PDA

View Full Version : Think I'll pass on the bridgestones

Chris
10-13-2005, 09:33 AM
that Grant was showing at Interbike http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/oct05/suntour05/index.php?id=suntour055/KU3L1544b

dirtdigger88
10-13-2005, 09:35 AM
I like this one

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/oct05/suntour05/index.php?id=suntour055/IMG_0757b

Jason

Bud
10-13-2005, 09:38 AM
The story said his stem snapped, which is what I would have guessed from the picture. That's messed up and looks painfully brutal.

Fixed
10-13-2005, 09:39 AM
bro get the super glue I love plastic bikes. cheers :beer:

Kevan
10-13-2005, 09:46 AM
Very unforkunate.

David Kirk
10-13-2005, 09:47 AM
It looks like the steerer broke........hard to beleive eh?

Dave

Samster
10-13-2005, 09:50 AM
I think I'm almost ready to go back to all steel...

--sam

Big Dan
10-13-2005, 09:53 AM
bro get the super glue I love plastic bikes. cheers :beer:

I'm with you Fixed.
Follow these steps:

Take some glue and put the plastic sled back together.
Sniff some of the remaining glue and rejoin the action..............

:bike:

Tony Edwards
10-13-2005, 10:32 AM
Ouch, ouch, ouch! I actually like the aesthetics of the Bridgestones from Interbike, and have one as my desktop wallpaper (the red and white track bike). Obviously they're not the Bridgestones of old, which I loved, but they're handsome, as swoopy, modern bikes go.

Tailwinds
10-13-2005, 10:33 AM
Ouch!! Wonder what kind of fork/stem that is???

Looks like he tried to avoid disaster: http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/oct05/suntour05/index.php?id=suntour055/KU3L1542b

coylifut
10-13-2005, 11:05 AM
the story says his stem snapped, but from the pictures, it looks like the steerer gave way. got to hand it to the guy, it appears form the pictures he didn't take anyone else out.

sevencyclist
10-13-2005, 11:45 AM
Ouch, ouch, ouch! I actually like the aesthetics of the Bridgestones from Interbike, and have one as my desktop wallpaper (the red and white track bike). Obviously they're not the Bridgestones of old, which I loved, but they're handsome, as swoopy, modern bikes go.

It looks like the broken part is the steerer tube since the stem and handlebar are still together with the computer attached. From DirtDigger's posted picture, the steerer tube looks to be carbon.

My guess is that the fork is probably not made by Bridgestone, but could be any of the carbon forks that we ride.

DfCas
10-13-2005, 12:38 PM
steel QUILL stem and steerer

Fixed
10-13-2005, 12:42 PM
bro anything can break I bet that stem was alum. that looks like the fork the cat put on my bike after he cut my new steel fork to short advanced composites from Taiwan cheers :beer:

e-RICHIE
10-13-2005, 12:48 PM
It looks like the steerer broke........hard to beleive eh?

Dave

i too think the steeler bloke.

coylifut
10-13-2005, 12:59 PM
I'm planning a purchase of second cx bike and was thinking, why not a CF fork? Given that a top quality steel one weighs maybe 125 grams or so more, why bohter? Allthough I have to admit, I've never seen anyone snap a CF steerer tube. I have seen CF frames broken in half due to a not so spectacular pack crash.

Fixed
10-13-2005, 01:06 PM
bro anyone ever hear that sound c.f. makes when it breaks kinda like wood snapin cheers :beer:

Kevan
10-13-2005, 01:09 PM
your bike breaks as a result of a fall; it's quite another when it breaks while you're still riding it. Seems to me there's either a story leading up to this tragic ending (like cracking the steerer when dipping into a pothole) or the fork manufacturer has a quality control issue they might want to revisit.

Tailwinds
10-13-2005, 01:10 PM
I know a guy who ran his front wheel into a cattleguard that was running PARALLEL to the road and was obscured by some grass. He did a violent endo. His all-carbon Look fork broke off cleanly at the fork crown (and his carbon seatpost snapped). Again, this was a rather violent crash. I'm not sure how any fork would have held up, although I have wondered.

I'm planning a purchase of second cx bike and was thinking, why not a CF fork? Given that a top quality steel one weighs maybe 125 grams or so more, why bohter? Allthough I have to admit, I've never seen anyone snap a CF steerer tube. I have seen CF frames broken in half due to a not so spectacular pack crash.

jdoiv
10-13-2005, 01:17 PM
I know a guy who ran his front wheel into a cattleguard that was running PARALLEL to the road and was obscured by some grass. He did a violent endo. His all-carbon Look fork broke off cleanly at the fork crown (and his carbon seatpost snapped). Again, this was a rather violent crash. I'm not sure how any fork would have held up, although I have wondered.

except it was an expansion joint on a bridge. Near the end of my first century ride. Not paying attention and then WHAM! I'm on my back and my bike is on top of me. Front wheel is jammed into the expansion joint. Didn't break the steel forks on the bike though. Pulled the bike out, straightned the bars and jumped back on to finish the ride. Man was the adrenaline pumping after that. Luckily the pain and road rash didn't bother me until I was back at the car. Steel rules...

coylifut
10-13-2005, 01:35 PM

I had two teammates caught up in a violent crash at the end of the first race of last year. One of them landed on his feet and lost no skin. The CF fork on his Fuji snapped at the fork crown. The other guy ended up with a colostomy bag. I was lucky and got dropped on the climb just before the finish.

harlond
10-13-2005, 02:43 PM
I'm as ignorant as they come, but from the picture at the link below, it looks to me like his fork and post are intact. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me (which is just about everybody) could explain why it couldn't be that his star nut or whatever connects stem to post could not have come loose?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/oct05/suntour05/index.php?id=suntour055/IMG_0757b

Sorry, just noticed this photo was already linked.

