PDA

View Full Version : who's on a waiting list (custom frames)

AngryScientist
10-19-2012, 11:14 AM
just curious who's waiting for what out there??

http://www.lanavaughan.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/record-number-of-students-placed-on-waiting-lists-10041402.jpg

rbtmcardle
10-19-2012, 11:20 AM
in my 6th year i think on Sachs
deposit in to Kirk as well

mbakes
10-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Waiting on a DeSalvo Ti road bike. I will not take possession until after the show in February.

jr59
10-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Custom Ti rando by Spectrum!

Just got the word it's on the way back from Seven.
Now the paint! So soon.

fourflys
10-19-2012, 11:28 AM
on the list for a Sachs... got a LONG time to wait...

MattTuck
10-19-2012, 11:30 AM
On the list with Dave Kirk.

DRZRM
10-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Just got my Zanc 29er, so no lists for me. I'll post pics once build is complete but it looks hot!!! As do his new TIG'ed road and cross frames. Seem like a pretty affordable way onto custom.

PQJ
10-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Me. Sachs. More than 2 yrs, less than 5.

SPOKE
10-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Sachs is in process.....probably awaiting paint now. This is my second one from Richard and I'm sure it will be just as sweet as the first one!!!!

Have a deposit on one more from Dave Kirk too!

krhea
10-19-2012, 11:43 AM
I hope to be on someone's wait list by the end of the weekend. Tomorrow and Sunday is the Oregon Handmade Show and I'm attending with "deposit in hand" for some lucky builder...I'm really hopeful something or someone really grabs my attention and I leave the show "poorer" than when I arrived.

I've been excited all week and my wife's accusing me of being worse than our children as Christmas approaches.

fourflys
10-19-2012, 11:45 AM
I hope to be on someone's wait list by the end of the weekend. Tomorrow and Sunday is the Oregon Handmade Show and I'm attending with "deposit in hand" for some lucky builder...I'm really hopeful something or someone really grabs my attention and I leave the show "poorer" than when I arrived.

I've been excited all week and my wife's accusing me of being worse than our children as Christmas approaches.

awesome! :D

scrubadub
10-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Sachs here too. Got my Zank a few months ago and have been loving it.

MattTuck
10-19-2012, 11:46 AM

Kevin, that's awesome. Take some pictures of the show for us unable to attend.

I'm now excited for you!

Joachim
10-19-2012, 11:49 AM
I'm on the list for a Groovy Ti road frame from Groovycycleworks...only 5 more years.

nrs5000
10-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Another on the Kirk list here.

54ny77
10-19-2012, 12:42 PM
i am and i'm looking forward to next summer.

steel, baby. steel.

Fishbike
10-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Waiting on a lugged steel sorta retro beauty from Circle A in providence. .. .

handsomerob
10-19-2012, 12:49 PM

Now the paint! So soon.

That sounds tre cool.

William
10-19-2012, 12:52 PM

There will be a lot of stellar builders there. Say Hi to Eric for us when you hit the Winter booth.:)

William

alexstar
10-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Rock Lobster.

Considering getting on the list for a Kirk or Anderson... I've been a good boy, I deserve it, etc...

gearguywb
10-19-2012, 02:09 PM
I need to be on a list....

Pondering Kirk....Anderson....Eriksen

yashcha
10-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Waiting on a custom road disc gravel machine from Tonic fabrications. They are doing a lot of very cool things and their prices are still very reasonable.

ultraman6970
10-19-2012, 02:18 PM
I believe the waiting list for 611 bikes is like 8 months to a year now.

mattsbeers
10-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Hunter, about a year out.

jeffreyt
10-19-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm waiting on a Zank road frame. I believe that it's out at Keith Anderson's for painting as we speak.

I believe that Keith is also in possession my Jonny single speed cross frame that my hero Drew (Engin) just recently was kind enough to repair.

dekindy
10-19-2012, 04:36 PM
No Serotta, Bedford, Strong, Parlee, IF, etc.; mostly Kirk...interesting.

kohlboto
10-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Hampsten Strada Bianca Ti...
I'm half way up the list...maybe two months out

danielpack22@ma
10-19-2012, 04:40 PM
+1
I love what he's building right now!

