PDA

View Full Version : the biggest question that needs to be answered...when will livestrong stiffarm lance?

spiderman
10-18-2012, 09:10 AM
:help:i know it's his foundation...
...in order to go forward however
lance may need to turn over the reigns
unless
he comes clean--
...for my money
the emporer needs new clothes.
maybe lance will let us know
that his doping caused his cancer in the first place--
now that truth (if it's true) could actually raise cancer awareness,
research and the battle for an ultimate cure for cancer
to an entirely new level...

oldpotatoe
10-18-2012, 09:12 AM
:help:i know it's his foundation...
...in order to go forward however
lance may need to turn over the reigns
unless
he comes clean--
...for my money
the emporer needs new clothes.
to an entirely new level...

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/10/news/must-read-armstrong-steps-down-from-livestrong-chairman-position_261691

fiamme red
10-18-2012, 09:33 AM
to an entirely new level...How could Lance or anyone know whether that's true?

spiderman
10-18-2012, 09:46 AM
i love when the forum answers all my questions for me...
...ok, let's ride...

spiderman
10-18-2012, 09:47 AM
How could Lance or anyone know whether that's true?

lance and his doctor know...

fiamme red
10-18-2012, 09:51 AM
lance and his doctor know...I don't see how his doctor could be sure that doping was the cause. Besides, it's unlikely that it was the cause, as Goonster pointed out:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1223594&postcount=21

malcolm
10-18-2012, 10:21 AM
There is absolutely no way to know with any certainty if PEDs caused his cancer. I know of no evidence linking a germ cell testicular cancer to PEDs. Is it possible, who knows, but with the data available today I don't think you can say with enough certainty to surpass speculation. Testicular cancer is common, life time risk about 1 in 250 or so, it's very treatable even once metastatic the survival rate is fairly high, higher than when Lance was dx.

spiderman
10-18-2012, 10:57 AM
There is absolutely no way to know with any certainty if PEDs caused his cancer. I know of no evidence linking a germ cell testicular cancer to PEDs. Is it possible, who knows, but with the data available today I don't think you can say with enough certainty to surpass speculation. Testicular cancer is common, life time risk about 1 in 250 or so, it's very treatable even once metastatic the survival rate is fairly high, higher than when Lance was dx.

are you as sure about this as you sound...
...stop...
breath...
think...
breath...
really
??

BumbleBeeDave
10-18-2012, 11:09 AM
. . . that suggestion turned up fairly quickly in comments on several online stories I saw yesterday and on Facebook threads.

I think it's a conclusion many people are going to jump to whether it's reasonable or not. Just worse for LA because it's the kind of "everybody knows" thing that spreads and before you know it becomes conventional wisdom--even if there's no truth whatsoever to it.

BBD

malcolm
10-18-2012, 01:15 PM
are you as sure about this as you sound...
...stop...
breath...
think...
breath...
really
??

Absolutely. You will find no clinical evidence at least not in enough abundance to prove it caused his cancer. Cancer is just too multifactorial, triggers/inducers, genetic predisposition and the list goes on. Even the most studied everyday carcinogen tobacco smoke, probably requires help in producing cancer and the evidence for it being a carcinogen is overwhelming.

That PEDs caused Lance's cancer is pure speculation, well mostly speculation. Aided and abetted possible caused, hardly.

If you could find an increase incidence of testicular cancer in the cycling ranks that would certainly support it but still probably not prove it.

malcolm
10-18-2012, 01:17 PM
. . . that suggestion turned up fairly quickly in comments on several online stories I saw yesterday and on Facebook threads.

I think it's a conclusion many people are going to jump to whether it's reasonable or not. Just worse for LA because it's the kind of "everybody knows" thing that spreads and before you know it becomes conventional wisdom--even if there's no truth whatsoever to it.

BBD

that is the only reason I even say anything, not that I really care why he got it. To me it's meaningless, but in my opinion it perpetuates misinformation about an illness that already has enough difficulty associated with it.