PDA

View Full Version : Discourteous Dog Walkers

elcolombiano
10-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Why is it that every time I go for a ride there always seems to be someone walking with miniature Chihuahua on a 10 meter long leash made of fishing line. The dog starts crossing the street and by the time the 10 meter long leash is taught he is almost across the street and the owner steps off the curb. All of this happens as I am approaching the intersection at 25 miles per hour. I can't go ahead of the dog or behind the dog walker because they are taking up the whole width of the street. I know in the USA pedestrians have the right of way but why can't these people have more common sense and courtesy? If you are at an intersection and you see a cyclist approaching at a high rate of speed can't you wait a second and let him go by?

54ny77
10-18-2012, 09:05 PM
http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/cats/IMAGES/lancearmsrtong/images/DSC_0153.jpg

Louis
10-18-2012, 09:06 PM
I am approaching the intersection at 25 miles per hour.

Wow.

Ken Robb
10-18-2012, 09:10 PM
few pedestrians expect a bicycle to be approaching an intersection so fast if they see him at all.

ultraman6970
10-18-2012, 09:15 PM
"Why is it that every time I go for a ride there always seems to be someone walking with miniature Chihuahua on a 10 meter long leash made of fishing line"

Because some people is just f... IDIOT!! thats why! :)

eddief
10-18-2012, 09:58 PM
as do their owners.

4Rings6Stars
10-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Just start running the dogs over. After a half a dozen or so, the word will get out and people will know how much of a badass you are and learn to stay out of your way.

Or go slower through town.

Pars
10-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Until the dog takes you down running him/her over :crap:

Was riding the Prairie Path here last year for the only time. Two dogs come up from the wooded ditch and get all the way across the path right in front of me, both on extending leashes. Clueless owner arrives, with me doing a track stand impression, and meekly apologizes :rolleyes: Thankfully she pulled them back before I fell over, and I got going without doing so.

BBB
10-18-2012, 10:44 PM
Those extendable dog leads are honestly quite stupid. When the owner is on one side of the bike path and the dog, on the extendable lead, is on the other, something is a little messed up.

MattTuck
10-18-2012, 10:52 PM
Yell "Strava!"

I heard it is like getting the star in super mario brothers. You can do whatever you want for the next 30 seconds, with no consequences.

Unfortunately, riding in the same area as dogs and other people is always more dangerous than riding alone. Getting a bell is probably the least douchebaggy way of dealing with them.

Otherwise, find somewhere different to ride?

PQJ
10-19-2012, 09:07 AM
as do their owners.

It's not at all fair to impute the stupidity of the owner to the dog. Some breeds of small dogs are actually among the cleverest of all canines, notwithstanding the relative lack of cranial real estate.

thegunner
10-19-2012, 09:15 AM

good... finally someone who got this thread back on track :)

zap
10-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Nothing like a solid lead.

But really, one needs to keep eye's wide open and relax. In the grand scheme of things, this is a small matter.

Oh, one more item, pedestrians have the right of way in many countries.

malcolm
10-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Yell "Strava!"

I heard it is like getting the star in super mario brothers. You can do whatever you want for the next 30 seconds, with no consequences.

Unfortunately, riding in the same area as dogs and other people is always more dangerous than riding alone. Getting a bell is probably the least douchebaggy way of dealing with them.

Otherwise, find somewhere different to ride?

awesome I'm getting strava

redir
10-19-2012, 09:45 AM

:LOL:

:beer:

Fixed
10-19-2012, 09:46 AM
In my little village a six foot lead is the max by law . Any longer and they are breaking the law ..
Cheers

FlashUNC
10-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Not just bikes you have to worry about it seems:

http://www.dogasaur.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/long-leash.jpg

gavingould
10-19-2012, 11:25 AM
worse here (chicago)- i walk my dog on the sidewalk... and i should mention, it is illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk unless under the age of 12.

several times a week i'm nearly run down by some moron cruising up the sidewalk - oblivious, on cell phone, drunk, headphones, etc

perhaps i should also mention that i'm 6'4, not of small build, and walking a 75lb greyhound on a robust 6ft lead - you'd think people would see us and think about it for a second before riding straight into me. kids have always given way... most of 'em are afraid of the big dog, even though he is far more frightened of them! i guess adults around here are just too stupid.

slidey
10-19-2012, 11:52 AM
I hear you...and those stupid dogs are nothing but over-sized rodents. Run them over...you'll have done the world a favour!

