PDA

View Full Version : Any Montana members? I am coming to interview 11/2

cetuximab
10-20-2012, 06:09 AM
I am coming to Helena to interview November 2. I have been dreaming about riding beartooth pass. It might be too late in the season. Or any mountain rides close to Helena.

I would also like to hear what you love about Montana. I am from southeast Idaho.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. If you want to come to Albuquerque, I would love to show you one of my classic local rides.

David Kirk
10-20-2012, 07:34 AM
I don't know the riding in Helena at all but I do know the Beartooth is closed for the season at this point. Winter is closing in at this point............

Dave

Kirk007
10-20-2012, 10:27 AM
MacDonald Pass is close to Helena; never ridden it so not sure how it is from that perspective but its beautiful (and potentially very cold). I'd think more about mountain biking. Lots of close in trails in Helena. There's a pretty good shop that rents mountain bike; don't recall the name of it but its just a few blocks off of Last Chance Gultch. Go to the Blackfoot Brewery and ask a local; I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction. Helena is a really nice, small, friendly community.

Karin Kirk
10-20-2012, 07:12 PM
Agree with the others. Helena shines in the MTB department. Does that interest you?

What do I like about MT? It's really empty and unspoiled; nice long snowy winter; and clean air, water and land. I also like that there are towns that offer all the modern comforts of life (like great coffee, a wonderful public library, easy access to organic foods, for example) while still being relatively in the middle of nowhere. It's easy to find a place in the middle of nowhere, but it's not so easy to have the emptiness yet still have the nice things that come with a larger city.

Good luck with your interview! :)

cetuximab
10-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback on Montana.

I hope the interview goes well. I would love to come to Montana. I have heard the schools are great. My girls are 4 and 2. I have heard there is a good biking culture, so we can find people to bike with. Some of my best kayaking days were on the Lochsa and Clarks Fork.

Given the temp in early nov, a mtb ride would be easier.

If I get the job. I can come ride Beartooth. I will have to check out MacDonald Pass.

I spoke with Big Sky Cyclery and they rent bikes. I will bring my shoes and gear. The local trails will be a factor in the decision.

Thanks again.