Kevan
10-13-2005, 02:48 PM
I think his stem DID come off. That might explain the other photos of him ridng no-hands, the handbar swingin' about before the crash, and not until he crashed did the steerer pull itself free from the headtube. That's it!

P.S. In the photo BBD offered you can see the guy was actually trying to control the bike by grabbing the exposed steerer. I think if we had the audio for this event, we'd hear him say, in Japanese, "MOTHER!!!"

coylifut
10-13-2005, 02:58 PM
maybe you are right and the compression plug pug pulled out. his stem would have had to be really loose at the clamp. The only way we'll know is if we could see the underside of that stem to determine if the top of the steerer is attached.

what a crappy way to exit a race

dirtdigger88
10-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Much like Tailwinds and jdoiv-

a few years ago I had my front wheel go into an expansion joint in the road that ran parallel to the direction I was going- before I could get the tire out- the gap narrowed and the front wheel stuck-

Somehow as I endoed- I was able to clip out and step over the bars landing on my feet in front of my bike that was still stuck in the road-

Sometimes it pays to be an ex- mtb rider :D

Jason

Ray
10-13-2005, 03:30 PM
Much like Tailwinds and jdoiv-

a few years ago I had my front wheel go into an expansion joint in the road that ran parallel to the direction I was going- before I could get the tire out- the gap narrowed and the front wheel stuck-

Somehow as I endoed- I was able to clip out and step over the bars landing on my feet in front of my bike that was still stuck in the road-

Sometimes it pays to be an ex- mtb rider :D

Jason
I've seen that happen on mtbs. Friggin' hilarious to watch because it's so fast you don't have time to freak out. One second there's a guy riding next to you on the trial and the next second the bike stops dead and he's RUNNING next to you on the trail.

-Ray

Tom
10-13-2005, 03:36 PM
First time I hooked a tree with the bar and took a very abrupt right turn into the tree's nearest neighbor.

Second time I came down a bank, stuck the front wheel into the ditch and did the move dd88 describes. It happened so quick I looked down and went "Wha? Where bike go? Why am I standing here?" I thought I was pretty slick but I guess it is pretty common.

manet
10-13-2005, 03:51 PM
bro anyone ever hear that sound c.f. makes when it breaks kinda like wood snapin cheers :beer:

when a carbon bike shatters in the woods and there's no one around
to hear it, does it make a sound?

Kevan
10-13-2005, 04:09 PM
with a bit more forensic review of the photos taken, I'm willing to state with no level of authority whatsoever, that had the guy been on any other terrain, meaning other than going downhill, but rather had he been on a flat or inclined straight-away, I think the guy might have actually pulled this off without badly crashing. That is to say, if it weren't for the fact that one of the handlebar ends swung down and on into the spokes and hit the fork, his fate might have been different.

vandeda
10-13-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm with you Fixed.
Follow these steps:

Take some glue and put the plastic sled back together.
Sniff some of the remaining glue and rejoin the action..............

:bike:

Think The Christmas Story:

"You used up all the glue on purpose!!!!"

Dan

David Kirk
10-13-2005, 04:45 PM
with a bit more forensic review of the photos taken, I'm willing to state with no level of authority whatsoever, that had the guy been on any other terrain, meaning other than going downhill, but rather had he been on a flat or inclined straight-away, I think the guy might have actually pulled this off without badly crashing. That is to say, if it weren't for the fact that one of the handlebar ends swung down and on into the spokes and hit the fork, his fate might have been different.

So.............if I were to take this to the next logical step........one should only use solid disc front wheels if they are also using a carbon steerer. That way the bars won't get caught in the spokes. Problem solved!

I'm so smart.

Dave

dirtdigger88
10-13-2005, 04:47 PM
Dave- maybe you could start building forks out of something better than carbon fiber- hmmmm. . . I cant think of what it would be- :confused:

Would steel work :D

Jason

Fixed
10-13-2005, 07:20 PM
bro what's old is new again .cheers :beer:

Kevan
10-14-2005, 07:04 AM
So.............if I were to take this to the next logical step........one should only use solid disc front wheels if they are also using a carbon steerer. That way the bars won't get caught in the spokes. Problem solved!

I'm so smart.

Dave

Hold on there Dave.... I think there might be an easier solution for all of us.

You know how we use safety straps to secure skis or snowboards to our boots? Well, why not install a safety strap from our handlebar to say... oh, our seat post? That way if the handlebar breaks off, it would be kept free from falling into the front wheel and it would certainly be cheaper than having to go out and buy a new plywood solid-disc front wheel, now wouldn't it?

Now that's what I call some smart thinking. Why, there's no telling what my next brain-child's gonna be! If I'm not being too forward... I have some ideas for your framebuilding. I'll be in touch... partner.

sspielman
10-14-2005, 07:59 AM
The fender eyelets probably created a stress riser leading to the failure...OR, the stem was set at too great a height exposing too much unsupported fork column....

dirtdigger88
10-14-2005, 08:22 AM
maybe sometimes. . .

SH*T HAPPENS!!