PDA

View Full Version : Good summary of confession mathematics

echelon_john
10-18-2012, 11:04 AM
https://pvcycling.wordpress.com/2012/10/17/the-coming-confession/

And it's pretty clear that that's all it is at this point: mathematics. Just like it was for Nike, Trek, et al.

Louis
10-18-2012, 11:26 AM
I don't see how he can do it without looking like a complete idiot.

Either way, he's dammed if he does, and damned if he doesn't. These days most folks are thinking "Does Lance really think we still believe him? Just how stupid does he think we are?"

67-59
10-18-2012, 11:37 AM
I don't see how he can do it without looking like a complete idiot.

Kinda like Tyler "where's my twin" Hamilton and Floyd "gimme money to prove I'm innocent" Landis? They "confessed" and are now portrayed by many as "courageous victims" for speaking out. Heck, some here have contributed to Tyler's cause by buying his book....

Lance can do it, too. There were probably 180 dopers in the peloton many of those years...and Lance will still be among the first dozen or so to "confess."

Hawker
10-18-2012, 11:43 AM
Yea, pretty good summary. Wonder if it will happen tomorrow or next week?

He will probably do it when the media is distracted with other things, like the presidential debate perhaps?

Louis
10-18-2012, 11:44 AM
67-59 - I hear you, but it was much easier for those guys to play the "pawns of the system" card.

The Big Boss can't do that.

67-59
10-18-2012, 11:59 AM
67-59 - I hear you, but it was much easier for those guys to play the "pawns of the system" card.

Except that pre-cancer, and even when he first came back, he wasn't the "Big Boss." Most teams weren't even interested when he first announced his comeback. Seems like it'd be easy to portray "doing what everybody else did" as being necessary to get back. Heck, he can even point back to a body that had been ravaged by cancer...something that neither Tyler nor Floyd could do.

There was doping before Lance....

mistermo
10-18-2012, 02:20 PM
These days most folks are thinking "Does Lance really think we still believe him? Just how stupid does he think we are?"

Who is "We"?

On velonews, the paceline or any cycling forum, the vast majority no longer believe the Lance myth.

But when you take a look at posters' comments on the NYT, or MSNBC, or any non-cycling web site, there are still many, many believers.

1centaur
10-18-2012, 05:49 PM

"There's 18 inches of snow blocking the pass, Lance. You can't go up."

"What do you mean 'I can't'?"

malcolm
10-18-2012, 06:17 PM
I think the guy makes a lot of sense, if he doesn't confess soon he'll wind up living under a bridge.

I think if he spilled it all, and started with an apology to the likes of former teammates, betsy, emma and the like. Then laid out the whole sordid story, many would forgive him. Look at the people that refused to accept him cheating all along when it was obvious either he was doping or extraterrestrial.

Of course we'll get the same thing we got from the rest of them, just enough to seem real while saving face and making excuses as much as possible.

ctcyclistbob
10-18-2012, 07:51 PM
I think if he spilled it all, and started with an apology to the likes of former teammates, betsy, emma and the like. Then laid out the whole sordid story, many would forgive him.

Agreed. Our society forgives everyone, eventually.

shorelocal
10-19-2012, 12:06 AM
If he confesses, my bet is he blames the UCI for allowing the drug culture to take over the sport.