PDA

View Full Version : Fall/Winter Glove Recommendations

xeladragon
10-18-2012, 11:21 PM
Recommendations for gloves that are preferably less than $50 and are good for the 30-55F temperature range? I don't wear gloves when it's warmer than that, and when it's colder, I have those lobster claw things. This is mostly for road/commuting if that matters. I've been looking at the PI Cyclone, Giro Ambient 2, and Gore Mistral. Any opinions on those? Something better out there? Thanks.

Ken C
10-19-2012, 01:39 AM
Recommendations for gloves that are preferably less than $50 and are good for the 30-55F temperature range? I don't wear gloves when it's warmer than that, and when it's colder, I have those lobster claw things. This is mostly for road/commuting if that matters. I've been looking at the PI Cyclone, Giro Ambient 2, and Gore Mistral. Any opinions on those? Something better out there? Thanks.

I have a pair of the Gore Abient and they are really nice and are durable.

xeladragon
10-19-2012, 08:13 AM
I have a pair of the Gore Abient and they are really nice and are durable.

Good to know... thanks. I've read online that they're marketed as water proof/resistant but are actually not. Is that true?

FlashUNC
10-19-2012, 08:18 AM
I've had good success with DeFeet's wool gloves. They're not water/windproof, but they also breathe well enough that you're stuck with clam hand at the end of the ride. Can also layer them if its super cold, and they're cheap to boot.

Dromen
10-19-2012, 08:18 AM
haven't ridden wet so cant comment on that but perfect for the temp you described. $40 full retail(forgot mine and had to buy em)

christian
10-19-2012, 08:28 AM
For that temp range, I use thin fleece gloves under regular cycling gloves.

Hank Scorpio
10-19-2012, 08:41 AM
I used the Pearl Pro softshell gloves last year any they held up great. One small hole in the finger but that was from an accident not a faulty seam. Almost as warm as the PI Lobster claws.

rugbysecondrow
10-19-2012, 08:43 AM
http://www.rei.com/product/766531/manzella-silkweight-windstopper-gloves-mens

I use these and am really happy with them. They keep the wind off, are comfortable and I feel like I have good dexterity. When the temps dip, I just wear wool underneath them and they still work really well. This is great for this time of year as it might be 35 when the ride starts, but 55 when the ride ends.

charliedid
10-19-2012, 09:10 AM
I like these...http://shop.ibex.com/Apparel/Zing/Kilometer-Glove-II

Lewym
10-19-2012, 09:17 AM
I like these...http://shop.ibex.com/Apparel/Zing/Kilometer-Glove-II

+1 on the Ibex Kilometer glove. Perfect for that temp zone.

xeladragon
10-19-2012, 09:19 AM

This is what I've been doing... thin North Face gloves under full finger MTB gloves, but the latter are ready to be retired, so looking to replace them.

I've tried on the Specialized BG Deflect at a LBS... they're an option as well.

Those Manzella gloves look promising... might have to stop by REI to try them out.

Ibex are a little too pricey.

wpod
10-19-2012, 09:44 AM
Good tip...does that require sizing up your standard cycling glove size?

christian
10-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Good tip...does that require sizing up your standard cycling glove size?Not for me, but I use a pretty shagged old pair of gloves, which have undoubtedly stretched. During the summer I rarely/never wear gloves.

MattTuck
10-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Not for me, but I use a pretty shagged old pair of gloves, which have undoubtedly stretched. During the summer I rarely/never wear gloves.

I'm with christian. This seems like the most economic approach. Let the cycling glove do it's job on the outside where you contact the bar, and let the cheap fleece/wool glove provide some warmth. I use EMS gloves similar to these under my gloves. http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11925264&cp=3707807.11308435.3693385

572cv
10-19-2012, 10:54 AM
I'm excited about the LG Lahti gloves I picked up recently. These are a layering system glove. The inner is a full finger, thin but with wind resistance and grippy strips built in, just like a similar product from Assos. The outer is 3m insulated. You can wear either or both. Has been great the times I've worn them so far.

xeladragon
10-19-2012, 08:00 PM
FYI, tried on some Gore Power SO gloves at the LBS today. Fit's great, not bulky, and should be plenty warm. Came home and found them for 50% off on Amazon. Score!

http://www.amazon.com/Gore-Bike-Wear-Power-Gloves/dp/B004QL7O2G/ref=pd_sbs_a_5

christian
10-19-2012, 08:09 PM
FYI, tried on some Gore Power SO gloves at the LBS today. Fit's great, not bulky, and should be plenty warm. Came home and found them for 50% off on Amazon. Score!Wow, you're a dick. Enjoy the gloves, I guess.

redir
10-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Wow, you're a dick. Enjoy the gloves, I guess.

Seems a bit uncalled for. Save money and you are a dick? Or is this local tribalism kind of thing? What if the bike shop just down the street had the same gloves for 50% off? would he still be a dick?

///

FWIW at those temp ranges I use a liner glove under regular gloves. The lower end of that range is pushing it but for just commuting it's fine.

xeladragon
10-19-2012, 08:36 PM

Am I the only person who's ever gone into a store to check out products in person, leave empty-handed, then end up finding a good deal elsewhere that's too good to pass up? Gimme a break, bro.

Anyway, as for liner plus glove, I'll probably still do that from time-to-time. It's nice to have options though.

fuzzalow
10-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Um, maybe lost track and thought this was across the hall.

rugbysecondrow
10-19-2012, 09:06 PM

It is cool to buy online, but not really after you have taken advantage of the inventory that LBS had on hand. There is a cost they incur for you to test drive clothes only to buy elsewhere.