There will be a lot of stellar builders there. Say Hi to Eric for us when you hit the Winter booth.:)

William

miguel
10-19-2012, 05:34 PM
deposit in at Winter Bicycles/Eric Estlund
not even sure what i want yet

rbtmcardle
10-19-2012, 05:41 PM

Now the paint! So soon.

Really looking forward to seeing yours complete.. Have been waffling on one of these for a bit..

MattTuck
10-19-2012, 05:46 PM

Maybe we should change the name from Paceline to Kirkframeworks Waitlist

Bob Ross
10-19-2012, 06:00 PM
I'm ...uh... (goes and checks calendar...then goes and digs around in a file folder looking for a receipt) ...okay, I'm 5 years in on a Sachs. But who's counting?

Marburg
10-19-2012, 06:15 PM
Ha ha. Eight (9?) years on the Matt Chester waiting list. Or is it a support group?

bicycletricycle
10-19-2012, 06:22 PM
always wanted a matt chester but i guess thats just impossible.

im on the list for another chapman cycles.

http://www.chapmancycles.com/

Brian is cooking up some sweet rides these days.

going to get a porteur.

only a 6 month wait right now :)

jlwdm
10-19-2012, 06:27 PM

Just 4 Kirks to 3 Sachs.

Jeff

jr59
10-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Just 4 Kirks to 3 Sachs.

Jeff

Well, those 2 guys sure do post here a lot!

Hmmm......

:cool:

Frankwurst
10-19-2012, 07:46 PM
I'm done. I was on one, received the coach and said to myself "self there is no where to go from here". :beer:

jmeloy
10-19-2012, 09:30 PM
A custom Speedvagen Road.

Nooch
10-19-2012, 09:38 PM
I will, someday, in 2014, hopefully, have a Bedford... But that's more of a self-imposed/finances imposed wait list of my own, i'd say..

rounder
10-19-2012, 09:46 PM

New Bedford bike has been delivered. Thing looks beautiful so far. Can't wait to ride it.

wallymann
10-19-2012, 09:47 PM
replacing a cracked downtube, adding some select braze-ons, and going from GAN blue to molteni burnt-orange.

this frame is quite interesting. the columbus thron OS tubeset mimics alot of the geometric enhancement of the MXL's max: the main tubes are mildly phat, but keep the same wall thickness of SL so it's definitely overbuilt. and the chainstays are BIG, again like those found in max. should be an interesting ride, a tweener between a traditional SL corsa and beefy MAX mxl.

http://brown-snout.com/cycling/bikes/merckx_corsa-os/WP_001714.jpg

mister
10-19-2012, 10:45 PM
deposit in at Winter Bicycles/Eric Estlund
not even sure what i want yet

awzm
figure out what you want bro
sheeeyit

i'm got no desire for another custom
got a davidson a few years ago
still working fine and i only had to wait about 3 months

also got an old kvale used that fits me perfectly

sold my other bikes...

joep2517
10-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Someone is going to get this beaut soon.... :)

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb67/Joep721/FF155-Build-13-1.jpg

:eek:

CSBArizona
10-21-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm in line for a classic lugged steel frame/fork from Tucson's own Andy Gilmour--Columbus SL (the modern version, but traditional dimensions), Andy's own custom thunderbird lugs, Campagnolo horizontal dropouts, lugged steel fork--

I'm excited to give the carbon bikes a rest and get back on steel -

Chris

majorpat
10-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Rock Lobster steel road on the way from Paul!

Andrewlcox
10-21-2012, 10:44 PM
I've got a deposit down on a Winter Bicycles / Eric Estlund.

Can't decide if I should option up for the Rohloff or not.

ottavayan
10-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Moots or Hampsten or eriksen or calfee adventure.... Decisions, decisions.

