PDA

View Full Version : Alfine hub users?

Tin Turtle
10-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Is anyone using the Shimano Alfine hub, or has used them? I am thinking very seriously of using this on a Surly Ogre build as my hybrid/expedition bike. I would probably use this bike for winter rides, rides where there is a combo of pavement and limestone trails, and with bags for touring.

I am wondering about shifter options. I would like to have some different choices, including brifters if possible. I have been looking at Versa VRS-8 (http://www.sussex.com.tw/versa.html) as a choice, but I would also like to use Shimano XT disc brakes.

Anyone with ideas or comments please post.

Kirk007
10-20-2012, 01:11 PM
I've been researching this as well. The Versa 8 speed shifters don't seem to make folks very happy. The jtek bar end gets good marks. I tested a Civia Bryant with Versa 8s and left thinking they weren't ready for prime time (but I also think I'm spoiled by the precise shifting we've come to expect from really good components).

I've heard that the Versa 11 shifters are better but still not great, but in 2013 Shimano is coming out with Alfine Di2 and I think, if I'm recalling correctly, Shimano road lever shifters as part of the package. I've decided to wait. I would imagine there's a jtek barend shifter for Alfine 11 as well.

jr59
10-20-2012, 01:26 PM
I have an alfine 8 and use a jetk bar end shifter.
No problems at all

jasonlee
10-21-2012, 03:15 PM
I have used an Alfine 8 on several bikes, including one I owned with the JTEK bar end shifter and an Xtracycle that I used for several months with a trigger shifter.

Overall: feels cheap, goes out of adjustment relatively often (every few weeks for a daily user), heavy, gear spacing quite large. The trigger shifter shifts opposite of a regular mountain trigger shifter. Also, since the shifting for the hub is spring loaded to allow the use of one cable, if the cable breaks in the middle of nowhere, you are stuck in either the easiest or hardest gear (I can't remember which way the spring is loaded).**

For an hybrid/expedition bike, I would agree that an internal hub is nice as I now have a Rohloff on my 29er and don't have to worry about anything except a broken chain. The Rohloff shifter is non-indexed and has two cables routed opposed from each other that PULL to shift in either direction. **This allows you to not even run a shifter if you want to manually shift by turning the piece down at the hub and select any gear you want.

Overall, I would do an Alfine 11 on a city bike if the shifting and shifter is better.

gdw
10-21-2012, 04:09 PM
If you're building the bike up for winter riding in subfreezing temperatures Shimano disc brakes might not be the best choice. Read some of the reviews over at MTBR.com and do a few searches of the forums and you'll find that their performance degenerates as the temperature drops.

Tin Turtle
10-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Ok, thanks for the advice guys. I will look into the brakes some more. I'd like a Rohloff.. but price is too big of a hurdle for me.

miguel
10-22-2012, 01:43 PM
i have a BNIB alfine 8 trigger shifter for sale if you want...