PDA

View Full Version : Quality vs. Quantity (How to measure/compare your riding?)

MattTuck
10-18-2012, 09:54 PM
So, strava keeps track of year to date mileage, elevation gain and time.

Mileage is a nice standard number that is comparable across regions and time. But as we all know, 20 miles with 2,000 feet of elevation gain is much different than 20 miles with 400 feet of elevation gain.

As we move into the winter (us up North) we tend to ride outside less miles, but still may put in a few hours per week on a trainer.

What are people's thoughts on keeping track of your riding so it makes the most sense to you?

tannhauser
10-18-2012, 10:00 PM
There is no metric. Just ride. The rest is navel gazing.

Mr. Squirrel
10-18-2012, 10:09 PM

i enjoy measuring my nuts.

http://img.webmd.com/dtmcms/live/webmd/consumer_assets/site_images/articles/health_tools/make_your_own_trail_mix_slideshow/webmd_rf_photo_of_cup_of_nuts.jpg

and my wheels. how many wheels do you have and where do you ride? nuk nuk nuk!

mr. squirrel

nm87710
10-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Track time and intensity.
Good Luck!

poff
10-18-2012, 10:30 PM
What are you training for? Just to make yourself feel better?

MattTuck
10-18-2012, 10:47 PM
What are you training for? Just to make yourself feel better?

Pretty much. :beer:

I'll hit 2,000 miles this year, which I am happy about. Honestly, it was on my mind how to compare my 2,000 miles vs. someone else's. Mine are mostly in 20-40 mile chunks with somewhat hilly sections. I have 106K ft of climbing so far. Wondering how that compares to what I could do if I were living in (let's say) kansas.... not necessarily better or worse, just how to compare.

And, I'm happy to start any thread that doesn't involve Sheryll Crow's ex.

CNY rider
10-19-2012, 05:42 AM

Agreed.
To the OP: I would suggest doing a little experiment.
Take off your cycle computer, HR monitor etc. Everything electronic and just ride your bike. For a month.
I did this myself about 5 years ago and that stuff is still down in the basement.
Don't knock it til you try it.:beer:

Ray
10-19-2012, 05:49 AM
My metric is whether I'm looking forward to the next ride or dreading it. The difference between me now and three or four years ago is that if I'm looking forward to it, I do it, and if I'm dreading it I don't. So, I don't ride as much as I used to but I almost always enjoy it when I do. And yeah, I'm slower, and I have no idea how many miles I've ridden other than I know its less than when I was riding a lot. Quality wins even if quantity loses...

-Ray

jr59
10-19-2012, 06:09 AM
Pretty much. :beer:

I'll hit 2,000 miles this year, which I am happy about. Honestly, it was on my mind how to compare my 2,000 miles vs. someone else's. Mine are mostly in 20-40 mile chunks with somewhat hilly sections. I have 106K ft of climbing so far. Wondering how that compares to what I could do if I were living in (let's say) kansas.... not necessarily better or worse, just how to compare.

And, I'm happy to start any thread that doesn't involve Sheryll Crow's ex.

First, 100% agree with no Sheryl Crow's ex.
Second, after being off the bike for 120 days and just now getting back;
I'm really happy for any ride.
So, I'll speak of last years, It's very flat here, warm but flat. I can ride 100 miles with less than 400 feet in climbing. I ride almost every day, twice a week I try to ride hard. With a group of guy half my age and weight!

Most time I just put in a good ride, just avg paced and not much else.

These days, my mind wants to go VERY hard, and my heart, lungs, and legs say NO WAY! So I'll ease around this winter and try to put in a base. Then try to pick it up around March.

FRI; I normally get 1000-1500 a month!

R2D2
10-19-2012, 06:15 AM
First, 100% agree with no Sheryl Crow's ex.

I happen to like Eric Clapton.
Clapton is God.

soulspinner
10-19-2012, 06:17 AM
Agreed.
Take off your cycle computer, HR monitor etc. Everything electronic and just ride your bike. For a month.
I did this myself about 5 years ago and that stuff is still down in the basement.

:beer:

ergott
10-19-2012, 06:42 AM
Honestly, it was on my mind how to compare my 2,000 miles vs. someone else's.

Whatever you do, don't do this. There is never a way to compare considering all the variables (rider and environment). If you do want to keep track it's better to keep comparisons to your history, not someone else's. I compare current riding to previous years all the time. Am I riding more, less, more intense, what kind of rides, ect.?

:beer:

phcollard
10-19-2012, 07:02 AM
Agreed.