AngryScientist
10-22-2012, 06:25 AM
interesting everyone, thanks for posting!

i'll be at the philly bike show this weekend, and i'm pretty sure i'll have a deposit down on something. i have a pretty good idea what, but we'll see how the weekend turns out.

i have to say, as another poster alluded to: in the days of excellent framebuilders being so readily accessible, has Serotta totally lost their relevance in the high end bike market??

sc53
10-22-2012, 07:03 AM
My Bedford Ti Sport Tourer--with Enve carbon cross fork and Paul's touring canti's--is due in early November. I'm getting a white top/exposed Ti rear paint scheme with exposed Ti decals. I think it's been welded together at this point but no pix yet. Plan on Brooks saddle, fatter tires and Dura Ace build with XT rear derailleur, 11-30 or 32 cassette for gravel road grinding.

Fishbike
10-22-2012, 07:06 AM

i'll be at the philly bike show this weekend, and i'm pretty sure i'll have a deposit down on something. i have a pretty good idea what, but we'll see how the weekend turns out.

i have to say, as another poster alluded to: in the days of excellent framebuilders being so readily accessible, has Serotta totally lost their relevance in the high end bike market??

So much has been written about Serotta's miscues. But in many ways it is a victim of its own success. It proved that there is a big market for custom, precision American-made bikes. It was one of the first high end custom builders and was the progenitor of so many niche builders. It is still relevant in a grandfatherly kind of way. But there is a ton of competition. Competition is great for consumers. But as a result far fewer folks looking for an aspirational bike are dreaming of Serottas. Just read this thread. . .

happycampyer
10-22-2012, 07:29 AM

i have to say, as another poster alluded to: in the days of excellent framebuilders being so readily accessible, has Serotta totally lost their relevance in the high end bike market??Since i only ride it a couple of times a year, I've been thinking of selling my RSL and replacing it with a Legend, but I don't think of Serotta (or Moots, Seven, IF, etc.) as a "wait list" builder.

Re wait lists, I'm waiting for a Sachs as well, and I'm on Sacha's list to get on his list.

djg
10-22-2012, 07:32 AM

Now the paint! So soon.

Nice. It's not my type of event, but I've seen a couple of really cool and well integrated examples from Spectrum.

And from my own experience, I'd say Tom's going to kill it on the paint.

Should be sweet. Many happy miles. Or maybe for rando, many, many, many happy miles.

BShow
10-22-2012, 08:01 AM
I wish I was on the list for a few bikes, but unfortunately, I'm not on anybody's list.

PaMtbRider
10-22-2012, 08:30 AM

So how did the weekend turn out? Is your name now on a list?

oldpotatoe
10-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Moots or Hampsten or eriksen or calfee adventure.... Decisions, decisions.

Moots is about 8 weeks right now...for info.

Getting a CR, plumbed for EPS for this spring, demo bike. Have the Divide and YBB, Psyclo-cross, Vamoots, RSL..demo fleet is pretty complete.

Ahneida Ride
10-22-2012, 09:59 AM
I will, someday, in 2014, hopefully, have a Bedford... But that's more of a self-imposed/finances imposed wait list of my own, i'd say..

I just got my Bedford over the summer !

jmoore
10-22-2012, 03:05 PM
We will see how things stand after the TX show this weekend. I might be able to hold out.

I'm itching for something new but need to sell the apparently immovable MX Leader first.

Russity
10-22-2012, 03:34 PM
I've got one of these in undercoat at the moment. Delivery will be Christmas. This is my third ROBERTS. Should sit nicely alongside the Speedvagen CX and the STRONG in the steel area of the garage.

Chas is a bit old school, but boy does he make a nice bike. Very professional and very very good at what he does.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertscycles/4331155252/

jr59
10-22-2012, 03:41 PM
We will see how things stand after the TX show this weekend. I might be able to hold out.

I'm itching for something new but need to sell the apparently immovable MX Leader first.

It's not immovable! Just priced where somebody will have to see the bike and HAVE to have it. That will take the perfect person at the perfect time.

It's a nice bike. Just not a best deal out there.

BTW; I think it's worth the $$$.

54ny77
10-22-2012, 04:02 PM
is anyone on a $&#! list for being on a build list?