54ny77
10-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Does that fall into the, "Discourteous Sea Otter Walkers" category?

Not just bikes you have to worry about it seems:

http://www.dogasaur.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/long-leash.jpg

eddief
10-19-2012, 01:21 PM
i just commented on the size of their brains. i leave it you to impune which of the two actors is stupid. i love the doggies. not so much the small brained humans.

It's not at all fair to impute the stupidity of the owner to the dog. Some breeds of small dogs are actually among the cleverest of all canines, notwithstanding the relative lack of cranial real estate.

esldude
10-19-2012, 01:42 PM
It has occurred to me an air pistol would be handy in these situations which I find common on streets that have no sidewalk in my area.

But how do you use it? Pop the dog, when it is really the owner's fault? On the other hand popping the owner to get his attention would work fine. I just think there would be bad side effects from that action.

Of course you could then go with the airsoft. Still, don't think that would be appreciated all that much either.

I mostly try to keep my cool and enjoy the ride. It really is all just part of being out there.

mandasol
10-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Why is it that every time I go for a drive there always seems to be someone riding his bike blocking my lane. All of this happens as I am approaching the intersection at 50 miles per hour. I can't go ahead of the cyclist or behind the cyclist because they are taking up the whole width of the street. I know in the USA cyclists have the right to ride on public streets but why can't these people have more common sense and courtesy? If you are at an intersection and you see a car approaching at a high rate of speed can't you wait a second and let him go by?

I read the original post an thought how remarkably similar it sounds to drivers ranting about cyclists.

54ny77
10-19-2012, 02:18 PM
that is nuts, an air pistol to scare dogs? total overkill.

i have a small handheld ultrasonic thingie that's about as big as a lighter. bought it on ebay or amazon, can't remember. works wonders, i've had german shepherds yelp and retreat, but first they look at me really funny as if, "what the hell was that?"

try it, it works. or, at least it did for me.

It has occurred to me an air pistol would be handy in these situations which I find common on streets that have no sidewalk in my area.

But how do you use it? Pop the dog, when it is really the owner's fault? On the other hand popping the owner to get his attention would work fine. I just think there would be bad side effects from that action.

Of course you could then go with the airsoft. Still, don't think that would be appreciated all that much either.

I mostly try to keep my cool and enjoy the ride. It really is all just part of being out there.

esldude
10-19-2012, 03:10 PM
that is nuts, an air pistol to scare dogs? total overkill.

i have a small handheld ultrasonic thingie that's about as big as a lighter. bought it on ebay or amazon, can't remember. works wonders, i've had german shepherds yelp and retreat, but first they look at me really funny as if, "what the hell was that?"

try it, it works. or, at least it did for me.

Just to be clear about the air pistol, the thought has crossed my mind. Now I didn't mean to imply that anyone really should, or that I have been on the verge of actually doing such. Just the thought popped up at times.

Your ultrasonic suggestion is a good idea though. Or maybe a ultrasonic dog whistle hanging around your neck.

Of course I do regularly cross a fellow with an aged Chihuaha that is old and near deaf.

kentileguy
10-19-2012, 04:31 PM
People keep their dogs on leashes by you? Lucky!

wasfast
10-19-2012, 09:13 PM
...or if you speeding on a motorcycle, the dog owner and motorcyclist die:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/oct/15/two-dead-at-penasquitos-accident-site/

Just happened a couple days several miles from me.

54ny77
10-19-2012, 09:42 PM
rather than get into the details, i actually got it in order to deal with a slimeball neighbor's dog.

that issue has since resolved itself...

but riding with one, well, that might be interesting i guess. ya never know?

Just to be clear about the air pistol, the thought has crossed my mind. Now I didn't mean to imply that anyone really should, or that I have been on the verge of actually doing such. Just the thought popped up at times.

Your ultrasonic suggestion is a good idea though. Or maybe a ultrasonic dog whistle hanging around your neck.

Of course I do regularly cross a fellow with an aged Chihuaha that is old and near deaf.