american+cancer+society+sc&gs_l=hp.3.2.0l4.2121.12174.0.15659.20.11.3.6.6.0.3 41.1920.0j9j0j2.11.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.rYjd3nYo7I I&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=721d8d413178fdae&bpcl=35466521&biw=1024&bih=594)
Anyway, different "missions". But, its always wise advice to research before contributing.

Touché

old iron rider
10-21-2012, 06:38 PM
I think Armstrong will come clean, but will say he became EPO dependent during his cancer treatment.

No he will not come clean. Financial, legal, and jailtime is plenty of reasons NOT to come clean. Why do think his former wife is under "legal" constraints to not say what she knows? The roof caves in completly if he comes clean.
His stepping down from Livestrong, { yes, I too wonder why the name change from LAF} is as close to confessing as we are ever going to get. L/A is now in full damage control, and $$$$$ assesment.
IMHO, I can and do give to other cancer organizations. I used to be a Ride for the Roses rider, but how do you give $$$ when trust is put on the back burner. You only get to do that to me ONCE.:no::