Not a cool move.

xeladragon
10-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Not a cool move.

Man... had no idea there were forum members here that doubled as shopping etiquette police. I thought I was doing something nice by alerting others of a good online deal (no one else sells those gloves for less than $45 pre-shipping). I guess I'll keep my purchases to myself next time.

FWIW, I do buy from LBSs. But just because I visit a local shop (any store, not restricted to just bikes) to check out their inventory of a certain product type, all of a sudden, I'm not allowed to buy elsewhere? C'mon... that's craziness...

froze
10-19-2012, 10:50 PM
I'm cheap, so I just throw a pair of non riding gloves over my half finger gloves and ride.

fuzzalow
10-19-2012, 10:54 PM
I thought I was doing something nice by alerting others of a good online deal (no one else sells those gloves for less than $45 pre-shipping). I guess I'll keep my purchases to myself next time.

No, just keep on doing what you want to do. Nuthin' wrong with either getting a good deal or telling your friends about it.

FWIW, I think that anyone who does all their own wrenching and knows their sizing has very little need to patron a LBS. So when I transact with my LBS it is very purposefully done with little concern for a better deal 'cos I know that going in and I empathize with a smaller independent trying to make margin.

There's no need to heap sanctimony on you for getting a better deal. Both sides of this issue are well known to all. Spending money is the equivalent to free speech and everyone here is all for the unencumbered exercise of that.

froze
10-20-2012, 12:22 AM
I think what Rugbysecondrow was hinting at or saying that if you go into a LBS and a sales rep helps you then you should buy whatever it was the sales rep helped you with because they get commission and spent time with you trying to help you, and in those instances it really isn't cool to just leave and then buy that item the LBS sales rep helped you with just so you can get a lower cost, and that sales rep could have helped someone else and made some commission instead of making nothing with you. So in that respect I don't think Rugbysecondrow was out of line. Put yourself in the salesrep's shoes. If no sales rep helped you at all and you put everything back in their original place then I don't see too much of a problem doing that, but I don't usually do that, I'll buy it depending on cost. Most stuff I buy off the internet because I know I an save at least 30% of the cost from going into an LBS, but I've been riding for 40 years and I know what I want without going into an LBS to pick their brains or mess their stock up.

rugbysecondrow
10-20-2012, 06:59 AM
I think what Rugbysecondrow was hinting at or saying that if you go into a LBS and a sales rep helps you then you should buy whatever it was the sales rep helped you with because they get commission and spent time with you trying to help you, and in those instances it really isn't cool to just leave and then buy that item the LBS sales rep helped you with just so you can get a lower cost, and that sales rep could have helped someone else and made some commission instead of making nothing with you. So in that respect I don't think Rugbysecondrow was out of line. Put yourself in the salesrep's shoes. If no sales rep helped you at all and you put everything back in their original place then I don't see too much of a problem doing that, but I don't usually do that, I'll buy it depending on cost. Most stuff I buy off the internet because I know I an save at least 30% of the cost from going into an LBS, but I've been riding for 40 years and I know what I want without going into an LBS to pick their brains or mess their stock up.

This is the crux of it. I am not a LBS or bust guy, but I do recognize that the main reason the OP was able to save 50% was because the LBS stocked the right gear and had enough sized inventory for him to try it on and order the right size. If you want to order online, that is fine and saving 50% is good too, but then you risk ordering the wrong size and maybe having to return that item.

xeladragon
10-20-2012, 08:57 AM

Agreed. I didn't ask for any help. I put everything back where it was supposed to be. No harm. No foul.

Agreed as well. Look, I didn't go into the LBS to "take advantage of them" by checking out a particular item that I was already set on buying online, but I wanted to try it on in a store first. I went because I knew they'd have a few options in stock, I left without purchasing anything because I was still undecided, and when I got home, there happened to be a great deal online. We all support local business, but we all work hard for our money as well.

Cool? Cool. Carry on...

Steelman
10-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Pearl Izumi has a number of soft shell gloves in the $50 range and under.

I like mine, but the lighter model doesn't offer much in the way of padding and they might not be warm enough below freezing.

redir
10-20-2012, 04:33 PM
BTW for the lower temps the Lobster gloves can't be beat.

djg
10-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Agreed. I didn't ask for any help. I put everything back where it was supposed to be. No harm. No foul.

Agreed as well. Look, I didn't go into the LBS to "take advantage of them" by checking out a particular item that I was already set on buying online, but I wanted to try it on in a store first. I went because I knew they'd have a few options in stock, I left without purchasing anything because I was still undecided, and when I got home, there happened to be a great deal online. We all support local business, but we all work hard for our money as well.

Cool? Cool. Carry on...

I think that's just the kind of thing that happens. It's called shopping. Going into a shop to try on shoes or kit, and maybe getting some help besides, with the intention of shopping online to save a few bucks seems low to me. One doesn't owe the shop anything past a fair shot and honest dealings, and that falls short.

On the other hand, what you described . . . just because you've seen something live in one store or another is not a promise that you'll never buy it anywhere else. Leaving undecided . . . well, you might see it at another LBS, or online, later that day, the next week or whatever. Just seems like retail shopping. And if I were running a retail business, I sure as heck wouldn't want people to feel as if they couldn't stop by without a firm commitment.

Seems ok to me. FWIW, I actually bought some PI gloves at the LBS today.

froze
10-20-2012, 11:25 PM
I bought some PI Select gloves myself at an LBS because they were half finger gloves so they had them sale due to being out of season for $15.