:banana:

jmoore
10-22-2012, 04:38 PM
It's not immovable! Just priced where somebody will have to see the bike and HAVE to have it. That will take the perfect person at the perfect time.

It's a nice bike. Just not a best deal out there.

BTW; I think it's worth the $$$.

I agree with you on all this. I won't sell it low just to get rid of it. I'd bargain a bit but I'm not going to give it away. Heck, I'm riding it pretty much full time right now anyway, so it's obviously not bothering me too much :p

I'm going to ride it to the TX show this weekend with a For Sale sign on it. Maybe someone will bite.

miguel
10-22-2012, 05:23 PM
is anyone on a $&#! list for being on a build list?
:banana:
YEP
Especially when one of our friends asked how much it was going to cost and she replied
"huh, this is the first time i've actually heard how much it's going to be"
:help:

sevencyclist
10-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Peter Weigle for 3 years already and might start within the year.

Llewellyn
10-22-2012, 07:06 PM
I won't even wait 10 minutes for a bus. I don't know how people could wait 7+ years for a Richard Sachs.

At least you'd have time to save up the money.

MattTuck
10-22-2012, 07:11 PM
I won't even wait 10 minutes for a bus. I don't know how people could wait 7+ years for a Richard Sachs.

If the bus was made by Richard Sachs you'd wait for it, and be damned thankful for the opportunity, atmo.

jmoore
10-22-2012, 09:19 PM
is anyone NOT on a $&#! list for being on a build list?

fixed it for you

jmoore
10-22-2012, 09:20 PM
YEP
Especially when one of our friends asked how much it was going to cost and she replied
"huh, this is the first time i've actually heard how much it's going to be"
:help:

$167.83 is the correct answer

Bob Ross
10-23-2012, 09:30 AM

^^^That's kind of the Clif Notes version of why I even considered getting on the list in the first place; if Richard's wait list had been measured in weeks instead of years, I couldn't have afforded it!

FlashUNC
10-23-2012, 09:46 AM
So just a functional question for those in a queue for 5 years or more. How do you stay in touch? Ensure that you're still in your spot in line? What happens if you move?

For something that far out, I'd tend to think I'd just forget about it after 24 or 36 months.

djg
10-23-2012, 11:40 AM

I hear ya -- it's a long time -- and I've never waited more than a year myself, but really, most of the folks in the queue probably have the money and I'll guess that none of them is sitting at home, with no bike to ride, just waiting. Somebody always wanted a particular bike from a particular guy, so he or she plunks down a deposit, which is not a fortune, and gets on with his or her life both on and off the bike while "waiting" for the builder to work through the list. If the bike or the builder or the model of doing business doesn't appeal to you, you can always go elsewhere. What's wrong with that?

spiderman
10-23-2012, 11:56 AM

with my bike collection as it is...that'll be about the time
i'll be ready for another bike.
...just hard to tell what i'll be able to ride by then...

Dave B
10-23-2012, 11:58 AM
I am on e-richie's list, but I am going to hold out until he makes mountain bikes! ;)

jamaris
10-23-2012, 11:59 AM

Yeah I hear this, I am assuming you can make revisions once it is your time though?

Does the frame price get locked in or do you have to wait 7 years to find out the price? I always forget

rbtmcardle
10-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Yeah I hear this, I am assuming you can make revisions once it is your time though?

Does the frame price get locked in or do you have to wait 7 years to find out the price? I always forget

No lock in.. market price when frame is built.

Rada
10-23-2012, 12:52 PM
I've got a deposit down on a Winter Bicycles / Eric Estlund.

Can't decide if I should option up for the Rohloff or not.

Any idea on current wait time for Winter Bicycles?

EricEstlund
10-23-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm currently about 8 months out for full builds- trying desperately to keep it under a year.

Some small parts (stems, forks, etc) are quicker- best to contact me about your specific needs.

SamIAm
10-23-2012, 01:14 PM
On the list for several Goodrich's.

Rada
10-23-2012, 01:17 PM
I'm currently about 8 months out for full builds- trying desperately to keep it under a year.