Exactly. I still start Strava on my iPhone before every ride but it's more to record my rides. No stats while I'm on the bike (but I'm still happy when I break my own personal records).

northbend
10-19-2012, 07:30 AM
I log my rides with photos. Not interested in progress anymore, just in it for the memories. I've collected some great memories this year.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj140/northbend/P1040416.jpg

oldpotatoe
10-19-2012, 07:32 AM
Agreed.

What he said, I ride with a watch.

And like Matt said, just ride to feel better. Ride, feel better, pretty simple.

I think 'some' make this riding thing too much like a job, a chore, a goal oriented thing, a problem to solve.

For me, it's just mechanical meditation, get on bike, spin pedals..I don't care where I go, how fast I go, how far I go. I ride until I'm tired(hopefully matching when I get home) or when I'm out of time and have to get to the shop.

A chance to forget about inventory control, cash flow, numbers, etc.....

Figure out why you ride and the 'how well you ride', measuring riding, comes pretty easy, IMHO.

bobswire
10-19-2012, 07:37 AM
I log my rides with photos. Not interested in progress anymore, just in it for the memories. I've collected some great memories this year.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj140/northbend/P1040416.jpg

Great pic, did you set it up yourself ?

Yesterday is was 74° and was having a great ride but had to stop to get a photo of myself with the skyline in the background. Need to get one with me moving.

http://i49.tinypic.com/34qsevp.jpg

jr59
10-19-2012, 07:42 AM

I think 'some' make this riding thing too much like a job, a chore, a goal oriented thing, a problem to solve.

For me, it's just mechanical meditation, get on bike, spin pedals..I don't care where I go, how fast I go, how far I go. I ride until I'm tired(hopefully matching when I get home) or when I'm out of time and have to get to the shop.

Figure out why you ride and the 'how well you ride', measuring riding, comes pretty easy, IMHO.

Yea, but it's a nice watch!!!:D

But, this is really the way to go. If you aren't racing. Even if you are, take some time to just ride your bike. Spin the pedals, sit up, look around, go down a road that you have never been on. I like the term mechanical meditation.

Well written Peter.

phcollard
10-19-2012, 07:53 AM

Where is the 'like' button? Well said Peter :)

FlashUNC
10-19-2012, 08:04 AM
I ride with Strava just to record where I've gone, in case I want to get back there again. But otherwise its in my back pocket and I'm not thinking about it.

Oddly enough, I'm on track for one of my heaviest mileage years in, well, years despite being laid up for two months.

I used to keep training logs and all this other stuff, but second what lots of others have already said. Just ride.

jlwdm
10-19-2012, 08:55 AM
If you have competitive cycling goals and want to get better get a power meter and a great traing program and/or coach.

Not trying to be harsh, but you are riding an average of 6 miles per day. Why would you be trying to compare with other riders? Enjoy your riding.

Jeff

malcolm
10-19-2012, 08:59 AM

I like numbers, milage, distance etc., but as I've gotten older the above is more what I'm doing and I find I enjoy it more. Evey once in a while someone will blow by me on the road or trail and I'll briefly think about getting out the computer or getting on the computrainer for some intervals, but it quickly passes. I think I enjoy more now than I have in years.

zap
10-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Mileage is a nice standard number that is comparable across regions and time. But as we all know, 20 miles with 2,000 feet of elevation gain is much different than 20 miles with 400 feet of elevation gain.

That's why some folks keep track of time rather than miles.

mcteague
10-19-2012, 09:38 AM
I still have a CatEye Strada Wireless computer as I hate to wear a watch on the bike. Only really wear one at work. These last few years, once I hit 50 anyway, I am less and less concerned about time and distance. Still, I do like to have an idea about that stuff.

On the other hand, the battery died at one point and it took me a while to get a new one. Those rides were particularly pleasant. Guess I should learn from that.

Tim

MattTuck
10-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Ok, this is got way more philosophic than I was expecting, but it is still a good discussion. I'm in no way addicted to the numbers, more curious how they relate is all. As some may know, I aimed to ride every road in town this year. That kind of goal is about exploring new roads and seeing things that I haven't seen before. So I'm in the same camp as those who ride to ride -- after the fact though (since the GPS records everything) it is fun to see how it stacks up.

PS. I stop on strava segments to take pictures for you guys :P

redir
10-19-2012, 10:57 AM
Like cny rider said, I got rid of my gadgets about 5 years ago and won't ever use them again. The way I track my progress is by racing with the same people a couple times a month. This time of year it's cyclocross and I get to see guys I have not seen since the year before. If they are kicking my arse then I know I am doing bad.

malcolm
10-19-2012, 11:00 AM
It's very hard to compare your miles and times to someone else and all miles are not equal. If you are looking for fittness various intervals compared against yourself can be telling.