PDA

View Full Version : I hate you, goatheads!

carlucci1106
10-18-2012, 07:02 AM
I have probably spent close to $150 on flat repairs this year between my MTB, road, and fixie: between sealant, new tubes, patches, liners. I'm done!
No, not really. I have to go to Wal-Mart and get some more patches. Damn you, goatheads. I spend more time fixing tubes than riding!

Share your goathead woes here. Thanks

AgilisMerlin
10-18-2012, 07:04 AM
you also have to throw in the gun wielding, bottle throwing locals :D

carlucci1106
10-18-2012, 07:06 AM
you also have to throw in the gun wielding, bottle throwing locals :D

Yeah I dodge road glass a lot too:mad:

AngryScientist
10-18-2012, 07:10 AM
go get yourself a bottle of real rubber cement, and cut your own patches out of an old tube. i've been using this method for years.

fortunately, we dont have many goatheads around here. unfortunately what we do have is morons who find it funny to throw glass bottles in the road. who does that!!?!

http://static.www.odcdn.com/pictures/us/od/sk/lg/443650_sk_lg.jpg

carlucci1106
10-18-2012, 07:15 AM
Thanks Scientist...

I have thought about doing that, but I get flats so often that I am focused on prevention not reaction. I WILL NOT go to thorn resistant tubes. I run liners with standard tubes with True Goo. But I still seem to get them all the time. I'm thinking my tires in my MTB are not right. I run Hutchinson Pythons.

When you get one in the sidewall, ya got nothin, cause the liner is not there and the sealant doesn't get there as well. Le sigh...

CunegoFan
10-18-2012, 07:24 AM
Latex sealent works great for MTB and goatheads. When I ran tubes, I would keep track of how many thorns I pulled out of my tires. Hitting fifty was not uncommon.

For a road bike you are pretty much screwed. The Arizona guys use "The System" but that seems really extreme and must ride like crap.

carlucci1106
10-18-2012, 07:40 AM
The Arizona guys use "The System" but that seems really extreme and must ride like crap.

I worked at a bike shop and lived in Greeley, CO for a few years. We would suggest thorn resistant tubes slime and heavy liners. This almost prevented all flats, but was def. aimed toward the casual rider.

That system adds serious weight and takes most of the compliance out of your tires. I payed a lot of money for light high-end wheels. I'm not about to ruin that with that kind of clunkiness for sure.

Lewis Moon
10-18-2012, 07:46 AM
Ahem.....

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3u340XUCz1r68th6o1_1280.jpg

cetuximab
10-18-2012, 08:54 AM
Albuquerque is the goathead capital. I had marathon plus on my commuter bike bike and not got a flat in 5k miles. I have 29r that I commute on with "the system". No flats but not as many miles, I just built it up the spring. I can feel the wheel weight accelerating from a stop, but it is worth not fixing flats. I don't want to be late for work. Besides I ride my bike for the exercise, not to get there 30 sec sooner. I get a smug feeling screaming through road debris, when the other bikers swerve into the car lane to avoid the debris.

My race bike has armadillos. They are more flat resistant than gatorskins.

AgilisMerlin
10-18-2012, 08:58 AM
quote above, literal when living in Santa Fe

bottle, as at ones head

lewis, beautiful picture

Lewis Moon
10-18-2012, 09:50 AM

bottle, as at ones head

lewis, beautiful picture

...wish it were mine...I have a dozen like it, just not where I can get at them. The cholla just glow during the "golden hour" in the evening.

Back on topic: I was selling a bike and a potential buyer came by for a test ride. Long story short: when he returned there were 15+ goatheads in each tire. He didn't buy it.

carlucci1106
10-18-2012, 09:55 AM

bottle, as at ones head

lewis, beautiful picture

:eek:

jvp
10-18-2012, 10:11 AM
We call them "sand spurs" here in NC, where they seem to be limited mostly to the coastal sections. Once while staying at Carolina Beach I went for a ~1 hr. road bike ride, at that time all I had was a brand new mtn. bike. Upon returning to the motel I thought I would be clever and take advantage of the fat tires, so I cut through the lawn to gain the parking lot instead of taking the proper lot entrance. When I got in the elevator with my bike I heard a "ssssss"...both tires got hit.

Aaron O
10-18-2012, 10:16 AM
They look like IEDs...

And here I thought glass was bad! Those look VICIOUS!

azrider
10-18-2012, 10:20 AM
i feel your pain

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=116181&highlight=resistant

sevencyclist
10-18-2012, 10:25 AM
I have some of those thorns where I live, and caused quite a few MTB flats. I finally switched to Stan's tubeless with sealant and it has been good so far over the past three months. I am keeping my fingers crossed.