PDA

View Full Version : Ti / CF frames

vav
10-19-2012, 05:19 AM
Any real advantages/pluses to Ti/CF frames? Or just clever marketing?
What would a Fierte IT offer that a Fierte TI, steel or carbon wouldn't?
Or any other bike by that matter?

FWIW I am considering purchasing a Ti/CF frame and I am curious to check some of your feedback.
Thanks
V

Fishbike
10-19-2012, 05:27 AM
There are some really comprehensive threads on the the topic that I researched here last week. I think I searched "Eiium," one of the SEven Ti/Carbon frames. I thinks it is fair to say that the the consensus of the group is that Ti/Carbon frames can be great but don't really add anything over quality all Ti or all carbon frames. Many folks believe they are gimicky.

djg
10-19-2012, 06:53 AM
Tons of posts on the topic. I've had a couple of different versions of this -- a Colnago CT1 (Ti main frame, same CF rear triangle as a C40), a Serotta HSG Ti (which has cf seat stays, and which I'm still riding), and come to think of it, my Spectrum Ti has a CF fork.

Just WRT the first two -- both really good bikes, both different, and I don't know that there's any reason not to have all Ti (as per my Spectrum, which is awesome, and an earlier Serotta GP Suisse, excellent, that was stolen) or all CF (as per my Look 585, which I picked up used for a song -- I really like it).

Really, I think there's the issue of trusting the builder, or taking a really good look at a particular frame to see if it suits you. It's not that a builder/company couldn't use the materials differently, it's just that the range of design variables seems large enough to swamp the material differences -- whether we're talking just one frame material or two. I don't think there's any reason to disqualify a mixed materials frame, but I don't think that the combo, in and of itself, necessarily conveys much of anything.

mvrider
10-19-2012, 08:32 AM
As the other threads probably conclude, there is no sweeping generalization about Ti/C frames that can be made. My Ottrott sings, my favorite after my Responsorium. The Elium I test rode shuddered like a washing machine on the descent.

jlwdm
10-19-2012, 08:42 AM
Five years of pure bliss with my carbon/ti Serotta Nove. Ottrott has been a favorite with most owners for years.

Jeff

KF9YR
10-19-2012, 10:02 AM
My favorite bike is my Ottrott.

I have a carbon and a Ti also but the Ottrot has the edge for me.

Chance
10-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Any real advantages/pluses to Ti/CF frames?

One plus is that Titanium frames may not be as vulnerable to being damaged in crashes, minor accidents, and so forth as 100 percent carbon. By using carbon in the seat stays where it does the most good to improve ride it may minimize the chance of the frame being damaged if you drop something like a large wrench on it. Both are great materials but Ti seems more durable to me when it's not used to make an ultra light frame. Can last a life time.

tv_vt
10-19-2012, 10:18 AM
I love my Fierte IT. One data point for ya.

572cv
10-19-2012, 10:34 AM
I have the Fierte Ti with the carbon wishbone seat stay and an F3 fork, now set up as a travel bike with S+S. I love this bike: totally confidence inspiring on descents, light enough, stiff enough, and handles very well in general. And absorbs road nicely- quite comfortable. That, I think, is a side benefit of the carbon bits.

PaMtbRider
10-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Whenever this question comes up someone usually mentions Ben Serotta's statement that if he could only have one bike it would be an Ottrott. I have to agree. I love the ride of my Ottrott.

SPOKE
10-19-2012, 11:51 AM
Whenever this question comes up someone usually mentions Ben Serotta's statement that if he could only have one bike it would be an Ottrott. I have to agree. I love the ride of my Ottrott.

I agree....