PDA

View Full Version : Centaur carbon crank pedal inserts

dan682
10-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Hoping for a bit of advice here...

I have one of those older Centaur carbon square taper cranksets. I was attempting to remove the pedals today and on both sides the pedal inserts began to unscrew from the crank arms along with the pedals.

So I snugged them back down and then with PB blaster, propane torch, and impact wrench, was able to remove the pedals with the inserts staying put in the crank arms.

At this point, is it safe to still use the cranks? Or are they permanently damaged now that the original bond is broken?

Thanks for the help!

Dan

oldpotatoe
10-20-2012, 01:05 PM
Hoping for a bit of advice here...

I have one of those older Centaur carbon square taper cranksets. I was attempting to remove the pedals today and on both sides the pedal inserts began to unscrew from the crank arms along with the pedals.

So I snugged them back down and then with PB blaster, propane torch, and impact wrench, was able to remove the pedals with the inserts staying put in the crank arms.

At this point, is it safe to still use the cranks? Or are they permanently damaged now that the original bond is broken?

Thanks for the help!

Dan

Well, they are supposed to be tight but are also threaded in so if they are tight, they are probably OK until you try to get the pedals out again.

dan682
10-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Thanks op!

djg
10-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Honestly, I don't know if they are safe or not.

If we're talking about the inset sleeve at the end of the crank arm into which you thread the pedal, I can give you my own anecdote. A couple of years ago or so, I had one come out in real time when I jumped on the pedals -- went down hard. If I were to see play in another one, I would not ride it.