Some small parts (stems, forks, etc) are quicker- best to contact me about your specific needs.

Thanks Eric. Sounds like business is good.

Joachim
10-23-2012, 01:17 PM

Several? Will one be in my size?

miguel
10-23-2012, 01:21 PM
woops
didnt see the new posts

jimcav
10-23-2012, 01:32 PM
Kirk's
Trying to decide this very moment about stock vs custom on another builder

SamIAm
10-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Several? Will one be in my size?

One could be exactly your size:)

pdmtong
10-23-2012, 03:21 PM
I find myself in the odd place of being satisfied. well, almost. the last one would have to be ordered, built, and waited for, but getting on a list is not a requirement

rjfr
10-23-2012, 03:47 PM
The frame has been built, waiting for paint and delivery, so not exactly on a waiting list, but still waiting for delivery.

Llewellyn
10-23-2012, 04:28 PM
I hear ya -- it's a long time -- and I've never waited more than a year myself, but really, most of the folks in the queue probably have the money and I'll guess that none of them is sitting at home, with no bike to ride, just waiting. Somebody always wanted a particular bike from a particular guy, so he or she plunks down a deposit, which is not a fortune, and gets on with his or her life both on and off the bike while "waiting" for the builder to work through the list. If the bike or the builder or the model of doing business doesn't appeal to you, you can always go elsewhere. What's wrong with that?

My comment was more of a light-hearted dig at how long people are prepared to wait, rather than a critical comment. I actually quite admire someone who's prepared to wait that long for their dream frame.

Personally, I would actually be prepared to go on a wait list for a frame that I really, really wanted, but I'd only want that to be one year, two years absolute maximum. But that's just me.

Dazza's wait list is about a year, so that's within my parameters.

Llewellyn
10-23-2012, 04:30 PM

To be honest spiderman, with a Llewellyn I feel that my collection is complete. Except for another one of course :cool:

jr59
10-23-2012, 04:38 PM

Hmmm.... I guess I could ask the question as well. 1 my size??
Or maybe you might be selling a few more frames?

eippo1
10-23-2012, 05:17 PM
I have no issue with picking up second-hand custom bikes, especially when the dimensions and build details are exactly what I'd desire. That's how I got my TI Dean. Didn't get on my wife's **** list for it either.

fuzzalow
10-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Not currently on a wait list as I just fell off of two.

This year was a first and never again to be repeated. Took delivery on 2 custom bikes during 2012. The wait time on one slightly over 5 years and the wait time on the second about 7 months.

Should be done for a while as there is nothing else I want. Really.

boomana
10-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Maybe we should change the name from Paceline to Kirkframeworks Waitlist

Made a deposit four months ago. I wonder how many times it's possible to change your mind about paint color while waiting.

sevencyclist
10-23-2012, 06:57 PM
I find myself in the odd place of being satisfied. well, almost. the last one would have to be ordered, built, and waited for, but getting on a list is not a requirement

Does not look like anything is missing from your list.

mbakes
10-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Made a deposit four months ago. I wonder how many times it's possible to change your mind about paint color while waiting.

Knowing you, many more times. :)

Jason E
10-23-2012, 07:23 PM
I have a Ti Firefly inbound to replace my '97 Atlanta. I am 3 weeks in to the 'wait'.

I have a 7-Series H1 52cm Project 1 coming in to replace my destroyed Ottrott.

I would like to thank the drunk driver that nailed me this summer, and her insurance for both of these fine steeds.

gone
10-23-2012, 07:49 PM
I would like to thank the drunk driver that nailed me this summer, and her insurance for both of these fine steeds.
Tough way to get a new bike.

MattTuck
10-23-2012, 08:04 PM
I have a Ti Firefly inbound to replace my '97 Atlanta. I am 3 weeks in to the 'wait'.

I have a 7-Series H1 52cm Project 1 coming in to replace my destroyed Ottrott.

I wonder what happens if it was a Richard Sachs. Wonder if you'd get compensation for pain and suffering during the 7 year wait. Or a Vanilla, I don't even think they're taking new orders.